First Whole30 for mangio_bene

mangio_bene

Day 22

1 espresso, 1 iced americano

M1: scrambled eggs with bacon, tomatillo, leeks and green onions

M2: leftover grilled pork ribs and zucchini

M3: grilled chicken, mashed cauliflower, zucchini sauteed in coconut oil with onions and minced garlic plus the strawberries I forgot to eat last night

herbal tea after dinner

On the grilled pork ribs from last night and today my boyfriend marinated them in a mixture of pure apple and orange juices (not from concentrate and no sugar added), ginger, garlic and other spices.  It turned out really good.

Jennor, I'm of Italian descent and speak the language albeit not perfect. I travel to Italy and/or elsewhere in Europe every year.  Haven't been to Sweden yet though!

post-43295-0-17989600-1399346183_thumb.j

Day 23

M2: grilled chicken, leftover mashed cauliflower

M3: sauteed langostinos and napa cabbage, roasted beets and salad of romaine, cucumber, tomato, olive oil, balsamico

after dinner herbal tea

Usually I make slaw out of cabbage but tonight I sauteed napa cabbage in sesame oil and seasoned with freshly sqeezed lime juice, salt and pepper.  We both thought it tasted delicious and it will be on the menu again.  I also sauteed the langostinos in sesame oil with  minced onion & garlic, salt, pepper and lime juice.  It was good too and they went well together.  I generally peel and quarter beets, coat them in olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in the oven for about an hour at 350.  Because I wanted them faster tonight I sliced them but it didn't really speed up the time much. 

I've added photos of the beets as they were so pretty raw but after roasting they turned orange. I was a little disappointed in the color change because the all purple or all red beets don't turn color.  I don't know why I named it radish ... it was a beet.

Jennor, I will happily accept a Whole30 meal should I ever make it that far north. 

post-43295-0-61496800-1399436786_thumb.j

post-43295-0-80086700-1399436794_thumb.j

Day 24

M2: grilled chicken, roasted beets, salad: romaine, cucumber, tomatoes (no dressing)

M3: buffalo patty, red chard sauteed in coconut oil with minced garlic and onions

after dinner herbal tea

Only one week to go.  However, I'm going to continue an extra week until I leave for a 10 day vacation.  I don't feel like anything has changed as far as how I feel physically other than it seems like my allergies are less annoying this spring even when we had super high allergen levels a week ago.  I am inclined to think it's the lack of dairy that may be helping but probably can't prove it very easily since by the time I decide to reintroduce dairy the allergens will be much lower.

Day 25

M2: buffalo patty, red chard leftovers, salad: romaine, cucumber, tomatoes (no dressing)

M3: salmon cooked in olive oil, ginger and freshly squeezed orange juice, napa cabbage with ginger sauteed in sesame oil

I sauteed the rest of the napa cabbage in sesame oil and added grated ginger to it but this was the core part rather than the leafy part so it was less tender than when  I made it two days ago. While it wasn't quite as delicious it was still pretty good.  I prefer to have a lot of variety with my veggies.  The dark spot on top of the salmon in the attached photo is a bit of the ginger that crystalized.  It was a burst of intense slightly sweet flavor.  I have to give credit to the boyfriend for the salmon as that was his idea.

post-43295-0-69366900-1399609399_thumb.j

Day 26 (yesterday)

1 iced americano

M1: eggs fried in ghee, cucumber/tomato salad, handful of mixed olives

M2: grilled halibut with guac, sauteed veggies with salsa, huge salad w/no dressing (from high end mexican restaurant)

M3: deconstructed tacos: romaine shells, homemade chorizo with onions, guac, salsa & cilantro, sauteed zucchini and onions with cumin

I cut the romaine leaves in half using the leafy part for the taco shell so it was bendable and saved the rest for another meal.  It worked pretty well and satisfied my craving for tacos. I wasn't even disappointed at the lack of cheese.  I don't actually like tortillas (corn or flour) all that much ... they're simply a vehicle for the filling.  For M2 I met someone for lunch and after discussion with the waitress came up with a plan.  They make a huge guac with pomegranite seeds.  I took over half it home.  I love Mexican food but so much of the standards you find at typical restaurants aren't compliant.  At home I can experiment more to get the flavors.     

Day 27 (yesterday)

2 iced americanos

M1: eggs fried in ghee, romaine/cucumber with salsa, handful of mixed olives

M2: salad: leftover chorizo, romaine, salsa

M3: homemade linguica, zucchini sauteed in sesame oil w/onions and garlic

I was a little light on veggies for the first two meals yesterday since we were completely out of everything except romaine and cucumber.  The bf was gone for most of the day but took me grocery shopping when he got home.  I love to cook but detest shopping for food so we always go together which makes it more tolerable for me.

Day 28

2 iced americanos

M1: eggs fried in ghee, homemade linguica, cucumber/tomato

M2: salad: wild tuna w/homemade mayo, romaine, cucumber, tomato, olive oil & balsamico

M3: banh mi w/homemade mayo, pickled daikon/carrots and napa cabbage sauteed in sesame oil

I've been busy today.  I ground up 5 lbs of pork.  I made 2 lbs of banh mi (freezing 1 lb) using the recipe from http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/02/09/paleo-banh-mi-sliders/  ... the only change I made was to omit the honey in the daikon/carrot mix and make the mayo without the coconut aminos which I keep forgetting to look for when I go to Whole Foods. I kept reading about banh mi in other people's logs so I had to make it.  I have an Asian cookbook with a banh mi recipe and the primary difference is they use a very thin piece of pork shoulder rather than ground pork and they use a lot of sugar rather than honey in the pickle mix but otherwise it's very close to Steph's recipe.  I froze 3 one lb pound packages of pork for future use.

I have been making my own sausage for about a year now but my old grinder couldn't handle fat at all (it jammed up the machine) so my pork was super lean ... too lean.  I bought a new heavy duty grinder and this time it's way too fatty so next time I'll have to get rid of about half the fat to get to a point where it's about right.   I love my new grinder.  I did the 5 lbs in 20 minutes (grinding twice).  With the old machine it would have taken an hour or two to grind once.

Because I bought a pork shoulder with bone I had about two pounds of bone/meat leftover so I've been cooking it all day with bay leaf, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.  I'll shred the meat and freeze it and strain the broth and freeze 2-3 one cup containers for future use.  After dinner, I'll be making a breakfast sage sausage/rutabaga hash and scrambled eggs w/sauteed spinach for the weeks breakfasts.

On a postive note ... the bf told me he wanted to do the Whole30 until we go on vacation in a week and a half.  Evidently he weighed himself this morning and gained back what he had lost during the first two weeks I was doing the Whole30. :D 

Oh it sounds so good! Do you stuff your sausage meat too, or just fry it as patties? I'd love to make my own sausages too eventually. But it will have to be when the kids are a few years older and I am in less of a survival mood in the kitchen. I can easily see myself getting sucked in and spending an entire day in the kitchen experimenting with that... :)

Day 29

M1: breakfast sage sausage/rutabaga hash and scrambled eggs w/sauteed spinach

M2: banh mi w/homemade mayo, pickled daikon/carrots and napa cabbage sauteed in sesame oil

M3: grilled chicken, mashed parsnips/carrots w/ghee & coconut oil, zucchini sauteed in coconut oil

after dinner: herbal tea

I thought the rutabaga hash wasn't too bad compared to turnip or sweet potatoes but I still would prefer white potatoes.  They absorb the meat and other flavors more.  

Day 30!

M2: leftovers: grilled chicken, mashed parsnips/carrots, zucchini

M3: pork belly, fried quail egg, arugula, beets, asparagus

I met some friends for dinner after work and had a delicious meal that I believe was compliant based on conversation with the waiter. Today is day #30!. I'm continuing on for another week or so and plan to weigh in over the weekend and take measurements to see how much I've lost.  Today I was able to comfortably get to the 4th notch on my belt which is about an inch from the 3rd.

Day 31

M2: beef patty, salad: romaine, tomato, cucumber, olive oil, balsamico 

M3: scallops (cooked in coconut oil), mashed parsnips/carrots

I'm off work today so did a weigh/measure this morning

Weight lost: 5.2lbs

Inches lost: 1.25" bust, 2" waist, .5" hips which seems about right proportionately as I tend to be top heavy. 

I've always been on the slender side until I hit menopause at which time I gained about 15lbs in a couple of months  and over time I put on another 15lbs when I met my boyfriend about four years ago.  We like to cook and we like to go out to eat at all types of restaurants (ethnic, pubs, fine dining ... anything but chains).  About a year ago we did an anti-inflammatory diet for several months that was very similar to the Whole30 and lost the weight we had gained together but we were both kind of stuck there gaining/losing the same 2-3lbs.

I decided that I needed to return some discipline to my eating habits.  The W30 helped me quit my gum chewing habit and be a little more mindful of how I'm feeling.  For example, when I take only a salad with some protein to work I tend to have cravings in the afternoon.  Before I started the W30 I ate similar meals but often had an afternoon snack of nuts which I seldom needed during these past weeks.  I wanted to break that habit because I had a recent blood panel that showed my phosphorous and calcium levels were high and based on some research I did, I believe it's related to the high consumption of nuts.  I'll be having another panel in June to see if it goes back into the normal range.

I love cheese and I was surprised that I didn't miss it at all during the W30.  I was sure I would. As I mentioned before, the lack of dairy seems to be making my allergies less severe so that's a nice benefit. I missed white potates a lot more!  I'm planning to stop logging for now.  We're leaving for a vacation on the east coast next week where I'll try to follow the template guidelines as much as possible though eating a lot more seafood than normal.  We'll be alone for part of our vacation and staying with friends part of the time but all of the places we're staying are very walkable so we plan to walk a lot so we stay even weightwise even if we have a few food splurges.  My goal is to not gain at all.

When we return I plan to do another W30 so I can have sufficient time to do the reintroduction part properly.  I don't have enough time for it now.  I also plan to focus on the other Whole 9 aspects, particularly with regards to sleep and exercise as I  suffer from periodic insomnia.  The bf and I agreed we needed to get back to the gym when we return from vacation.

Last, I want to thank everyone for their support.  I still plan to lurk/post here before starting my next W30.

Archived