consecutive days. ...

started the whole 30 nearly four weeks ago, and only have gotten at the most 3 days under my belt.I'm proud of myself for cleaning up my diet and willing to get back on track over and over again.I started this after being on a slippery slope I'm eating sugar and bean stuck in a binge eating restricting carbohydrate induced frenzyalong with lots of running.like any diet the beginning is always very exciting and I felt prepared. However the following prerequisites have posed challenges along the way, I have a history of disordered eating and endurance exercise along withthe tendency to skimp on protein. I also have struggles with night eating mostly 1 hour after I fall asleep for the past 4 years. I've also had digestion woes with all the iirregular eating and have noticed an improvement since cleaning up most of my diet.even though I haven't consecutively eliminated anything for 30 days I have noticed the following: small run ins with dairyv aren't a huge issue, a couple mornings after having cereal the night before I have lots of bloating and gas. not sure if that's gluten intolerance or what, this also occurs with too much peanut butter or peanuts. anyways I've struggled to the get multiple days under my belt. I should probably have some bigger breakfast maybe two or three eggs instead of just oneand adjust to only having three meals a day instead of constantly snacking. This is challenging because there are many old habits to break, has anyone else struggled with getting 30 days down and have eventually had success with doing 30 consecutive days? Have you found that reading the book helps? I know the meal template and all of the rules, its just a big adjustment to eating bigger meals along with the emotional attachment to food. Thanks for any input :-)

If you're having trouble with meal size, you can eat smaller meals more often, but sticking to the template is essential for breaking those spike-crash-spike-crash cycles. One egg doesn't fit the template, so you'll be hungry and you won't make it through the day.

The book helps you understand the whys behind the rules.

If exercise is adding too much stress along with the diet changes, drop the exercise for the 30 days, you can add it back in afterwards.

Whole30 really is about breaking old habits, record what triggers a fall off the program, would you eat that same thing now, or choose something else?

Sticking with the meal planning template is very helpful. If I eat two eggs in the morning with 1/2 a cup of sweet potato I am starving 4 hours later, if I eat a palm size potion of ground meat and 2 - 3 cups of veggies I am not. It is possible that you need to work on your eating disorder before you begin a whole30. It is great that you are eating healthier and that is a step in the right direction. I don't think you can reap the benefits of the whole30 if you are only eating one egg for breakfast. You also need to trust the rules and just try it. That means eating way more food then you are used to and trying not to snack. It may take a week to adjust or you may need to eat 4 meals a day for your first whole30. Also because of your history with food, it may take longer for your body to balance out. I wish you all the best!

Hey Rocks223,

I'm on my first whole30 on day 22. I may not  be the best one to offer advice, so you can take the good from it and leave the rest. In my house we have three people doing whole30 at the same time, each of us is a bit different and struggle with different aspects of diet. I have two who are very addicted to sugar and I am more of a salt person (Chips and such). A couple of things that we have found very helpful...

• We took a couple of days to ramp up before diving into the whole30. This allowed us to prepare mentally and also gave us time to shop and prepare.
  • We removed the foods from the house that were not allowed.
  • We talked about the triggers that would normally cause us to eat and discussed ways to combat them.
  • Habits are tough to break, so have a list of distractions that you can use when a bad habit tries to kick in.
  • We made really good fairly large meals the first week so that there was no feeling of deprivation and we ate until satisfied. This really helped to keep us on track. There was no feeling of having to give up something good for something bad... we gave up nothing, just chose to eat really good whole foods.
  • Make it fun! We enjoy going to some of the ethnic markets in the area, picking up some kind of exotic vegetable and trying it with our next meal. 

Keep moving forward...

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely agree and need to increase my breakfasts. I become hungry exactly 3 hrs after every meal and find myself wanting a snack. Hb eggs do well and sometimes I'll have tb of coconut oil but I'll come up with some more ideas. The ed issues have been addressed and it's no longer a prime issue but I simply find that any sort of diet or too much eating structure/restriction sends me into this obsessive mindset....its exhausting and consuming yet I want to reap the benefits of addressing my food sensitivities and digestion stuff in a rresponsible manner rather than just eating "light". So i like the structure of whole30 but hate it at the same time because of the mental stress if that makes sense. It sounds like having that external support and living with others that are also doing it is a great solution for you!

Archived