Do I have to start over?

I just went to Panera. I consulted the Panera thread real quick, and found out that the steak wraps were W30 compliant as is. Ordered, ate, happy.

But I was reading through more info and it says that the pesto in the turkey bowl is not compliant. My steak bowl had pesto. Now I think Panera may have just made mine wrong....but do I have to start over because of that? :(

• Moderators

The Whole30 does not work if you eat off-plan foods. The off-plan foods hit the reset button on 30 days. A few things don't cause much harm in trace amounts and we can tell you not to worry about it and just go on, but some things are a big deal. Maybe you ate something that is a big deal. Maybe you didn't. 

You can't run with a recommendation from the internet, even something found posted in this forum, without checking it out yourself. Well meaning people say things are okay that are not okay. Sometimes vendors change how they make things and what used to be compliant is no longer compliant. The only reliable way to manage these things is to ask your server specifically when ordering and then look at the food to make sure they didn't add something they were not supposed to. It is hard to eat compliant in a restaurant. I have had servers swear something did not include X, Y, or Z and then when they brought it to the table it clearly included X. 

Unfortunately, the steak lettuce wraps are not compliant as is. You would need to order it without the pesto, as the pesto contains romano cheese. And yes, ingesting dairy does call for a restart on a Whole30: sorry.

EDIT: and the power breakfast egg bowl with steak is not compliant, as it contains wheat starch. Eating that would constitute a restart too.

Archived