acceptable sugar

katholene

Hi everyone! I have done several Whole 30s. My first one was April 2011. That was a serious turning point in my life. I did not continue to live like I was always on a Whole 30 but I did make actual lifestyle changes, and it completely changed the way I selected foods. Since then I have done a few more resets. I decided to begin one today because my body feels like it needs one. Anyway, here's my thing. I know that sugar is off limits. I'm cool with that. But when you have a can of Wegman's Organic Roasted Garlic Sauce and the ingredients are all acceptable ingredients and it still says 5g of Sugar per serving is that allowed? Technically there is sugar in the raw carrots I just ate. All vegetables have sugar. So anyway, I guess what I am saying is how can you be sure to decipher between added sugar and sugar that is naturally occurring from acceptable ingredients? Here is the ingredient list: water, organic tomato paste, citric acid, organic diced tomatoes, organic onion puree, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic roasted garlic, sea salt, organic dried garlic, organic basil. Same thing with a box of vegetable broth...

• Moderators

The ingredient list on a package lists basic ingredients, not a combination of foods, so tomato paste is 100 percent tomato paste. It does not have other ingredients. You don't have to worry about what might be in something listed among the ingredients.

You can ignore the information on a package that tells you about percent of sugar, protein, fat, carbohydrates, etc. because that information is not relevant. The only information to monitor is the ingredient list. If the ingredient list does not include any form of sugar, the grams of sugar in the product is irrelevant. 

I guess the only questionable thing is that the sauce lists an ingredient as "organic tomato paste." I guess the real question is what is in the organic tomato paste.

Ingredients list have to list the sub-ingrdients of all ingredients used. Sometimes there will be parenthesis after an ingredient to list its sub-ingredients, or all ingrdients are listed in descending order of predominence

Archived