AmyShubi Log- May 8 Start Date

AmyShubi

Whole 30 Time- I'm editing this because as of May 15th I found out I am pregnant.  This will be my second child.  I am very excited, and now more than ever I want to continue eating good, healthy, whole foods.  

My food logs are going to be VERY boring, but I'm still going to post them for accountability.  I eat the same lunch everyday- vegetable soup with added meat and sometimes olive oil added if I feel very hungry and I don't think just soup will be enough.  We have a box of organic produced delivered each week and my husband makes soups with the different varieties of veggies that we get.  I usually add 3-4 oz of cooked ground beef or chicken breast to my bowl.

Breakfast has been eggs and sweet potatoes the last couple of weeks.  My husband, daughter, and myself LOVE it, so why do anything different for now?  I know variety is key, but I get a lot of variety with my veggies from our veggie box...

Suppers are what EXCITE me.  The adventure of determining what to make!  Oh, how I love to plan out our suppers!  I love Elena's Pantry recently....  But I always love Paleo Parents and The Paleo Mom.  I found I was eating too much protein when I was making Melissa J's recipes from The Clothes Make the Girl... I think because I don't have much portion control...  So it was pretty burdensome on my budget.  But she's the one that opened me up to the endless possibilities of spices and vegetables....and opened me up to the Whole 30!  If I could stop eating Chocolate chili at one bowl, then she'd still be at the top of my list... but now that I'm pregnant especially, I want to limit my protein to the recommended amount for pregnant women.  I think that's around 20% of my total calories.  I'm not tracking calories, but I'm going to follow the Whole 30 rules of ~4 oz meat/palm sized or a handful of eggs per meal.

I do snack a lot on paleo foods, but I'm going to try to stock up on more vegetable-snacks instead of fruit or baked items such as my homemade larabars.

Welcome!

To help avoid snacking, I'd suggest upping your portions. Meal 1 for example: When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand.  That may be at least 3 for you.  Have the whole potato instead of half. Make sure you include a compliant fat.

On other proteins, don't weigh - use the size and thickness of your palm to guide you. Protein per meal is 1-2 palm sizes.

On veggies, have 1-3 cups per meal.

And yup, say bye to the pancakes for the rest of your Whole30.   ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So I am restarting this thing with May 19th as my start date. I also have found out I am pregnant since my last post, but will still be following Whole 30 rules with the advice on this forum for pregnant women.

Meal 1: 2 eggs and 1/2 large sweet potato

Meal 2: 1 cup Homemade Vegetable Soup and added 3 oz organic ground beef

Meal 3: Mexican Chicken and "Rice" from Elena's Pantry website.  Delish!  Included chicken, onion, cauliflower, celery, green chilies, salsa, spices, and olive oil

Snacking: 1/2 Banana, 1/2 bunch of Kale as "Kale Chips" with avocado oil/sea salt, Hand-full of Strawberries, Homemade banana-pumpkin "larabar" (that's what I call the pumpkin pucks that I make into bars from Paleo Parents) It contains pumpkin, banana, dates, coconut oil, coconut flour, and spices

Welcome to whole30 and congrats on your pregnancy! We advice pregnant and breastfeeding moms to eat 4 meals a day on the upper end of the food template. Your meals are way too small especially in the area of protein and fat. We generally recommend keeping fruits to part of or directly following a meal. If you need to eat between meals have protein and fat not fruit and nuts. Your homemade larabar sounds delicious but try and keep those types of things for emergencies only.

There is a lot on the whole9 blog about whole30 and pregnancy as Melissa had her 1st baby a little over a year ago. There are lots of resources here too. 

Day 5 of my pregnant whole 30... 

The last few days I've eaten:

Meal 1:  LOOTTSSS of eggs and sweet potatoes

Meal 2:  Homemade vegetable Soup, ground beef, grapefruit (an apple yesterday instead of a grapefruit), sometimes a larabar, pumpkin seeds (only other ingredient listed is sea salt)

Meal 3: Elena's Pantry Mexican Chicken and "Rice", except we ran out and last night we had more vegetable soup/beef

Snacks:  I had a small portion 3-4 oz of fruit smoothie last night made with strawberries, banana, and carrot juice.  I've also been snacking on pumpkin seeds, avocado, and the occasional larabar.

Looking good! Your meals look excellent!

I would caution you on both the larabars and the smoothies. While both are compliant they are not recommended. Try to make your snacks mini meals instead with protein and fat in them. Larabars and fruit smoothies are actually going to make you hungrier faster because the fruit gets digested really quickly.

From the "Can I Have..." blog:

Larabars: Read your labels, and use with caution

Most (but not all) varieties of Larabars are acceptable during your Whole30, so read your labels. (The Peanut Butter and Jelly bar is out for obvious reasons.)

Tip: We recommend using Larabars as emergency snacks, or fuel during endurance athletics. They're as close to candy as you can get on the Whole30 (with dates as a binder), so don't use them to satisfy sugar cravings. Your brain doesn't know the difference between a Snickers bar and a Larabar!

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Fo7wD1Hb.dpuf

Smoothies: We'd rather you didn't

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn't getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it's had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we'd rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Fo7wD1Hb.dpuf

Day 9 of Pregnant Whole 30

I appreciate the advice on larabars and smoothies.  I'm still working on the 4 meals a day thing...I think that will help me avoid those.  I'm a work in progress.

Writing this post will help me plan out the 4 meals for today... let's see.

Meal 1: Empty Fridge.  I only had a single size bag of almonds I got from a gas station.  No other ingredients besides almonds, but worst day ever to log.  Oh well.

Meal 2: Chicken in Homemade Vegetable Soup with added olive oil.  2 clementines.

Meal 3 "plan": Spaghetti (Zucchini, Ground Beef, and Tomato Sauce)

Meal 4 "plan": Eggs & Sweet Potatoes

Archived