scared

ALSAL79

I have been intrigued by the whole 30 for a while. Have been reading about it online and read some of the book. I really want to do it but im scared- not sure of what. I guess that I wont be able to do it. Also, im scared about date nights with DH, social events etc. I feel like there are always amillion excuses and reasons not to do something though....

Also, I work out a lot and do  not want to give that up. Will I still have energy to maintain my workout schedule? I need to work out for my sanity.

You are right there will always be a million excuses and reasons not to do something. The question you need to answer is why you want to do it and is it a good enough reason to overcome your fears. I personally eased into it over the course of a couple of years and when I finally did my Whole30 it was definitely the right time for me and it went well.

As far as your workout question goes a hit to performance is normal in the first two weeks especially if this is drastically different from the way you eat now. Whether you can maintain your workout schedule or not is something I can't answer really without knowing what that looks like. There is probably a follow up question of whether you should maintain it or not. Again I can't really say. 

So I would advice you to spend some time thinking about your reasons for wanting to do it and keep in mind it is just 30 days. That really isn't very long in the grand scheme of things. 

Trust me, you can hang up the dairy, SUGAR, grains, legumes, and what ever else where not suppose to have for 30 days. No gum chewing for 30 days..  etc… You'll be amazed at how empowering it is.. The things you think you'll miss so much.. its only 30 days and you can have them again, that is if you still want them after doing with out and realizing you survived and survived quite well at that.

Finish reading the book, then Go For it.. You won't regret it. 

Thank you. I want to do it because after having tried every diet out there I still feel like I can't lose weight. I realize it's my eating habits and relationship with food that need to change and I think whole 30 will help me "reset".

I definitely had the same feeling the first time I looked into doing the Whole30... My exact thoughts were something along the lines of "No way can I give up wheat and sugar all together".  At that point (sometime in fall/winter of 2013) I was not ready, my mind was not there enough to be successful.  I kept seeing people on Instagram posting about it, but always thought to myself how much better these people must be than me for doing it.  Then in January 2014 I had a sudden urge to jump right into it, that was the right time for me.  I struggled the first couple days, but the rest was smooth sailing after that!  Now I'm on my second Whole30 and am finding it addicting :)

Long story short, make sure it's the right time for you, but don't be scared!  Maybe ease into it to start, but remember, it gets easier after the first few days.

You know, I had the exact feelings.  THinking about how my family eats, what I like to do, the occasional glass of wine, etc.  I was really scared and my confidence to be successful was truly in the gutter.  I actually started this on Sunday, after feeling sick with heartburn after drinking a latte.  I'd had it, so I thought, what the heck - I"m just going to start because as the book says, "what are you waiting for"?  I figured I'd struggle the first week and probably end up cheating (like I said, not much faith in myself, my willpower or all the testimonials I'd read). 

Well, here I am telling you that 5 days after I started (heck, even 1 day after I started) I have no doubts about it, or myself more importantly.  I have not had a bit of heartburn in 5 days, which for me seems somewhat miraculous as I've struggled with that symptom daily for the last 6 years.  Gone.  And you know what else is gone?  The fear of cheating, or just thinking I won't be able to, and the cravings!  No cravings for anything... PERIOD!!!  That too seems absolutely amazing to me.  I work in a school in a fairly stressful position, and being a stress eater, the hours after school are usually filled with cravings and bad choices.  Now?  Nothing.  I leave school, go home and do whatever - besides eat.  I don't miss the snacks, and I don't think of them.  This weekend I have a big b'day party I've been invited to, and whereas last week I was stressing about it, today I'm not.  I don't feel like it will be any issue to not have cake or a glass of wine.  It's really amazing. 

So there's my testimonial - from someone who really, really thought that successfully getting through day one would be impossible, here I am at almost the end of week one, and feeling better than I have in years - and knowing that there's nowhere to go but up!

Hang in there and have confidence - if I can do it, you can too!

Best of luck!

Archived