Day 14....the questions never stop

KatieMcGraw

So it is now day 14 for me! Woohoooo!! I've lost about 7 lbs so far and a few inches.  Believe me, I am one HAPPY girl over here. Buuuuuut....the questions...oh good lord the questions from people NEVER stop!!!! "What do you even eat?", "Ohmygod you look great what's your secret?" "Ohmygod I couldn't ever do that program!!", "Paleo....what does that even mean?", "Can you eat rice? Yogurt? Cheese? Pasta?"

And after I give my answers of "I eat grass fed meat, eggs, vegetables, healthy fats, and a little bit of fruit", "My secret is Whole30 you don't eat sugar, grains, dairy, processed foods, and no alcohol.", "Paleo means you eat a less processed diet so you know none of the foods I mentioned before that I no longer eat.", "Rice is a grain so no, yogurt is dairy...so no, um cheese is ALSO DAIRY so no, you're kidding..seriously? no pasta is a grain!!!"

I wouldn't expect people to not really understand that there are other food groups than grains, beans, dairy and sweets.  It just goes to show how much this stuff is ingrained into our thinking and what is considered to be an "acceptable diet". People Loooooove to tell me how I've deprived myself, and I should "treat" myself so I won't "cheat" on my new diet.  When I tell them that there are no "cheat" days so my digestive system can heal, I get a blank stare and a "well this won't last too long so you can go back to eating xyz"  or "let me know when you want to grab some REAL food like pizza!".....wtf.

My mind is boggled that I was part of this same group less than two weeks ago. I was the one saying this kind of crap to other people, I used to "treat" myself, and then feel horrible that I "cheated". There was an emotional connection with food that I had, eating when I was sad, happy, tired, angry, etc.  I would try to eat "wholesome" and end up buying things like Kashi Cookies, Green Giant Steamables (sneaky little b*****ds put sugar in those things!!!), and using things like fake sugar to justify making sweets at home. I wasn't eating wholesome, I was still feeding the sugar/carb dragon while lying to myself that it was "healthy". 

Luckily, I've moved on. I found Whole30 and even at day 14 even my husband has noticed I am not fatigued anymore, my skin has cleared up, some of my cellulite is going away, and surprisingly my grades in my classes are up since I am no longer "too tired" to do my school work.  I can't wait to reach the end of this program (the FIRST program I will have EVER completed since boot camp for the Navy) to not only prove to myself that this is not impossible, and to others that sometimes you have to do something really hard in order to achieve the benefits of a lifetime. 

• Moderators

I read that 60 percent of all calories consumed on the planet come from wheat, corn, rice, and soy. If you think about it for a minute, that is scary that with the literally thousands of plants and animals that grow on this planet, 4 of them provide 60 percent of what people eat. Talk about putting all the eggs in one basket.

Isn't it funny that people who are seeing first hand the results your are feeling/seeing are the one's who question your method to achieve those results. Guess it's that foggy brain thinking ;) 

Good for you! Keep it up!

Archived