Help! I suddenly can't make paleo mayo and I don't know why

CaseyD

Ok. I make paleo mayo per directions in Well Fed. I've made it many times, each time it comes out perfectly.

All of a sudden, the last three times I've made it, it stays an oil and does not fluff up. I'm doing it exactly the same as I've always done, and now it just won't work. Has anyone had this happen? Did you figure out why it was happening? I'm using the same ingredients and everything. My house is air conditioned pretty evenly so I don't think it's suddenly too hot in my kitchen.

What has changed? Do you bring your egg to room temperature? Same oil? Same blender? Same amount of patience ;) ?

I haven't had that happen, but when we first started making mayo we had to adjust the amount of oil (we had to use less or we always had a fail). I don't know if that's because we are at altitude or to find an appropriate amount of oil for our blender.

Good luck--let us know what you figure out.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently made some mayo using my kitchenaid standing mixer...saw the recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and thought it might be easier than using the blender. It was! I just used the whisk attachment and slowly poured the oil (although I wanted to just dump it all right away) and it came out perfectly. Never had much luck using my blender.

Archived