How to reduce tiredness prior to period?

JMACCAR

Hi Ladies,

For years I have suffered with severe tiredness in the week leading up to my period. On the day of my period it is at its peak, to the point that I could very easily (and have been known to) sleep the whole day.

I am coming up to the end of my first Whole30 and this is one symptom that I have not been able to shift - I expect that it may take sometime.

Post my Whole30 I am planning to try the AIP to see if that will help (I am hoping it will as I am gluten intolerant).

Could any of you suggest any foods to increase / decrease / add which can assist in alleviating these symptoms? Any other suggestions? I am really open to looking at all options...

Thank you in advance!

Hi there! I have the same situation although I don't think I'm as tired as you are. I read on one of these posts that we need extra carbs during the time right before our periods. I plan to try and have a sweet potato and make sure I get some berries every day in the few days before my cycle starts. I've been doing this at lunch when I'm feeling fatigued and it seems to help. Good luck and I hope you find an answer that works for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my period begins any day and I am feeling extra hungry this week. So, I have been eating more at each of my 3 meals. I always have cravings for sweets this time of the month, but with eating a little more protein, carbs and good fats, which are Whole30 compliant, my sweet cravings have been bearable. Plus, I am only on day 10 of my first Whole30 and I don't want to start over. There is satisfaction in sticking to this and not giving in to those cravings. We can do it!

Also, iron was mentioned earlier. Red meat is packed with it. So a nice cut of steak would be perfect meal when we are pre-menstrual. I could get use to that and I'm sure my husband could too.

Archived