Ani's daily log. The real deal

wyoinap

After a week of practice days I'm ready to start. History of various food issues- let's leave it at that. Goal not to fear food, eat to be full but not stuffed (even if it makes me uncomfortable to eat to fullness) and enjoy the rewards of healing my mind body.

Main goal: do not turn to food for release and then it turns to guilt. Find new strategies with stressors.

Will measure initially to learn amounts that work for hunger ands tarting with no fuss meals

Day 1:

B: 3 eggs, veggies, and coconut oil in coffee

L: 6 ounces salmon, 3 cups cooked veggies using coconut oil, 1/2 avocado, coconut flakes

Wanted to go binge on more coconut after this but sat on thoughts and kept busy. Thankfully I pushed thru the urge.

D: 6 ounces salmon, 3 cups cooked veggies using coconut oil, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. May have coconut flakes if still hungry later.

1 hour workout

Midday decaf with compliant coconut milk ( 1/3 cup )

Hi tom,

I know that's why I upped my protein to 6 ounces at lunch and dinner.

I workout at 5am so no food prior-- too early. I eat breakfast within hour of completing workout.

Also my meals are larger than what other people write but I think I cover the pre and post workout nutrients in breakfast and lunch.

Honestly I'm shocked at what seems how little people eat when I read their posts! They don't put portions like I did and the ones that do...it seems like so little!

Is it okay to have coconut milk during tea throughout day?

Day 2 so far:

B: 3 eggs, cup of veggies -assorted, Coconut oil with coffee

Satisfied after this meal. maybe wanted more/maybe not. Trying to test if it's just emotional element or not of wanting to eat.

L: Salmon 6 ounces, crap ton of veggies 3 cups+ of broccoli and Carrots (I heart veggies), 1/2 avocado, coconut flakes

Satisfied but had room for a bit more..does that make sense. I hate the feeling of being stuffed but at the same time I need to feel full. going to sit on it and wait half hour or so and decide.

Midday: Coffee with coconut milk

D: 6 oz ground chicken stir fry with broccoli, sweet pot. And mushrooms (3 cups total of veggies) cooked in coconut oil. Feel full with some room. And that was goal. I have to get body used to eating enough food and realize it is necessary to eat this much and not under eat. Restricting calories set me up for crazy binges later.

Snack: unsweetened applesauce with coconut flakes handful

Day 3:

One hour workout. cardio/strength (light weights)

B: 3 eggs, roasted veggies and coconut oil in coffee

L: Salmon 6 ounces (repeat, yes but made a lot), 3 cups veggies (carrots, zukes, broccoli), 1/2 avocado, coconut flakes (love these!)
Feel full and comfortable.

Iced green tea afternoon

D: 6 ounces steak - oh my yum, veggies lots, sweet potato cooked in coconut oil. Coconut flakes and applesauce

post dinner fell asleep. woke up and went right to food. tried to eat mini meal but then binged on meat veggies. and the purged. I must be honest in this log. it was a failure but I'm grateful I did a small purge and stopped and did not complete the entire episode. I did not go for everything and anything like cookies, etc.  that is big for me. please don't judge. I've been battling relapse here and there.  I'm only writing this as a log for myself.

Clearly I ate good food earlier but not enough. and waking up from nap dropped my "sugar" so I should have waited it out before jumping up and heading to kitchen.

Day 4:

Self: don't undereat. If you are even thinking of cutting down on fat because it's more than 2, etc....then you are restricting. It doesn't matter. Don't OVERTHINK. Your portions may be larger than others. Don't compare. You exercise, you move your body---eat to nourish. There is not point being fit and strong if you go back to silly small behaviors. BEING FULL, REALLY FULL will feel uncomfortable for awhile. You know this. Don't let weak low moments erase ALL THE HARD WORK.

Rant, bashing over. MOVING FORWARD.

• Moderators

Hi tom,

I know that's why I upped my protein to 6 ounces at lunch and dinner.

I workout at 5am so no food prior-- too early. I eat breakfast within hour of completing workout.

Also my meals are larger than what other people write but I think I cover the pre and post workout nutrients in breakfast and lunch.

Honestly I'm shocked at what seems how little people eat when I read their posts! They don't put portions like I did and the ones that do...it seems like so little!

Is it okay to have coconut milk during tea throughout day?

The purpose of a post-workout meal is not only to give you extra food to cover the extra work, but to feed hungry muscles during the brief window when they are especially open to feeding after hard exercise. That window is open 20-30 minutes and then goes back to normal. If you eat 60-minutes after working out, the window is closed and you don't get the extra benefit of eating lean protein when it is highly desired. I thought post-workout meals were silly when I first heard of them, but when I started eating them, I found that I recovered from training more quickly and had less soreness. 

Many people do not eat enough. That keeps their metabolism slow and makes weight loss harder, not easier. One of these days I will start a Whole30 and post everything I eat on a blog where people can see the volume I eat. I am a big eater. :)

You can have coconut milk in your tea throughout the day.

I also wondered about portion sizes when I first started reading the logs.  I come from a long history of diets where I counted every calorie, ounce and gram.  When I first began whole30, I continued to measure - then realized the freedom that comes with not having to weigh and measure everything.  

For example, this morning, I had scrambled eggs with mushrooms and spinach, and some blueberries.  That is how I would write it in my log.  What I really had was:  5 eggs, scrambled - cooked with 1 container (8oz) mushrooms and 3 cups raw spinach.  Cooked all in 2 large spoonfuls of ghee.  On the side was 1/2 cup of blueberries.  That's a lot of food!

May I encourage you to do less weighing and measuring and use the meal template?  http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

You both are so write and I THANK YOU for writing your amounts. No it doesn't matter and I need to eat what works for me. I enjoy being fit and strong. And yes, look good too. BUT I am fully aware to do this I have to feed my body not RESTRICT. That's why i'm doing the whole 30. If I gain, it will be nominal I know this and obviously a sign my body needs it. If I don't and I eat to fuel it properly, I will be where I'm supposed to be. I'm almost.there. I know I am to unlock all this madness I've trapped my brain in. Last night was a great learning lesson for me. While it is NOT okay what I did I am still thankful I did not.go.there. with full on sugar binge. It sounds so disgusting to read that last statement but it's true. baby steps lead to leaps.

The template and philosophy of Whole30 is golden.  And it helps to read this. I have to overcome my own hurdles but I appreciate the feedback and support.

Day 4 eats

B: 3 eggs, veggies, coconut oil with coffee

L: 6 ounces steak, 1/2 avocado, coconut flakes, 3 cups veggies

D: turkey burger 6 ounces, 1/2 avocado, 3 cups veggies incl sweet potato cooked in coconut oil

Full after each meal but satisfied. Full as in full FULL which I have to keep continuing to push thru that discomfort initially.

1 hr workout

Day 5 and 6. Navigated thru two big outings!

Day 5

Same breakfast

Lunch: same lunch with 6 ounces salmon

Dinner: 6 ounces compliant roast beef and 3 cups broccoli and huge handful mushrooms

Movies: coconut flakes and freeze dried apples ( would have eaten with dinner anyway)

Day 6

Breakfast same as always

Lunch game day, had medium Cobb salad. Thank gawd for various protein choices and avocado!

Dinner: ton of pulled pork fro crockpot, broccoli sweet potato mushrooms 3 cups at least, coconut flakes

Day 7

B: eggs, veggies coconut oil (Same ole same but I love it!)

L: Salmon 4 ounces, 1/4 avocado, few veggies

D: BBQ party. Made it. Had tons (lots lots) of various chicken dishes and limited veggies. thank goodness for protein

Before bed: was feel wonky from all protein and limited carbs and had big handful of coconut with tea. Felt so much better.

Easy and delish crockpot Thai dish ever

Green curry paste

Coconut milk

Protein any meat. I used chicken

Throw in crockpot in morning...at night delicious creamy dish to pile on top of broccoli, etc. yummmmmmmy

Day 9: I ate buckets of broccoli today. Love it cooked in coconut oil

B: same

Lunch: same as previous day

D: Thai chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, sweet potato. May have coconut flakes

Anyone else eat tons of veggies? I love them cooked in olive oil. Seriously I eat 3 cups at least for lunch AND dinner especially broccoli. Would love to hear others veggie amounts.

Day 10

B: same

Lunch: salmon 6 ounces, 1/2 avo, coconut flakes 3 cups broccoli carrot mix

Dinner: 6-7 ounces grass fed ground beef, a bag (yes) of broccoli florets, small sweet potato and 1/2 avocado coconut flakes

just had an entire head of broccoli for dinner - all by myself.  Used to be, the kids and I would split one!  

When I go shopping for veggies, I stock the fridge - buying  more than I ever have before - believing that it will last me a week - and then I am shocked that it does not!  Although I am loving all the fresh veggies (esp from the farmers market) my budget is having me start to supplement the fresh with frozen or canned.  I am being selective about it though!

Have to admit that even the canned stuff doesn't go that far anymore, either.  The other day, I had a whole can of green beans with my lunch - all by myself.....

Day 11

Breakfast 3 eggs veggies coconut oil with coffee

Lunch 6 ounces ground beef, tons and tons of broccoli and baby carrots, 1/2 avocado and coconut flakes

Dinner: 6 ounces Thai chicken curry, tons of broccoli, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado and coconut flakes

But still hungry. What to eat

* bad night but corrected

Day 11

B: crap. P. but then 3 eggs, veggies coffee with coc oil

Lunch: crap. P. but then ahi tuna.3 cups veggies in co coil, 1/2 avocado. Coconut flakes

Dinner: same as lunch but added sweet potato as well

Ending night with tea and coconut oil

Workout: 45 min outdoor stroll

Archived