Long-term effects post Whole 30

I did a great first Whole 30 in April.  Lost some weight, felt great physically, felt inspired in the kitchen, and decided this way of life is the one for me.  Did the reintroductions in May.  Dairy bothers me, so it's out.  No trouble with grains or legumes but I'm not really craving them so I'm eating very little of them.  My sugar dragon is in hiding for the time being.  Long lead up to my question.  

I'm likely to be eating Whole 30 90% of the time from here on out.  My question is about the 10% of the time I'm eating non-compliant food, having a glass of wine, a bit of chocolate, etc.  Do you face the side effects (carb flu, fatigue, etc.) experienced in the first few days of Whole 30 over and over again each time you eat something non-compliant and then go back to being compliant for several days?

Do you face the side effects (carb flu, fatigue, etc.) experienced in the first few days of Whole 30 over and over again each time you eat something non-compliant and then go back to being compliant for several days?

This has not been my experience.  Sometimes I feel sick from the non-compliant item!  But it always feels wonderful to go back to the template.

I'm 90% compliant with Whole30 guidelines since finishing my first in February. We have let the wine habit slip back in, but other than that pretty on track. My husband and I are on day 5 of our second W30 and the side effects have been minimal. Slight headache yesterday, but nothing like the sugar/carb withdrawal my husband had last time or the diet coke hangover I had on day 3 last time. Plus, my workouts haven't suffered at all - several PRs with my trainer yesterday. I think if you've been generally Paleo round two will be easier than round one.

I finished my first W30 about two weeks ago and have decided to go paleo as well.  I did attempt reintroduction by putting ranch on a salad which was quite possibly the worst idea I have ever had.  Last weekend I went to a baseball game and got nachos and was sick for the remainder of the night and the next couple of days.  The sucky part is that these are "treats" I was allowing myself and I quickly learned that my body is no longer willing to put up with that crap.  I guess it's going to be kind of a catch 22.  I say, if it's something I truthfully want to try or a special event I want to celebrate with food and good friends I will indulge.  I've found that doing this helps get that 'what if' thought about bad food out of my head; and it also makes me crave nutritious food even more.

I reintro'd wine and allow myself a little sugar. Absolutely NO dairy (for me!) I haven't had gluten yet, either.

I think you may find, as I did, that there are some 'treats' you can handle without pain, and some you can't. I never have a problem with the things I 'cheat' with; I guess if i did I wouldn't have them again!

I totally get the carb flu thing.  I try to eat paleo the majority of the time but do occasionally eat mainstream if I am out to dinner or at a special event.  I am reminded quickly why I choose to eat paleo because feeling that sick isn't worth it.  Isn't it amazing what our bodies stop putting up with after eating so clean?  Really supports the argument that eating whole foods is 100% best for us rather than those other fad diet types out there.

Archived