Summertime reset

Contessa

Day 20:

Breakfast: 2 eggs + 2 Applegate sausages

Lunch: chicken rilette + 2 pcs bread

Snack: 1 spoonful of a Jeni's Ice Cream! We were hanging out in a part of town with some fancy restaurants and kitchen stores when my sister-in-law spotted a Jeni's Ice Cream and started sprinting toward it. We went in and I sampled a spoon of one flavor. Interesting to taste just one spoonful and then just think, "I'm good."

Dinner: broiled grouper with lemon and chives, watercress salad, sugar snap peas, 1 glorious slice of freshly baked ciabatta, coconut cake with vanilla ice cream

Lunch and dinner were part of a family adventure with my two brothers and my sister-in-law. I did not put effort into eating on-plan. But I feel like I still did OK. The coconut cake was supposed to be a big treat for my dad after a difficult family conversation. It was the first sweet thing I've had in the past 20 days and I didn't want to finish! I don't know. It wasn't that great. Everything tastes so incredibly sweet when you're coming off food full of sweeteners and artificial garbage.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 21:

Breakfast: 2 eggs + 2 Applegate sausages

Lunch: roast chicken. I forgot to bring my veggies with me to work.

Dinner: small plates from a great restaurant on my final family date. 1 fabulous cocktail, oysters, roasted peppers, beef terrine, egg and avocado with toasted bread. With the exception of the alcohol and the bread, this was a pretty decent meal.

Came home and had some roast chicken because I didn't quite eat enough!

Day 22:

Breakfast: egg + banana pancake

I made coffee and added some cream and sugar to it. 

Lunch: turkey burger with mustard, roasted veggies, mashed cauliflower

Dinner: roast chicken, steamed broccoli, crispy potatoes

I had some ice cream today. I thought it was going to be amazing and it kinda wasn't.

Day 23:

I've never reached this point with a structured way of eating and been so ready to keep going. This is fascinating to me. The first couple of times I did a legit Whole 30, I had all manner of obsessive thoughts (particularly during days 20-24) about the massive bucket of peanut M&Ms I was going to swan-dive into when the month was up.

I'm at the point I wanted to reach with my little summertime reset. But now I want to keep right on going and keep right on tracking my food here. It's working for me, and I'm very grateful.

I have a vacation scheduled for the beginning of August. Between now and then, there's a 4th of July picnic, hopefully a few dates with new fellas, and a few minor travel adventures planned between now and then. And I really wouldn't mind treating myself to a scoop of Jeni's Ice Cream and/or a frozen yogurt splurge once before the beginning of August. Those are summertime treats I really do enjoy. 

So for the record (I'm deciding this as I type it): the plan is to continue with the general approach of eating on-plan, as I have been experiencing for the past 22 days, until my vacation starts in August. Yay! 

Breakfast: egg + banana pancake

Lunch: turkey burger with spicy mustard, mashed cauliflower, roasted veg

Snack: roast chicken + a few nuts

Dinner: roast chicken, mashed cauliflower

I also ate a chocolate peanut-butter cookie and about 10 chocolate-covered graham crackers. I don't know why. They were there. They tasted OK. However, I need to develop Melissa H.'s practice of taking a bite and putting it down if it doesn't taste amazing.

Day 24:

Breakfast: Egg + banana pancake

Lunch: Chicken strips + waffle fries (part of a work lunch meeting)

Dinner was a date with a new gent. I had 1 cocktail (super tasty). Grilled grouper and asparagus and farro succotash, cherry tomatoes for dinner.

Date was going well so we went to an Irish pub for a beer. What is there to drink in an Irish pub besides a big gluteny beer?

The good news is that over the course of the conversation, the gentleman and I got into a conversation about the types of things we like to eat. He described an approach to food that sounds exactly like the Whole 30! He'd never heard of the Whole 30, but he talked about how he tries to eat quality proteins, quality carbs, and plenty of fat with each meal, how he eschews gluten and sugar, etc.  — I have to admit, that was pretty thrilling. We are dietarily compatible. It's clearly meant to be. (Ha ha.)

Day 25:
Breakfast was from the Whole Foods buffet.... roast sweet potatoes, raw kale salad with garlic dressing, and meatloaf that I think was mostly compliant.

Lunch: almonds, strawberries, blueberries

Dinner: leftover grouper and succotash

Day 26:

Brunch: out at a restaurant... scrambled eggs, roast chicken, diced avocado, roast potatoes, hot sauce

Dinner: mashed cauliflower and roast chicken

Spent a lot of time in the sun, and not feeling super hungry as a result. 

Day 27:

Breakfast: egg & veggie casserole

Snack: a slice of chocolate banana bread

OK, this might be the first time that I've really noticed sugar's instant physiological effect. It helps to have had so little sugar for the past few weeks. I felt a subtle wave of jitters about five minutes after eating the banana bread. It's a super familiar feeling based on years of consuming sugar — but I never isolated it so completely as I did today. I did not like that feeling. I felt.... blurry.

Lunch: mashed cauliflower, roast chicken, crispy potatoes

Dinner: mashed cauliflower, crispy potatoes, meatballs, spicy tomato sauce

Day 28:

Snack: a few bites of chocolate banana bread  :blink: plus a few almonds and dried cranberries

Lunch: company meal with a catered lunch from Olive Garden. Oy. I had salad and lasagna, plus a couple of meatballs. No breadsticks or "dolcini" (cute little cakes with pastry creams).

Snack: a bit of roast chicken

Dinner: came home reaaaally worn out from the morning's boot camp workout, which involved extreme quantities of wall balls in 92% humidity.... ahh, the deep South. Ate some more egg & veggie casserole, a bit of kombucha, called it a day. Whew!

Day 29:

Snack: kombucha

Lunch: Green salad with shredded carrot, raisins, vinaigrette; turkey meatballs; green beans; sweet potato

Also had a couple of "carmelita" bars — chocolate, granola, nuts on a shortbread crust. They were pretty tasty.

Dinner: roast chicken and steamed broccoli

Day 30:

Unexpectedly low variety today!

Snack: a couple of almonds and cashews

Lunch: Sushi (work lunch with colleagues)

Dinner: Sushi (date night) + 1 cocktail + pork spring rolls

A nice night. I have been feeling so good without sugar that I just want to keep going with it! 

Day 31:

Lunch: green salad with roast chicken, goat cheese, shaved almonds, Tessamae's

Snack: iced chai at a coffee shop, while waiting for fireworks

Dinner: a super fun Fourth of July picnic with friends. I prepared a small indulgence for this... I bought a 2-oz bag of potato chips for the occasion  :)    My menu: homemade chicken salad w/ grapes and walnuts, dressed with homemade mayo; baby carrots; 1 piece of string cheese; about 1 ounce of potato chips (I couldn't finish the whole thing! ha!); almond power bars from Elena's Pantry (an indulgence that was quite a hit with my community).

Day 32:

Breakfast: chicken salad

Lunch: spinach quesadilla

Snack: kombucha + almond bars

Dinner: 2 meatballs with spicy tomato sauce

Post-dinner snack: 1 beer on a spontaneous date with a cute fella. Win.

Day 33: 

Lunch: I think I might have skipped this. 

Snack: almond bars; chai latte at the coffee shop while relaxing and reading

Dinner: mashed cauliflower; roast chicken; spicy tomato sauce; steamed broccoli

Day 34:

Snack: chicken salad w/ homemade mayo

Lunch: big green salad with roast chicken, raisins, goat cheese, walnuts, and some gross salad dressing (I forgot my Tessamae's and had to scrounge for whatever was in the work fridge....) 

Snack: almond bars

Dinner: 2 spinach quesadillas

Dessert: homemade chocolate ice cream.

I went to bed right after eating the ice cream and woke up this morning feeling a little groggy and out-of-it. I also had to be awakened by my alarm, which hasn't been happening lately since getting off sugar. Interesting. I love being able to feel the (completely unpleasant) differences that sugar makes.

Day 35:

Breakfast: egg & banana pancake

Snack: chicken salad

Lunch: Roast chicken + mashed cauliflower; almond bars

Dinner: chicken salad, roasted beets + goat cheese, macaroni and cheese, 1 cocktail & 1 beer

This was part of a wonderful date night :)  We talked about cooking/food for much of the evening, which was great fun.

Day 36:

Breakfast: egg & banana pancake

Snack: kombucha

Lunch: teriyaki meatballs, big green salad w/ vinaigrette, steamed broccoli, mashed sweet potatoes; oat + chocolate bars ("carmelita" bars) from Whole Foods

Dinner: sushi night out with a girlfriend

Day 37:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, spinach, shredded rotisserie chicken, goat cheese

Lunch: roast chicken + mashed cauliflower

Snack: chicken salad

Dinner: 3 fried chicken tacos + sangria -- a "Sangria Safari" evening event at the local zoo :)

Day 38:

Snack: I had a Larabar as I was going into a client meeting one state over.

Late lunch: Grilled chicken, turnip greens, steamed broccoli, fries (stopping at a restaurant on the way home from the client meeting)

Dinner: Chipotle bowl with brown rice, black beans, carnitas, cheese.

Day 39:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and roast chicken

Lunch/Dinner: I spent Saturday and Sunday on a mini-vacation with my friend, and went off-plan. I ate a tuna wrap with waffle fries for both lunch and dinner. Plus a Luna bar about halfway through the afternoon. No big deal.

Day 40:

Breakfast: Stopped at Panera on the way out of town with my friend... green smoothie plus half a "thai chicken" flatbread sandwich, small bag of chips. 

Lunch: Chipotle leftovers

Dinner: date night... cucumber/pepper appetizer, creamy pepper soup, braised pork and summer tomato entree. About a glass and a half of red wine. Super nice. 

Day 41:

Breakfast: 2 eggs + 2 Applegate Farms sausages

Lunch: roast chicken + mashed cauliflower; almond butter + carrots

Dinner: My usual from Chipotle. Also had a cookie and ice cream after dinner. This day was not great. Was battling some seriously obsessive thoughts, very tired from my date night, and having a hard time staying present and kind to myself.

Day 42:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with spinach + 2 Applegate Farms sausages 

Lunch: I totally can't remember but I know it was on plan.

Dinner: Chicken fingers + waffle fries. This week has sucked on the food front. 

Archived