Whole30 and Marathon Training

I am a runner (i use the term lightly, as I run but nowhere near an elite athlete). I am a middle-of-the pack runner and only slightly competitive in local 5ks within my age group. I am currently training for my summer 5ks, but officially start full blown marathon training in July. This will be my 3rd full marathon, and I am ready for a PR. I decided to do a first round with Whole30 now, to see how my body adapts to the changes before committing to this way of eating for my long-distance races. 

Does anyone have sample meal plans or suggestions for long distance runners? I currently run anywhere between 30 to 45 miles per week and during training it ramps up to almost 45 to 60 miles per week. I also cross train twice a week. 

I look forward to your suggestions and advice.

I've been away from the forums for awhile, I'm happy to come back and see questions about endurance training to answer :)

Your training load sounds like mine, and I've done many marathons on Whole30. I can't provide a meal plan other than the template provided in ISWF. You'll need to test that template for yourself to work out what foods, when, how much, etc. 

I can provide some fueling suggestions though. Soft boiled or poached eggs for PreWO, nice soft protein that digests fast. Personally I need carbs before a long run, it's not per-ISWF, but I need it. For me it's a sweet potato or applesauce. PostWO is sweet potato, then more protein and solid foods as my gut tolerates. 

In a nice easy long run (not high effort): dates, raisins, precooked sweet potato, banana, compliant plantain chips, raw cashews, lara bars. I've found I don't need to eat as much as I used to think, so I might nibble a serving of any of the above foods per hour while I'm running. Anything high intensity and my tummy can't tolerate those foods, but usually high intensity work is of short duration (<60 mins) and you won't need to eat while running those workouts. 

For fluids: water maybe with salt added, maybe a splash of fruit juice for flavor. 

And copying over from a reply I just posted in another thread: It took months of testing to work out my nutrition, and I recommend the same for anyone attempting major nutritional changes with similar endurance goals. Everyone will be different, what worked for me might not for you. Decide which goal is more important -- the race or the nutritional challenge. Test the Whole30 system as dictated in ISWF, then go from there based on YOUR individual results.And don't follow the system if it's not working for your primary goal. 

I'd be happy to provide more details and answers if you need them :)

Lucie

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a runner, more of a slogger. But every February I run either a 15k or a Half with a fundraising team. Before I started Whole 30, I am on Day 21, I had to eat every hour when I was on my longer runs. (I am slow. That translates to every 4 miles.) My low blood sugar issues have gotten much better with Whole 30, but I was wondering if I will have to eat as often when I run now? I am still very tired on my runs. Hoping (praying) that it starts to get better. I don't seem to be becoming fat adapted very quickly.

• Moderators

This.

... And copying over from a reply I just posted in another thread: It took months of testing to work out my nutrition, and I recommend the same for anyone attempting major nutritional changes with similar endurance goals. Everyone will be different, what worked for me might not for you. Decide which goal is more important -- the race or the nutritional challenge. Test the Whole30 system as dictated in ISWF, then go from there based on YOUR individual results.

Lucie

I find I don't need to take in any calories until 2 - 3 hours on a slow paced mountain long run. After that I'll eat sweet potato baby food, RXbars, an occasional VFuel and Nuun for magnesium & calcium (neither VFuel nor Nuun are whole30 approved), and Epic bars (I'll eat real food like butternut squash and chicken if I have access to it). If I am running harder/faster, I would fuel a little earlier/often in my run. However, I am completely fat adapted, having given up sugar and even fruit for the most part. I enjoy occasional berries but that's about it. If you are still feeding your sugar dragon when you get sweet cravings, you might not be fat adapted yet.

I have a lot on my blog about this topic, plus links to other athletes who are Whole30/Paleo and how they eat/fuel (see link below).

I might try to write a general meal plan, but like Lucie said, what works is different for everyone.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, so glad I found this spot. I have a marathon in 32 days and I just started Whole30 a week ago. I ran a half marathon over the weekend and I ran 15 minutes slower than I did a month ago. I'm pretty bummed about it and I really think it's because of the lack of energy I had during the race. I've been really good to with training! I was hoping there would be gatorade at a water stand, I was that tired! I had two eggs and half a grapefruit 3 hours before the race and a few sips of a black ice coffee. Overall, I think I need to be eating much more but I'm sorta thinking i may need to incorporate some grains here in there. Anyone else feel the same or found a way to combat the feeling of having no energy during long runs? I cruised through the first 9 and then hit a wall hard. 

Thanks in advance!! 

Hi guys, so glad I found this spot. I have a marathon in 32 days and I just started Whole30 a week ago. I ran a half marathon over the weekend and I ran 15 minutes slower than I did a month ago. I'm pretty bummed about it and I really think it's because of the lack of energy I had during the race. I've been really good to with training! I was hoping there would be gatorade at a water stand, I was that tired! I had two eggs and half a grapefruit 3 hours before the race and a few sips of a black ice coffee. Overall, I think I need to be eating much more but I'm sorta thinking i may need to incorporate some grains here in there. Anyone else feel the same or found a way to combat the feeling of having no energy during long runs? I cruised through the first 9 and then hit a wall hard. 

Thanks in advance!! 

Answered this question in the other thread you posted it in.

Archived