Family of 3 Starting July 7th

SonnyBelle

My husband has had a 'sensitive' gut since he was a teen and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 14 yrs ago. I am twice the size I should be. Our 23rd Wedding Anniversary is July 6th. Food is a lover and an enemy in our home for all the reason Whole30 exists. God is working on our hearts about discipline... in many personal areas it is missing. So we are stepping out on the first day of year 24 together, Lord willing, toward a healthy future. Our college age daughter wants to join us while she is home for the summer and get her mind & body ready for another year of study. I am nervous yet thrilled to taking this journey together!! 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sonny belle- I'd like to join your little group. I will be doing my second Whole 30. I did one earlier thus year, but still struggle with giving in to food cravings. I need a little more discipline.

Happy Anniversary! Mine is today (34 years) & we will be on " stay- cation" thus week.

Look forward to talking to you- Marjorie

Thank you! I have never joined a pubic forum before so talking with strangers this way seems so different, but I am willing to do anything Whole30 suggests for some victory and freedom with food. Well done on 34 yrs, it's never easy!!

If I can be of any help, let me know. You can clear the cupboards out this week. Easier to get rid of temptation before you start!. If you have time, do some meal planning so you have things ready & don't get caught without approved food. I have gathered some recipes that I like.

I enjoyed the forum last time. Got some good tips & some encouragement from the members.

Have a good week!

I am reading the book, about 1/2 through. And just finished going through the 8 steps on the website, part of which was getting on here :) I have been gathering some recipes and considering what we already eat and enjoy that will stay or what can be altered to fit into the guidelines. Seeking to do alot of what they say about planning and preparation. Just read the timeline, is a bit overwhelming. Just gonna plan and take it one day at a time, committed to finish. Enjoy your vacation!

I've done every diet, tracked food, etc and this is quite different. My wife and our college age son did it, well are doing it. 2 days left! You can do it just be prepared to cook A LOT, and the meat is not cheap but think of all the money you'll save not eating out.

We started off with good energy this morning - weigh in, measure, photos and breakfast :) Found out l liked black coffee on ice way more than hot. Had many items I don't usually eat for breakfast on my plate this morning, spinach, avocado, tomato. Kinda funny to be eating them so early, but will get used to it  :) 
Hope you all are getting off to a positive start this morning too!!

Same here- weighed & measured (yuck).

It is weird not having cereal or pancakes etc for breakfast. I am not an "egg" person so I do try to get creative with breakfast. Sometimes it's leftovers from the day before. I have made chia pudding (almond milk with chia seed & a few almonds or fruit). My biggest issue is getting enough protein. It's nice to be able to eat bacon without feeling guilty. Just hard to find "compliant" bacon ( Whole Foods does carry some).

Hope all are doing well - here's to good health!

we started out with a good day, all 3 of us :) I will need to find some alternatives to eggs before too long too. surprised by some yummy foods at dinner when we tried cauliflower rice and roasted beets. glad to hear that Whole Foods has bacon, we are headed there tomorrow to get quite a few items. God bless, hope you all had a good start and rest tonight. 

I started collecting paleo recipes on Pinterest when I did my last W30. If you want to check out some of my collection, it's under Marjorie Ford. I understand about too much eggs. The paleo sweet potato casserole & the sausage stuffed apples were really good. I also make some soups for breakfast.

Hope all are doing well & not feeling too many negative side effects. It gets better. Having a little sugar hangover headache today, but should be better tomorrow. God bless all- we are on the way to better health!!

Enjoyed shopping at Trader Joe's & Whole Foods but didn't find bacon or mayo that their website says they sell :( but we did find yellow zucchini & orange cauliflower!! So that will be FUN to play with! Thank you for the tip about Pinterest, I will take a look there and get some ideas. 
My daughter has been 'tired & in a fog' all day, my husband says he is already seeing his gut react positively and today felt fairly 'normal' for me. Kinda surprised too bc I had my fair share of sugar b4 we started. 
Hope your headache subsides with a good nights rest. With each sleep we are closer to our goals :) 

Just checking in on day two :) Today myself and 3 other adults took 13 of our junior high kids from church to universal studios. I now feel like if I can survive today, I can survive any day haha. I packed some chicken I made last night, some veggie sticks, and grapes. I also made myself a giant breakfast. There were a few moments like when all 15 people except for me were eating dippin dots, or when a stranger gave me a big bag full of unopened cheetos and dorritos (seriously, I felt like they knew I was on whole 30 and were trying to test me!!) But other than those couple of moments I felt great! I did have a headache today also and it's good to see from others that it was probably a sugar headache!

Glad to hear we're hanging in there. Headache gone today!! Got in some swimming yesterday amidst the chaos at my house( redoing our bathroom)

Here is a recipe for home made mayo- really easy & tastes great. I'm making this tomorrow for a cooking class I teach for ladies from my church.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant

You can also make it in a blender/food processor. I use this base to also make ranch dressing.

@marinscb- good for you surviving your outing. Things like that are always tough. Glad you made it!!

Here's to a great day 3- what's everyone eating today? We're having Chicken Pad Thai from cookbook Well Fed. Who says paleo has to be boring :)

Well, day one went well.  Day 2...well dinner not so much.  I tried to cook up some beef and made zucchini boats...maybe it's because I picked up a different zucchini variety or maybe it's because I miss cheese, but didn't care for it much.  I'm going to have to force myself to eat it as leftovers at some point :/  Don't want to be wasteful.

I have made home-made mayo before, usually use Nom Nom Paleo's recipe, made some yesterday and defrosted my tuna so that I can cook it up and make tuna salad.  Picked up some red leaf lettuce so I can make wraps with the leftover beef and use it for the tuna salad.

I think lethargy is kicking in earlier than expected.  I may have to lay off my workout for tonight because my body feels so weak.

So, I had bone broth that I had frozen a couple weeks back, decided to use that as a soup base.  Added in some garlic, squash, kale, carrots and then took the leftover meat from the little zucchini boats and shoved them in the mix.  Used about 1/4 can of coconut milk...what a delicious dinner!  I should have thought to add the onion I have too.  Another time.  While I know I shouldn't, pretty sure I could eat this soup a few weeks and not get sick of it :)

Wow, you all are doing great!! What a wild few days I have had here, finally slowing down enough to check in. Last night was too late after getting home from teaching Bible Study and tonight my daughter hosted a Mary Kay Party for her friends, some I have mentored for many years. Love the energy and now I am exhausted :) 

SO Whole30..... all 3 of us made it through Day 4!! Yesterday Day 3 we tried more new things -- zucchini zoodles, Golden Honeydew & Almond Butter. Loved our "spaghetti dinner", didn't miss pasta or peanut butter at all!! Today we found some chicken & apple sausage, fresh asparagus, mineral water was a treat!!

My daughter finally felt like she was getting some of her energy back this evening after two days of 'fog' and my husband feels good, but is fighting the extra time in the morning before he already has to be out the door for work by 7am. His mornings are not so relaxing any more. I am blessed to say that so far I have had nothing negative they talk about in the timeline, only some positive in some swelling is gone and feeling successful in the kitchen tho it is taking far more work that I thought. Not getting much else done, which is a big concern for me bc I have a very busy schedule during the school year!

All in all we feel much better and need to press on :) Here's to a good nights rest and hoping eggs aren't so 'eggy' in the morning!!

Here are some slow cooker recipes to help you reduce your time in the kitchen & still set healthy. I found if I do 1-2 days of big cooking & use leftovers or remake some parts ( leftover roast chicken use in salad or soup, etc) I can get by without tons of time every day

Hope we all have a good weekend. I need some prayers for discipline as my hubby likes to go out to eat on weekends which has been my downfall in the past. Trying to do better this time.

Take care

http://stupideasypaleo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Stupid-Easy-Paleo-Quick-Crockpot-Recipe-Guide-.pdf

Enjoyed Apple nut rings, avocado lime deviled eggs & a compliant version of sweet potato casserole! And the grilled filet was worth staying home for on a Friday night :) My daughter is feeling more normal, my husband continues to have no negative issues with his Crohn's at all - PRAISE THE LORD - and I am still overwhelmed at God's graciousness to me that I have no negative effects at all and have felt only better for the last 5 days. Each night I look over the timeline and brace myself for the morning and am pleasantly surprised. Good thing that the "napping" days of 6-7 are over the weekend for us :)

How are you all today? Hope you all are having success!!

Hi everyone! I've been having an interesting few days...On wednesday/thursday I wasn't hungry at all. I felt like I had to force myself to eat breakfast and dinner. However, on Friday and Saturday I felt like I was starving just a couple hours after I was eating. But I am following the guidelines as far as how much protein/veggies/etc to have so I have no idea what the problem is. Haha I am feeling okay right now so hopefully that was just my body still getting adjusted. So far my favorite thing I made was breakfast sausage and sweet potato fries. My husband's favorite were the lettuce wrapped fajitas. Yum! So much fun to experiment and make things that I've always previously storebought (like mayo, ranch dressing, the breakfast sausage, etc!) 

Thank you for the slowcook recipes PaleoGardener. They will come in handy tomorrow when I am at church all morning. I had a productive day!! I made homemade mayo & found organic pork and sugar-free bacon at a local butcher! Happiness :) I hear you about eating out. We do to on Friday night and Sunday dinner, have for years. So it's a challenge, may you have success!! I was in the grocery store tonight, walking down aisles that I bought lots in just a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the double emotion of missing the icecream yet feeling so good that I don't. Our minds are crazy how we can do both!!

Hi marinscb :) can I ask where you found fajitas sauce? I have been looking for a taco seasoning but all I have seen have sugar. My husband would LOVE some Mexican!! 

Press on, May tomorrow be an encouragement!!

Okay I am SO sad!!! I went to breakfast this morning with a friend (my first time eating out!) The menu said homemade turkey sausage so I asked the lady exactly what was in it, she told me the ingredients (turkey, sage, salt) and I specifically asked so there's no added sweetener or sugar? And she said no. THEN I asked what they cook their eggs in, she said butter, so I told her specifically do not cook my eggs in butter, please cook them in olive oil. She looked annoyed but said okay. Okay then fastforward I get my food and am eating the eggs and I felt like they tasted buttery, I get about halfway through and I ask my friend to try them (who is not on Whole 30) to see if she tastes butter. She takes one bite and is certain they have butter. SO I ask the manager and he says oh yeah these have butter in them it wasn't on your order ticket, but I'll remake them for you. Long story short...do I need to restart?!!? I'm so sad because I've been feeling great this whole week and it wasn't at all an error on my part because I was clear to the lady that took my order. Anyway, any idea if I need to be starting over?

Archived