Starting June 30th, 2014

CreatingReyRey

Day 5 and 6 have been so so for me. I have up glutin about 1 month before starting my Whole 30 so my withdraws have not been too terrible. Also before starting whole 30 I could easily run 1 mile ( doesn't sound like a lot for most people but I sure am proud!) but now I can hardly push myself to accomplish it. My body just felt dead. Today I walked 3.5 miles which felt fine. I wonder why running is all of a sudden a struggle? Maybe getting off sugar? Maybe I'm still in the hangover phase? I plan to run tomorrow (day 7) and I hope I feel better. So that's my update!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty achy and tired, still having trouble sleeping.

Interestingly, I've become quite consumed with tidying our apartment.  Yesterday I totally cleaned out the kitchen, wiped all the shelves, turfed out things we haven't used for years or don't need (hubby is making a trip to the opp shop tomorrow with donations in hand), moved everything around so the space works better.

It's almost like I'm whole30-ing our apartment.  Getting rid of things I don't need or want in my life anymore.  Weird, but it feels very carthatic.

I also went a bit mad cooking.  I made stock, ghee, mayonnaise, paleo salmon terrine, thai chicken curry, and this magic mushroom powder - http://thehealthyfoodie.com/magic-mushroom-powder/

I'll probably go for a walk later to try and stretch out the soreness.

Congratulations on resisting the ice-cream GaryandMe!

I started June 30 also, but just found this forum today, thanks to a heads up from another member. How are you all doing? I have stayed steady this past week even with three grand-kids in the house and a grandson in the hospital... In the book it Starts with Food they say no matter what stress stay with it, and I have taken it to heart. It was hard on The 4th, so wanted a beer; and I find it is harder than I thought to give up wine so it is probably a good thing I have done so! My sis and I are both in 100% and it is wonderful to have a buddy, but also it is cool to have this forum as well. Well, best of luck to all. Oh, and I don't know even what an IG is nor how to follow someone there!!!!! I don't know how to tweet either. But, I did buy the app for Nom Nom paleo and it is has a full section devoted to whole 30 with gorgeous step by step recipes and full color photographs of each step, shopping lists , the works. Love it for the inspiration that cooking and eating well is just what we should just do! After raising four kids I stopped cooking much.... not a great decision. Now I am actually kind of excited again! Have a good day!

Today was a huge struggle for me. I woke up super late and had to rush out the door with only an apple and a hard boiled egg for breakfast. At lunch all my coworkers had Mexican brought in then had cupcakes. I ate my whole 30 lunch I packed but I didn't feel satisfied with my meal as I watched them eat. I LOVE Mexican. Oh and did I mention someone brought in donuts in the morning!? Finally I made fish and veggies for dinner tonight which my husband ate as well but he also toasted a couple pieces of bread which smelled amazing! He is not doing whole 30 or even eating paleo/healthy. I'm doing this solo and today was very head for me. Thank you for this forum, thank you for the support. I'm proud I didn't cave and eat that crap today but my willpower was tested to the max.

I also am having exercise fatigue!  I went on a 25 mile bike ride Saturday and I felt like I was in a constant state of bonk!  Everytime we hit a hill my legs burned like crazy.  My theory is that my carbo stores are empty.  Therefore, my body has to learn to get energy from fat (and there's plenty of that).  Even when I went for my walk by the river with the dog, I felt sluggish.

We went down to the beach with our kids over the fourth and everyone was eating holiday food.  I never thought I could lust over ice cream.

One thing I've noticed is how great my salads taste.  Maybe hunger IS the best seasoning.  Kudos to everyone that is sticking with it.  I find as long as I don't let myself get too hungry, I can do this OK.  I'm in for the long haul.  Thanks for the support!

Hey all! I've decided that 'noideawhatdayitis' is our cheerleader! Thanks everyone for being here for us. I have also noticed that I can actually taste the sweetness of the lettuce in my salad. Seems like everything tastes better. AND!! I have spent 2 days straight, cleaning my kitchen!

Scrubbing every inch, rearranging, throwing stuff away...WHEW! But otherwise, we are doing ok. Hooray for day NINE!!

Oh yes & one more thing. I am noticing that I have a very slight stomachache at the exact time that it's time to eat. Almost like clockwork. I finally realized that this is my body, telling me it's time to refuel. I don't think I've ever known what real hunger felt like. Very interesting!

Good job cleaning your kitchen @GaryAndMe and thanks for sharring your insight into your new discoveries along the way. Day 9 is going much better than day 8. I'm less emotional, I have more energy and I just took a 7lb pork shoulder out of the oven! I'm also trying to eat more fermented foods. I had them 3 times the first week. This week I have eaten something fermented every day. So far so good! I can't wait to hear other peoples updates!

Hi I started on June 30 as well. Glad I found this group! I have been so exhausted and feeling sick the last two days. I did check in with my brother who is my super support system and did the whole30 years ago and has been eating Paleo for years and he said it's normal so I'm not rushing to the doctor yet. I found the first week to be not too bad but this weekend it was almost like torture I just wanted to eat "something "not that I could say what it was I just had this urge to eat something. But I made it through and now then I'm into the week it feels less difficult.

Happy day 9!

Hey, I just realised that being in Australia means I'm slightly ahead of you guys - currently having breakfast on Day 10.  Day 9 meant sugar cravings and weird dreams about Ryan Reynolds coming over for and me serving him Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner.

Hey @Sparky - I would have exercise fatigue too if I'd just ridden 25 miles.  I can't even drive that far.

I found during my first Whole30 that exercising as I had in the past was difficult at first - no energy at all.  Actually now that I think that through I have rarely been inspired to exercise EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE.  But I agree, I think your body is just trying to get used to a new way of working.  After time it gets better and then becomes full of awesomeness.

It's nice to see everyone getting through the first difficult week and having the tastebuds all come back singing has been a delight!

Well I've been doing pretty good.  Today is the first day I haven't had intensive cravings or hungry all the time.  I still feel like I have no energy when I exercise.  I'll be glad when that goes away.  I can't get over how good salad tastes.  I don't know if I am hallucinating through my taste buds or this is really going on.  I don't crave bread (I used to eat up to 8 slices a day).  I wasn't a big dairy eater, except for good cheese and ice cream  I seem to not be craving cheese but seeing someone with ice cream gives me a Pavlovian response.

Is it winter down under?  It was 97 degrees here today and I forced myself to go for a walk with the dog.  Sweaty and tired when I got home.  Hope everyone is still on the path.

Things are going well for me. I still dont feel that well during my workouts but they are getting better. Im hoping my energy level while running improves. I feel like I have no gas in the tank. One thing i noticed is my appetite is way down and i get full super quick. I have alot of weight to loose so im not complaining. I am drinking tons of water so that could be why im not as hungry. Good job eveyone for making it this far. I decided im going to treat myself to a fitbit on day 30. Is anyone else going to spoil themselves when their whole 30 is over? A massage? New shoes? New (smaller sized) cloths!?

Howdy Friends!

Yesterday was tough! After running some errands, I got home and crashed for an hour. Had some chills, felt fevered and woke up sweating. Bleh!!

So - I just drank lots of water, made myself eat dinner and tried to just relax. Maybe I overdosed on housecleaning! Ha!!

Today - I feel back to normal. Nothing exciting to post, but surprised that week 2 seems to have flown.

This Monday - I start a new job after being laid off for 2 months. Would appreciate prayers as I have never done the whole30 anywhere but home.

I too am just starting to lose the appetite I experienced the first week.  I still have no energy though I have been going out on a five mile walk with the dog.  Too hot to ride a bike.  

GarAndMe...Good luck on the new job.

Maryc21...What is a fitbit?  My splurge on day 30 is going to have ice cream in it.  I too can manage to lose excess weight.  My wife says she notices that I am losing already.  

Sparky-

Thanks for the 'good luck'! I've really been spoiled, staying home...and Gary too.

I asked my husband today if he's decided what is first meal might be after our 1st 30 - but I suspect that mine 30 will become a 60, as I have lots of bad habits to break.

Morning Troops!  It's lucky Day 13.

Friday nights at the end of a LONG working week without having a drink - tough!  That being said, I am out of bed on a Saturday BEFORE 8am and have already consumed my first delicious coffee.  And am feeling really chirpy.

I thought that through again and my mind just boggled.

Yes @Sparky, it's Winter down under, no snow here but endless months of rain and grey skies.  I combat this through the wearing of bright pink nail polish and continuous consumption of Vitamin D tablets. 

@Maryc21, you have raised one of my favourite topics of conversation (and one that I truly believe deserves its own thread) - "How Shall I Reward Myself Upon Completion of my Whole30?"  I already have my massage appointment booked in, and having been eyeing off this delightful piece of makeup sexiness on my lunch breaks.  (as an aside, why is makeup so much more expensive in Australia??????)  However, I'm a great believer in a program of staged, planned self-rewarding, and will be giving myself presents on Days 15, 20, 25 and (of course) 30.

@GaryandMe - good thoughts for your new job on Monday.  And you CAN TOTALLY do a Whole30 at work.  You're a smart woman.  You know you can.

I'm not sure if you guys are first timers - this is my second Whole30 and the awesome feelings are kicking in much earlier than last time.  Hang in there if you're still feeling tired or have no energy - I spent two weeks of my first one taking naps all the time.  Naps are the best.  Even when I wasn't tired anymore I kept taking them because naps really are the best.  I remember this surge of energy just suddenly kicking in, it was a pretty magical feeling.  And don't worry if you've no energy to exercise - just be patient, it will come.  I went for an awesome  walk the other night and had "Eye of the Tiger" on constant rotation on my headphones and I was wearing a grey marle sweatshirt AND a beanie.  I didn't have any Art Museum steps to climb up though but I was muttering "Adrienne" to myself as I went along.

Yes - what is a fitbit?

And @Sparky - it's probably a bit late to say this but I'll say it anyway - Happy Birthday for July 3rd.

It's so nice to have you guys "here".  I'm keeping on cheering for you!

Here is a fitbit : http://www.fitbit.com

It's a great tool to help you stay on track with your fitness and health goals.

My energy is slowly improving but my appetite is still low. I have little to no cravings anymore so that's a plus.

@garyandme: positive thoughts on your new job!

@noideawhatdayitis: thanks for sharing how often you napped specifically during your first whole 30. I always feel guilty when I dose off. I feel I should be doing something active or working out.

One of my goals during these 30 days is to not only loose weight but learn to listen to by body. When it's tired I should rest. When I'm truely hungry I should eat. When I have energy I should use it.

How is everyone doing with meals? I love to cook and have been compiling recipes. I would love know some of your favorite meals so far.

I'm starting to do better on the exercise front.  I went on a fairly long walk with my "grand-dog" and didn't poop out.  I'm finding a good breakfast sticks to the ribs and keeps me going until mid-afternoon.  I'm feeling pretty good on this plan and think I can complete it, which makes me happy since it is my first time around.  The diet doesn't seem to be a bad fit and I plan to incorporate it into my lifestyle when my 30 is up.  I have a feeling my problem foods will be wheat and dairy.

Stay the course and good luck to everybody.

I read something today that is totally off any topic but is both funny and true so I thought I'd share it with you:

Hanlon's razor is an eponymous adage that allows the elimination of unlikely explanations for a phenomenon. It reads:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

@Sparky love the quote! I'm glad your workouts are getting easier as well. I am also finding when I eat a good breakfast I'm not hungry till 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

Yesterday I went out with some " foodie friends" and they talked about all this amazing food that I am not allowing myself to eat. It's crazy how even taking about food can create powerful cravings. I went home after that and had some chicken then a Lara bar :/

@noideawhatdayitis: thanks for sharing that website

I have not stepped on a scale (per the rules) but I did measure my waist and hips. I lost 4.5 inches off my waist and 1.5 off my hips!! Boom!! Seeing those results definitely make this whole 30 a bit easier.

Archived