Starting June 30th, 2014

CreatingReyRey

Evening troops, good to hear @Sparky and @Maryc21 that workouts are getting better and breakfasts are being awesome.  It's amazing when you suddenly stop being hungry all the time, I'm loving it and feeling all invincible.  Had a good 5km walk yesterday, felt like I could have kept going forever (this rarely happens to me.)

My jeans are getting baggier.  Today I wore my moderately skinny jeans.  Yip.  I'm actually finding the scale more tempting this time around, but have managed to keep off it.  Might ask hubby to hide it somewhere or throw in it the bin.

@Maryc21 - don't look at Pinterest.  It's temptation city!  There's no way you can avoid pictures of food.

We're nearly half way through guys.   :D

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother in law is staying with us for awhile and she had cravings for ice cream.  So I had to take her to the yogurt shop and watch them eat two very large delicious looking, mouth watering, lip smacking, refreshing containers of frozen yogurt.  MIL is terminal so I had to take her.  Hope I get brownie points for this.  :)  

@sparky: you definitely get major bonus points for watching that. I think that is where I am struggling the most. My husband is not doing this with me so I see him on an almost daily basis eat thighs I can't. For example last night he had a cheeseburger and loaded fries. Ugh! I had chicken and broccoli. I try and put a positive spin on it and think it's helping me strengthen my will power. Sorry to hear your MIL is terminal. She deserves whatever she wants!

You got that!  Just found out about a month ago.  She's a sweetie and she says she's had a good life (80).  We are going to make sure she gets anything she wants.  She accepted me into her family like one of her own.  Gotta love that woman!

Meanwhile, I went on a long mountain bike ride today and felt pretty darn good overall.  I'm sticking with the plan (it helps that I'm a meat lover), but still can't wait until it's over.

Stay strong fellow travelers!

Im also looking forward when these 30 days are over. Im not craving certain foods but i miss them. I miss blue cheese on my steaks or parmesan cheese on my asparagus. I no longer drink milk or eat yogurt (i havent in several years) but i plan on integrating cheese back in when the 30 days are over, thats if my body accepts it :). My pants are looser and my wheat belly is smaller but i need more patience. This diet is very difficut and i feel i have been working very hard but of corse i want instant results :/

Question: how often are you guys working out? I am running 3 times a week and riding my bike twice a week.

Good 17th Day Morning Troops!

@Maryc21 - can I come over to your place and watch your husband eat thighs?  (sorry, I know it's a spelling mistake but it's making me giggle.) 

You guys are amazing, good people!  It is so hard to watch other people eat things you're chosing not to have.  My husband isn't doing a Whole30 but I'm pretty lucky in that he's incredibly supportive (if I'm on a Whole30 it means I'm less cranky which is a win for him as I'm easier to live with).  Still, it's rotten when it's the middle of winter and we're at our favourite bar, with the fireplace crackling away, and he's drinking this delicious biodynamic cab sav and I'm stuck with soda water.  There's a crepe place near my work and a colleague came back yesterday with a delicious late afternoon snack and it smelt sooooooo good.  (Is there any rule against sniffing things that aren't compliant?)

@Maryc21 - you have been working hard!  Sticking to a Whole30 is challenging but can I encourage you to keep going?  The best part happens in the last 5 or 6 days.

My skin's looking really clear and my eyes are brighter too, has anyone else noticed that?  And my sense of taste has really changed.  Macadamia nuts taste sweet, so do sauteed onions.

Regarding exercise, I ride to work everyday but I don't believe it actually raises my heart-rate above sleeping levels (if I want that to happen I go shoe-shopping.)  I've been walking about 5kms (3 miles?) every second day and doing yoga on the other days, but I haven't been religous about it.  I have also bought a swim pass as I like to camp out in the slow lap lane.  My energy levels are much better on this second Whole30, which I wasn't expecting.  I barely exercised on my first one, I was so tired all the time (plus I'd injured my knee so couldn't walk.)

Patience.  I wish they could sell that in a jar, next to the organic grass fed ghee.

@noideawhatdayitis: its nice to hear im not the only one without a ton of energy during our first whole 30. Im still waiting to get that huge surger everyone talks about. I get frustrated when i have to pull myself out of bed or off the couch to workout. Oh and thanks for that link to the recipies! I appreciate all your support along the way!

I only felt really energised at about day 28 or 29.  But when it happened - oh wow!

Some people get amazing surges of energy, some don't.  I've said this elsewhere on the forum but from all the reading I've been doing it appears everyone has their own unique experience on the Whole30.  My theory is that if you follow the rules (use the meal template, no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol, no grains, no scales) and do it for 30 days then you're "doing it right."  It's actually really, brilliantly simple when you think about it.

Sometimes it's good to block out everyone else's noise (mine included ;) ) and listen to your own body.  If you listen carefully you'll hear it saying "Thank You!".

Hello Friends!

Just completed day 18.

Feeling tired & then energetic, off & on.

Guess my hormones are fluctuating, or something?

It rained all day here in Oklahoma, and my daughter, home from college, was craving Mexican food...a rainy day favorite of mine.

But I resisted! Got her a couple of tacos, then went home for my homemade vegetable stew.

Absolutely Delicious!!

Oh, and by the way, my new job starts this coming Monday because of paperwork. So, one last week of freedom!

Can any of you W30 Veterans simply explain what we are to do on Day 31?

I am thinking that I may require another 30, as

I have many years of bad habits to conquer, not to mention many pounds! But curious to know about the next step.

@GaryAndMe: I was thinking the same thing? What do we do on day 31? I also feel I need to keep going but not because of bad habits but more due to weight loss. I also want to keep going because I feel it will help continue to strengthen my will power.

Is anyone up for doing another 30 days with me? Does anyone want a week break before jumping in again? (I would LOVE) some bacon!!

One thing I've noticed is my sugar cravings have diminished. Before starting this I would crave something sweet after lunch and dinner. If I didn't satisfy that craving it would nag at me for several hours. Annoying!!!! I don't get that feeling anymore which is great! Also my workouts continue to improve. But one thing I notice is I tend to get waves of lightheadedness while running. They are not bad enough to make me stop but they are not going away (at first I thought it was because I was new to the program and my body wasn't use to it). I run first thing in the moring and have a big glass of water before I head out. Think I might need to eat something before hand? I don't want it to make me sick while Im running. I would love your opinions!!

Happy day 18!!!

P.S. I slept 10 hours last night and it felt amazing!!

@GaryAndMe: I was thinking the same thing? What do we do on day 31? I also feel I need to keep going but not because of bad habits but more due to weight loss. I also want to keep going because I feel it will help continue to strengthen my will power.

Is anyone up for doing another 30 days with me? Does anyone want a week break before jumping in again? (I would LOVE) some bacon!!

One thing I've noticed is my sugar cravings have diminished. Before starting this I would crave something sweet after lunch and dinner. If I didn't satisfy that craving it would nag at me for several hours. Annoying!!!! I don't get that feeling anymore which is great! Also my workouts continue to improve. But one thing I notice is I tend to get waves of lightheadedness while running. They are not bad enough to make me stop but they are not going away (at first I thought it was because I was new to the program and my body wasn't use to it). I run first thing in the moring and have a big glass of water before I head out. Think I might need to eat something before hand? I don't want it to make me sick while Im running. I would love your opinions!!

Happy day 18!!!

P.S. I slept 10 hours last night and it felt amazing!!

I plan to just keep going with whole30 80/20 after day 30. If it is a special ocassion and I fancy something I will have it, otherwise on a normal day I will just eat the same way. As for exercise. (I don't run but I play squash), I find a bit of fruit before hand stops the light headedness. Melon or banana. Nothing heavy. Not sure if it is totally compliant so I have had it for the last couple of week, but that is what I was having before I started my whole30 and it works well for me. 

As for exercise. (I don't run but I play squash), I find a bit of fruit before hand stops the light headedness. Melon or banana. Nothing heavy. Not sure if it is totally compliant so I have had it for the last couple of week, but that is what I was having before I started my whole30 and it works well for me. 

You shouldn't eat fruit right before you exercise because it encourages your body to use the easily accessed sugar for energy instead of your fat stores. We definitely recommend eating protein and fat before you exercise especially if it is first thing in the morning or there has been a long time since your previous meal. I was doing half marathon training during my first Whole30 and I would usually eat 2 eggs if I didn't have time to eat more than an hour before my run. If I could eat more than an hour before I would eat a full meal 1 with no starchy vegetables or fruit. I still do this when I work out first thing in the AM. Start small with something like a hardboiled egg and see how it goes.

I experienced unparalleled torture this week in the form of cupcakes!  The big thing here in Bend, Oregon is cupcakes for dessert.  Not just Betty Crocker mix, but from a specialty bakery called Ida's.  I sat and literally salivated as 6 people tore into a dozen of these gourmet cupcakes.  Flavors like orange cream, tequila, and chocolate coconut.  I did sneak one into the freezer for day 31.  Speaking of day 31, there is a re-entry plan on the main page about how to reintroduce foods into your system.  http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

This will be important for me because I am trying to find out which foods are causing me problems and which are not.  I welcome the weight loss wholeheartedly because I'm a tubby.  I plan to keep to the original whole 30 with only "special" occasion diversions. 

Maryc21...you were asking about exercise.  What I try to do is yoga 2 times a week and either a 5 mile walk, a 25 mile road bike ride, or a 15 mile mountain bike ride for the rest of the week.  It ends up with me taking at least one full day off or maybe two because of life's persistent duties which I just can't seem to avoid.

noideawhatdayitis...Thanks for the encouragement to keep on going on.  It is simple if you just don't let your head complicate it.

garyandme...I love Mexican food!  I'm glad no one has tempted me with that.  If I only could eat two ethnic cuisines, it would be Mexican and Indian (Lamb Biriyani).

Anipi..I don't play squash, but I sure have been eating a lot of it.  I like your plan and am going to try to do the same.

Stay strong...12 days left!

You shouldn't eat fruit right before you exercise because it encourages your body to use the easily accessed sugar for energy instead of your fat stores. We definitely recommend eating protein and fat before you exercise especially if it is first thing in the morning or there has been a long time since your previous meal. I was doing half marathon training during my first Whole30 and I would usually eat 2 eggs if I didn't have time to eat more than an hour before my run. If I could eat more than an hour before I would eat a full meal 1 with no starchy vegetables or fruit. I still do this when I work out first thing in the AM. Start small with something like a hardboiled egg and see how it goes.

Ok, thanks Physibeth

I experienced unparalleled torture this week in the form of cupcakes!  The big thing here in Bend, Oregon is cupcakes for dessert.  Not just Betty Crocker mix, but from a specialty bakery called Ida's.  I sat and literally salivated as 6 people tore into a dozen of these gourmet cupcakes.  Flavors like orange cream, tequila, and chocolate coconut.  I did sneak one into the freezer for day 31.  Speaking of day 31, there is a re-entry plan on the main page about how to reintroduce foods into your system.  http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

This will be important for me because I am trying to find out which foods are causing me problems and which are not.  I welcome the weight loss wholeheartedly because I'm a tubby.  I plan to keep to the original whole 30 with only "special" occasion diversions. 

Maryc21...you were asking about exercise.  What I try to do is yoga 2 times a week and either a 5 mile walk, a 25 mile road bike ride, or a 15 mile mountain bike ride for the rest of the week.  It ends up with me taking at least one full day off or maybe two because of life's persistent duties which I just can't seem to avoid.

noideawhatdayitis...Thanks for the encouragement to keep on going on.  It is simple if you just don't let your head complicate it.

garyandme...I love Mexican food!  I'm glad no one has tempted me with that.  If I only could eat two ethnic cuisines, it would be Mexican and Indian (Lamb Biriyani).

Anipi..I don't play squash, but I sure have been eating a lot of it.  I like your plan and am going to try to do the same.

Stay strong...12 days left!

There is a pulse test that you can also do when you are reintroducing foods. I will try using that as well since in the past I have found I can introduce food without and problem, but over time my health starts to decline and I don't know from what. 

What is the pulse test?

An article I found via google and an exert of the test. I have found this to work for me as if I wait for symptoms to appear the whole process gets very messy and I end up having no idea which foods caused me problems as for me the reaction builds up over time. This is good as I can have the odd cheats but also means I need to stick to 100% paleo most of the time. I hope this time I can customise my diet a little more. Plus, I suspect tomatoes and pepers may be causing me a problem so I aim to test those...along with eggs. All of which are allowed during the whole30. I don't feel much difference since starting the whole30 so wonder if something I am eating is not right for me but will wait till the end of the 30 days before experimenting. There is also a shorter version of the test in this article. I am sure you can find more information on the internet as well, this was just one of the first I came across and it looked very comprehensive. 

http://maninisglutenfreeblog.com/2011/07/22/determining-food-allergysensitivity-the-pulse-test-and-other-do-it-yourself-strategies/

In his book, The Pulse Test, Dr. Coca first tells the reader to stop smoking and then gives the following instructions:

“1.      You count your pulse (one minute) a) just before each meal; B) three times after each meal at half-hour intervals; c) just before retiring; d) just after waking, before rising in the morning. All pulse counts are to be made sitting except the important one on waking. This is made before you sit up.

2)      You record all the items you eat at each meal.

3)      You continue the pulse-dietary records for two or three days with the usual three meals.

4)      You then make single-food tests for two or more whole days every hour. You count the pulse before you eat the food and again 30 minutes later.”

Using this method, you discover which foods cause pulse increases of more than six to eight beats per minute, and you eliminate those foods from your diet. You may also detect a chemical exposure that might account for a pulse increase, for example between rising and eating your first meal. Over time, the minimum and maximum pulse rates decline, as one eliminates offending items. It can be a bit complicated to detect the delayed reactions that might occur one to three days later, so it does have its limitations (see below). Nevertheless, it can prove useful.

Morning Troops and welcome to day 23.

@GaryandMe - you resisted tacos, awesome work!  How was the first day on your new job?

@Sparky - I can't believe you resisted cupcakes - WOW - I am currently dreaming about cupcakes, I don't know what I'd do if I saw a real life cupcake in front of me.  Actually I'd probably be able to resist, I've come this far - why not keep going?

Having said that, my hormones have been going off-tap.  A new equation for you - Whole30 + Period =  Extreme Sport.  That was probably the most challenging part of my whole30 so far.  I did have a few days of "why the hell am I doing this to myself?"  It didn't seem as though there were enough sweet potatoes in the world to help me!  Happily the sugar cravings seem to have diminished, despite my crazy dreams.

I also wonder about day 31 (actually, I plan to go to day 32, and partake of a glass of prosecco on Day 33.)  I'm really keen to start "riding my own bike" - http://whole30.com/2012/01/ride-your-own-bike-2/.  I was pretty freaked out about Day 31 when I finished my first Whole30, but am more confident this time around.  My body and I are having a red hot love affair at the moment, where I'm giving it awesome food and it's paying me back by allowing me to fit into my skinny jeans (*major fist pump*).  I'm keen to keep the passion going!

How are you guys all doing?  We've only got one week left, and from my experience the last week is when I really saw and felt the results.  I'm keen to hear how things are going - do tell!

I have been keeping my food choices "by the book" and now that I am in the last week, I feel it is the norm.  I noticed a quick weight lost the first week (one notch on my belt) but haven't noticed any other signs of weight loss.  It will be interesting to see what the scales say next week.  

The sugar dragon has been plaguing me lately, especially after dinner.  I usually try to eat a piece of fruit and it seems to work.  I do feel somewhat better overall and am looking forward to the "spurts of energy' some say happen in the last few days.

Be strong...Be healthy...Be happy

Archived