Starting June 30th, 2014

CreatingReyRey

I might need some support/help. For over the past week I have not had much of an appitie and very little energy. From past paleo extreiences I read only eat when you are hungry and dont be surprised if you only feel the need to eat 1-2 times a day. I only eat 3 meals a day on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. I eat 2 meals per day the rest of the week. When I do eat the meals are very small and I get full quick. I don't snack. I'm glad my appitite is under control since I have major weight to lose.

The problem is I have zero energy. I have no drive, no pep. I am still working out at least 5 days a week. What do you guys think is going on? Any suggestions?

I have ZERO interest in food. Nothing sounds good or tastes good. #frustrated.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might need some support/help. For over the past week I have not had much of an appitie and very little energy. From past paleo extreiences I read only eat when you are hungry and dont be surprised if you only feel the need to eat 1-2 times a day. I only eat 3 meals a day on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. I eat 2 meals per day the rest of the week. When I do eat the meals are very small and I get full quick. I don't snack. I'm glad my appitite is under control since I have major weight to lose.

The problem is I have zero energy. I have no drive, no pep. I am still working out at least 5 days a week. What do you guys think is going on? Any suggestions?

I have ZERO interest in food. Nothing sounds good or tastes good. #frustrated.

This is unfortunately very common but it is important that you eat. When your hormones are off it isn't really possible to trust your body is giving you the correct signals. My advice would be to force 3 template meals a day even if you eat them over the course of 4-6 sittings just to ensure you are getting enough nutrients in your body. So by this I mean within an hour of waking make a meal that fits the lower end of the template and eat as much of it is as you can making sure you hit each group (a little protein, some veg, some fat). When you just can't eat anymore put that food aside for a mini meal later. Plan your meal times about 5-6 hours a part and sit down to eat a meal at those times regardless. Your body will adjust it just needs time. As far as nothing sounding good just keep things really simple for now. This too shall pass.

You might also find this article interesting: http://whole30.com/2014/02/listen-to-your-body/

@Physibeth: thanks for the article and help. I tried eating smaller meals and more often during the day and now that it's dinner time I'm actually hungry! And a big salad sounds good.

How is everyone else doing? I ordered my fitbit today as my 30 day gift! I don't think I'll make my goal of loosing 1 pants size in 30 days but I can tell I've lost inches. Maybe I'll drop a pants size when I complete another whole 30!

Oh and my friend convinced me to sign up for a 5K august 9th. It will be my first one and I'm super nervous.

Thanks @Physibeth - I was hoping a moderator would weigh in on @Maryc21's query!

I'm feeling really good today.  It waxes and wanes though - yesterday I was exhausted after work and lay in a hot bath listening to Miles Davis.  I'm looking forward to consistent energetic feelings.  Work's been pretty busy over the past fortnight, I'd like to have enough energy to do other things when I get home.

@Maryc21 - I like how you've already ordered yourself a 30 day gift.  Top work.

Can't believe we're up to day 24.

Hey Gang!

Is it really Day 21? I've stopped paying attention, just Whole Thirtying along, like I've got good sense!

I am house/dog sitting out of town this week, and training for my new job. Away from home. Away from my kitchen. Away from my W30 buddy (husband). Away from my #1 cheerleader (daughter). So- the last week will be quite a test!

I've been 'laid off' for 2 months, and was able to plan meals quite easily. Starting tomorrow, I will face the constraints of being a working woman again. NOT looking forward to that!

How's everyone doing? Haven't heard from some of you in a while. God Bless!

PS: I wrote the previous post 2 days ago, just now got it to post!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts/prayers about my new job.

It's been fine & despite being all alone, away from home, I have NOT cheated!

That was a big problem for me in the past, sneaking good & hiding

food...feels good to respect myself enough to stay honest.

Love hearing from everyone...we keep each other sane!

@noideawhatdayitis: thanks for sharing how your energy levels rise and fall. I feel the same way.

@GaryAndMe: great job not cheating while you were out if town and not in your kitchen and surrounded with your family's support! It sounds like you have changed your perspective on food - no longer using it as a reward or comfort. Way to go!!

I've been noticing my willpower being tested more than ever when it comes to cheese. Glorious, creamy, cheese! I crave it!!!! Ugh! When I started whole 30 I didn't think I would struggle with the no cheese aspect. I thought the sugar demon would get me.

I just picked up a new paleo cookbook when I was at Costco earlier in the week so hopefully that will give me some new cheese free recipes to try.

Yay to day 25!!!!

@Physibeth: thanks for the article and help. I tried eating smaller meals and more often during the day and now that it's dinner time I'm actually hungry! And a big salad sounds good.

You are welcome! A note on salads...if you are eating most of your vegetables raw this might be part of why you can't get a larger meal in. Raw veggies can fill you up fast with less volume but won't last as long. I try and do a good mix of both cooked and raw to get a larger variety of nutrients in. Do remember to keep trying for that template sized meal 3 times a day, but where you are at now is a fine starting point.

Hey Friends!

I am at the end of Day 27 of my first Whole 30, and today was rough!

To begin with, I did NOT want breakfast, but made myself eat it.

As the morning progressed, I developed a headache & upset stomach.

(As a side-note: I had read that white potatoes are now allowed, so I had a small one with my meal last night...

Perhaps my body is voting 'no' on this food?)

Anyway, I crashed! Slept about 3 hours, and even though I'm awake now, I feel like I'm in a fog.

Forced myself to eat my 2nd/3rd meal (slept through one),

And I was actually hungry again.

It's all very strange, but I related so much to many of your posts, that I thought I'd share.

And, I too have been experiencing anxiety about Day 31.

I know this is about much more than weight, but I do need to see the number decrease.

My clothes are getting loose and most days, my energy level has increased, but I am almost 100 pounds overweight,

I'm ready to unleash the 'real me'!

The idea of reintroducing scares me. I suspect I may continue with another 30 days, or more.

Would love to hear from anyone with help or info. Thanks!

Hello there @GaryAndMe! (and hello to everyone else!  Day 28 is DONE.)

Thanks for being so honest.  I've been finding the past few week really tough as well.  There's the usual anxiety about "What's Going to Happen on Day 31?"  My period threw me for a six and I've been totally exhausted since it finished.  Hello anaemia, old wretched friend, and hello iron tablets and massive steaks.  Plus I've done something to my neck (suspect it's my work set-up) so have had constant headaches for the past days as well.  Talk about feeling tired and cranky and in pain.  If I could get up the energy I'd go for a nice good walk which would help iron my neck out but I have no energy......plus my body voted "no" to potatoes as well!  (I wonder if we get a slap on the wrist for eating them before August?)  And I'm ANGRY about this!  I felt so awesome at the end of my first Whole30.  WHERE IS MY AWESOME NOW, I ASK YOU????????

I have lots of bad habits to break too, and suspect it's going to take more than two Whole30s to do it.  I wish I could experience stress, or be upset, or anxious, without feeling the need to turn to junk food for comfort.  My sugar dragon is incredibly robust!  I find myself reading baking blogs during my Whole30 - frequently!

I'm by no means an expert, but I think if you're finding the Whole30 to be of great benefit, and feel those benefits would continue if you stayed on the plan, then turn it into a Whole60.  At some point you'll have to learn to eat and live in the "real world" but I can't see how it's going to harm you if you continue eating great, wholesome food for another 30 days.  

A moderator may feel free to weigh in at this point and add their two cents' worth.

On another note, how's everyone else doing at the tail-end of their Whole30?

Continuing another 30 days and making it a Whole60 is perfectly fine if you do not feel ready for reintroductions yet. Moderator Tom often shares that he went many many months before choosing to eat anything off plan when he first started eating this way. Whatever choice you make I encourage you to eventually do reintroductions of food you may want to eat at some point in a careful way to ensure that you know how they make you feel. When people go overboard and eat multiple food groups on day 31 (or 61) and then have a reaction they don't know what they reacted too.

Habits are hard things to break and behavior changes have to be forced sometimes. I would advice breaking up with reading baking blogs as a substitute for actually eating sugar. It is still feeding the same response. Make a list of things that make you feel calm that have nothing to do with food and post it on your fridge. Pick something off this list when you feel the sugar dragon roar. Retraining the response takes time but it can be done.

Well, we are rounding third and heading home.  I have had my appetite finally level off and seem able to sustain myself on the dietary regimen.  My wife and I went on a demanding hike Friday that literally kicked my butt.  We had spent 1-1/2 hours at yoga and decided to climb up to the top of Black Butte.  From the parking lot it is only 2 miles, but the elevation gain is 1600'.  I struggled terribly to get to the top; it took an hour and a half, but once there it was very picturesque.  Today, two days after the fact, my calves are screaming in pain.  I think maybe I pushed this  64 year old body too hard while still on the plan.  I could go about 50-100 yards and the lactic acid buildup in my legs caused me to stop to rest.  Oh well, live and learn.

I too am overweight.  I want to lose 40 pounds to at least get back to the weight I was when I married 39 years ago.  I've started using a calorie counting app (myfitnesspal) to keep an eye on what I consume.  I am confident I can stay within the goals of the Whole30 while still having a special "treat" once in awhile.  As I said before, I think my bad foods will be wheat and/or dairy and I can foresee life living like that.  

I started yoga wife my wife at the beginning of this year and promised to a one year commitment to see if I experienced any improvement.  After six months, I have seen a great deal of improvement.  I no longer suffer the constant back pain and am able to touch my toes for the first time in many years.  This all leads to where I am today.  I realized to get a greater benefit from yoga I would have to lose some weight (funny how a big gut can get in the way).  At the same time, I was going to the doctor for digestive problems and he had suggested trying to do without dairy for a time to see if it helped.  Then I read about the Whole30 and it seemed a way to kill two birds with one stone, lose weight and identify problem foods.  So here I am, two days to go and I am excited to see what happens.  We should all share how our reentry works for each of us.

Congratulations all!

Habits are hard things to break and behavior changes have to be forced sometimes. I would advice breaking up with reading baking blogs as a substitute for actually eating sugar. It is still feeding the same response. Make a list of things that make you feel calm that have nothing to do with food and post it on your fridge. Pick something off this list when you feel the sugar dragon roar. Retraining the response takes time but it can be done.

Good advice, and with a practical way to deal with the sugar demon - thanks @Physibeth.

We did it!!! I feel amazing! My soul and willpower are stronger than I thought. Today I also tried on a smaller pair of pants and they FIT!!! My goal was to drop 1 pant size in 30 days and I did it!! I am on cloud nine right now. Im hesitant to measure my inches lost because (tmi) I just started my period. And all the ladies here know we tend to bloat a bit during this time. The last time I measures I had lost 5 inches from my waist and 3 inches from my hips. I'm completely happy with that outcome.

@garyand me: I will start another whole 30 on August 4th wih you. But am going to allow myself to have bacon and very very very small amounts of raw cheese.

My relationship with food is completly different. I look at menus completely different. Most important I look at myself completely different. I cannot wait to continue this journey with all of you!

I honestly have no interest in stepping on a scale. I can tell I have lost by the way my cloths fit and the inches I have lost around my stomach and hips. My biggest demon was not food but the scale. I started eating glutein free and mainly paleo before I started whole 30. But I would weigh myself every day then get discouraged by the ups and downs this causing me to self sabotage. Whole 30 and all of you have helped me over come my scale obsession!

I cannot wait to hear everyone else's success stories!!

Had a date with Way Scayles.  He's not as handsome as I remember him and I'd forgotten about his manipulative tendencies and the way he played with my mind all the time.  Nonetheless, he did tell me I'd lost 4 kilos (a bit under 9 pounds) and six inches in total off my measurements.

I decided I don't really want to see him anymore.  I'm feeling pretty good on my own.  Even had two whole days without thinking about sugar.

@garyandme and @maryc21 - I'm going to keep eating this way, but will add in a lovely glass of cava when the occasion calls for it.  I'd also like to go out for meals without stressing about every ingredient!

I can't wait to hear how everyone else is feeling too.

@noideawhatdayitis: I also will mostly likely have a glass of wine (or 2) soon. I have been invited to a surprise birthday party on August 15th for a friend who I rarely see and am in a wedding on August 23rd and will toast the bride and groom. Those dates are honestly the only times I will. I knew my August would be a busy month for me and that why I wanted to do the whole 30 in July. Great job on all the inches lost!!

I read a blog post along the way (I can't remember where) and it said to order a club sod or sparkling water with a lime and it looks like a cocktail. That way people won't constantly ask why your not drinking.

@noideawhatdayitis: I also will mostly likely have a glass of wine (or 2) soon. I have been invited to a surprise birthday party on August 15th for a friend who I rarely see and am in a wedding on August 23rd and will toast the bride and groom. Those dates are honestly the only times I will. I knew my August would be a busy month for me and that why I wanted to do the whole 30 in July. Great job on all the inches lost!!

I read a blog post along the way (I can't remember where) and it said to order a club sod or sparkling water with a lime and it looks like a cocktail. That way people won't constantly ask why your not drinking.

Hey ya'll !

I weighed this morning & lost 16 pounds!!

My husband lost 13!!

We are so pumped!

Taking our mini break, but will definitely hit it hard

this coming Monday!

Hope to see all of you here again...

I can't tell you how much it has helped having friends here to turn to, in joy & in sorrow!

Happy Day 31 to all of you.

@noidea...

Thanks so much! We have been having an unusual amount of earthquakes in Oklahoma (yes, you read that correctly) & I thought I felt one earlier today! Must've been you dancing your jig!

So happy to be able to share. I told my daughter, "hey! I have a friend in Australia"! ☺️

@noidea...

Thanks so much! We have been having an unusual amount of earthquakes in Oklahoma (yes, you read that correctly) & I thought I felt one earlier today! Must've been you dancing your jig!

So happy to be able to share. I told my daughter, "hey! I have a friend in Australia"! ☺️

It can't have been me, I've lost 4 kilos!

You certainly do have a friend in Australia xoxo

Archived