Whole30...womp womp

Lady Comer

I completed my Whole30 a couple weeks ago and followed the advised reintroduction and I'm left a little, well, uninspired. I have not lost any weight although I run regularly. I've actually adopted a belly pooch. It was also very difficult to tell if certain foods were causing me a bad temper or I just wasn't seeing positive results from the process. Has anyone else experienced a not so great end to this new beginning? I'm not purposefully trying to be negative. PLEASE SOMEONE give me some wisdom and pointers. Perhaps, I'm missing something. Thanks!

There have been cases where some folks have had less than stellar results on their Whole30 journey.  Could be due to a variety of factors.

First, it would help to get an idea of what your eating (including pre/post workout fuel), daily water consumption, nightly sleep and exercise routine looked like during your Whole30. Can you post 2-3 days worth of your typical food log, including the items above in the Troubleshooting section? Folks here could give you feedback on possible tweaks. 

Did you notice any change in energy levels, sleep, condition of skin or other during your Whole30? How different was Whole30 eating from how you ate prior?

What happened during reintroductions? What did you re-introduce, and did you allow 2 days of 100% Whole30 eating between reintroducing each food group?  Did you notice any physical/psychological impacts?

Eating as follows:

Breakfast: 2 or 3 scrambled eggs with salsa (homemade), 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee

Lunch: 2 baked sweet potatoes with guacamole and salsa, green tea

Dinner: grilled red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, and asparagus with 3 oz of beef, cherries

This is pretty much the staple meal plan I followed, give and take some added sunflower butter and banana if I ran or worked out hard. I'm at a desk job from 8-5 and run 4 miles afterwards. During this process I noticed that I became very in "want" of fruit. I may have overdone fruit intake on some days, but The pooch started to expand from day one. I drink about 2-3 litres of H20 daily. Sleep has been ok.

I did wait two days for whole30 reintroduction periods. I found that although I LOVE beans, they didn't help with the pooch and I felt quite large. During reintroduction It was hard to stay positive because I think I was expecting to just know off the bat what works for me and what doesn't. But that realization never wholly manifested itself. Thanks for your help Chris.

Ok. Looks like you're not eating enough.  :)

When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number you can hold in your hand. For most folks, that's 3-4.

You'd have to eat a lot of salsa to fit the 1-3 cup recommendation per meal. I wonder if raw veggies could be causing your bloat?

No protein at lunch, or was that an oversight in logging?

3 oz of beef is not a lot: remember the recommendation is 1-2 palm sized portions per meal. That's the length, width and thickness of your palm.

And more water consistently too. Aim for at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of current body weight, daily.

Post WO recommendation is protein and carb, no fat or fruit. Sunflower butter is a fat source on a Whole30.

i'm on day 30 today and i've gained 4 inches in my waist.

That big of a jump in waist size points to some problems with digestion. Do you have a log we might review to see if there could be suggestions or tweaks in what you are eating that might help?

Archived