Whole 30 & Mountaineering

I'm hoping to start a Whole 30 soon to heal some health issues,  but I need to figure out a way to complete the multiple shorter alpine climbing trips I have planned this summer while staying Whole-30 compliant. 

I have several climbs planned for the summer through the fall.   Each climb is a 2-3 day self-supported trip involving carrying a 25-45 pound pack for 6-18 hours per day up/down hill w/ some rock climbing/scrambling,  max altitudes ranging from 10,000 to 14,000+ feet.   

I am used to climbing with energy gels, commercial freeze-dried meals, rice, pasta, and CLIF bars.   Since I am a only 5'3/125, I cannot carry very heavy food or bulky - so no 80 calorie packs of baby food or whole fruit , etc.   I need light food that won't freeze solid and will give me quick energy.  I have never heard of any paleo would-be mountaineers, so I'd definitely appreciate some good ideas.

I don't know anything about paleo but your altitudes are in my neck of the woods.  You'll probably need to read the Whole 30 book and go at it intermittently inbetween major climbs.   Your food system is what most climbers use to maintain their energy.  You can't carry heavy items and freeze dried meals are about the only way you can go.   I really don't see how you can do it any other way.  Safety first.

When the climbs are over, maybe you'll have longer blocks of time to maintain the steady pace of 30 days.

Do you own, or have access to, a dehydrator? You could easily make your own dehydrated meals that way. And fat is your most calorie dense nutrient, so you'd go super heavy on the fat in order to increase the calories per gram of the food you take.

Archived