Newbie - night before starting... Any type 1 diabetics out there?

DeeP

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well.

Tommorrow, July 7th is my start date for the whole 30.

I've never done anything like this before, this forum is new to me. I'm hoping to gain some support and helpful wisdom/advice from those who have been where I am and have pushed through and made a change in they're lives.

I'm a 26 year old type 1 diabetic who has been a diabetic for 21 years.

Well controlled, no complications to date (touch wood) but feel like I need to make some serious changes in my life!

I come from a a big italian family I am surrounded by rich foods (which I love) but are not quite so healthy for my body. I find myself being the biggest I have ever been in terms of weight (85kgs) and aknolwedge my unhealthy relationship with food and the patterns I seem to be repeating which lead me to where I am today.

I'm sick of starting over every Monday saying - this week is the week. I'm sure my family/partner are too

Because I start and stop and start again, the decision to embark on this challenge I'm not getting a lot of support. But I am doing this for me. So here I am.

I notice I reward myself with food when I am feeling down or stressed.

I also give into my food cravings very easily.

My biggest challenge with all my diet/attempts to change my lifestyle is the weekends/events where I am out with my family/friends and surrounded my food and the expectation to eat like them.

They often get offended if I don't eat. And I admit, I like the food. I have the choice to say no.

I gues that's just something I'm going to have to live with the next 30 days!

I am READY to make this change. Not just for 30 days. But I am hoping the next 30 days will be the kick start i need for this new way to become a sustaineable lifestyle change. wish me luck.

Any type 1 diabetics out there doing this program?

Please share your experience.

Thank you

Take care all

D

x

• Moderators

It helps to read the book It Starts With Food. When you understand how different foods influence your body and the role of psychology in our eating, it makes all the changes required by the Whole30 so much easier to accept and follow. 

Welcome! I am rooting for you and your success! 

The most important thing you wrote in all of that was this "I have the choice to say no". Truth! Make that your mantra! When responding to people trying to push food on you use the words "No thank you I don't eat that" instead of can't. And if they won't take no for an answer sweetly ask why they are bullying you. Stand up for yourself!

On the emotional eating side I can so relate! This program has helped me a lot in this area. Sit down and make a list of things that make you feel happy and calm that have nothing to do with food. Put that list in places you will see it when you are fighting the emotional eating monster so you have reminders of non food ways to deal.

You can do this and it will be so beneficial to your health!

Thank you both so much.

Physibeth you are so right when you stand up for myself. This is about me, not anyone else and I need to do this for me! I will stay strong.

My first challenge will be this weekends annual home made salami family weekend. Standing my ground.

Thank you for your advice! Day 1 successfully completed :) pretty severe headache to go with it but thats ok.

Keeping my eye on the bigger picture. I can't wait to meet the new me in 30 days. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

God Bless

D

x

Hi, I'm also starting my Whole30 today! I can relate with a lot of what you said. I've been 'starting over on Monday' for 30 years! I did WW once and lost 18 lbs but I now am focusing on my health and not my weight. I have a 26 year old daughter with type 1 diabetes. She has been diabetic since age 12 and I'm really hoping I can inspire her with positive changes in my health as I'm not sure she believes that diet will help. One of her endocrinologists drilled it into her that a carb is a carb and it is so not true. 

Archived