anyone starting July 14?

foxieboxie

Hello all. I've been eyeing (and reading about!) the whole30 for a fee months now, and am going to take the plunge next week. I have serious sugar addictions and emotional eating issues, and need to drop about 30 lbs.

I'm planning to start July 14...giving me a bit of time to prepare.

Also -- any advice for trying to get significant others on board? Mine eats terribly...while I am not perfect, he would eat frozen pizza and box Mac and cheese for every meal if he could!

Hi Foxie..I Feel as we have some similar struggles. I am starting my journey tomorrow (kind of rouge for the first 30 days, but then a true whole 30 in August). I recently got married (2 weeks ago) and am worried about my husbands food choices around me. Luckily, I do the grocery shopping and intend on including him in on my meals. Hes pretty thin and can live on pasta, pizza and chicken wings without gaining an ounce! Hes not super thrilled about being on board, but I know when he has some of the dishes that I prepare it wont be that bad. He can still have his "hunk" food when either hes out and about or I am not at home.

Hi Ladies!  I am on day 29, so I thought I'd pop in and give you some encouragement!

My husband actually convinced ME to do Whole 30. I did not want to do it. He only asked me because he knew I really needed it :)

It is TREMENDOUSLY easier if your spouse will eat the same food when you're together. (And then you have to realize that it's none of your business what he does with food when you're not around  :) )

Sugar, for me, is like crack. I was OUT OF CONTROL. I was very afraid of those first few days, but neither of us had too many problems. I little headachey, a little tired. But by the end of week 2, you really start feeling good!

Here's a timeline of what to expect: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I found this helpful.

I think the key here is that this food can be out of this world DELICIOUS. I got the cookbooks from Nom Nom Paleo and just bought Well Fed. I'll include links to two favorite recipes:

Pistachio Pesto Chicken Pasta: paleomg.com/pistachio-pesto-chicken-pasta

Eggpant "Riccotta" Stacks: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/eggplant-ricotta-stacks-from-nom-nom-paleo.html

I would recommend whipping up some home made mayo and salad dressings to keep on hand, and strain some butter to make clarified butter (or ghee).

Planning ahead is the toughest part. It gets easier, I promise!  

I'm no expert, but if there is anything I can help you with, let me know!

I'm planning to start my W30 on July 14th also! :) I've been pretty strict Paleo since Sept. 2013, but have gotten a little "comfortable" and need a reset or jump-start to refocus myself on my health journey - which actually began on July 14, 2013. Since that day, I have lost 43 lbs and have gotten so much healthier and stronger. I need to let go of my honey as sugar habit in my coffee and tea and I need to snack better instead of relying on nuts. I want to up my veg intake, too. I've also been lax on allowing corn (organic only) in the form of the occasional corn tortilla, tortilla chips and popcorn. So, generally, I see my W30 as a tune-up.

Regarding the spouse, when I started Paleo my husband wasn't exactly onboard, but he didn't mind because he likes meat and veggies. He continued to eat grains, but I didn't make things using grains, so his intake slowed. Finally, after complaining of joint pain and a nagging sore ankle most of the winter, I told him to give up grains for three weeks and see if it helped his inflammation. Now he's a convert :) His diet is not perfect, but it hasn't been that difficult for me to do my thing alongside his semi-poor eating habits. Slowly, by osmosis, he's gotten (almost) onboard.

Having already taken the Paleo plunge, I can tell you that it will be hard, but it will be so worth it. I'm familiar with cooking and eating (and living a normal life) in this fashion, so please let me know if you have questions along the way. Go 7/14 team!

I'm planning to start my W30 on July 14th also! :) I've been pretty strict Paleo since Sept. 2013, but have gotten a little "comfortable" and need a reset or jump-start to refocus myself on my health journey - which actually began on July 14, 2013. Since that day, I have lost 43 lbs and have gotten so much healthier and stronger. I need to let go of my honey as sugar habit in my coffee and tea and I need to snack better instead of relying on nuts. I want to up my veg intake, too. I've also been lax on allowing corn (organic only) in the form of the occasional corn tortilla, tortilla chips and popcorn. So, generally, I see my W30 as a tune-up.

Regarding the spouse, when I started Paleo my husband wasn't exactly onboard, but he didn't mind because he likes meat and veggies. He continued to eat grains, but I didn't make things using grains, so his intake slowed. Finally, after complaining of joint pain and a nagging sore ankle most of the winter, I told him to give up grains for three weeks and see if it helped his inflammation. Now he's a convert :) His diet is not perfect, but it hasn't been that difficult for me to do my thing alongside his semi-poor eating habits. Slowly, by osmosis, he's gotten (almost) onboard.

Having already taken the Paleo plunge, I can tell you that it will be hard, but it will be so worth it. I'm familiar with cooking and eating (and living a normal life) in this fashion, so please let me know if you have questions along the way. Go 7/14 team!

Betsie,

Whats the best advice you can give for eating out? I am out of town these next 3 weekends. I was excited to see the Chipotle can be accommodating and plan to go there tomorrow for lunch! 

Betsie,

Whats the best advice you can give for eating out? I am out of town these next 3 weekends. I was excited to see the Chipotle can be accommodating and plan to go there tomorrow for lunch! 

Angela - keep it simple! I find it's not as hard as it sounds. Order salads with olive oil and vinegar or lemon/lime and olive oil as a dressing and ask them to leave out the bad stuff like croutons, fried onions, etc. If you can make a meal of the salad, do it. Add grilled protein, avocado, etc.  Grilled meat or seafood is my go-to option - just watch for weird sauces they might add and ask them to leave those off. If it comes with rice or other non-W30 sides, ask if you can have roasted or steamed veggies (hold the butter) or extra salad instead. I have resorted to a burger with no bun when I had limited options - just don't do fast food, if humanly possible. I just say I'm allergic if I get weird looks when I'm asking for changes to the menu. Most are very accomodating and seem to be used to people with food sensitivities these days. If you can review menus online beforehand it's helpful so you can prepare yourself for the options available and start to think about any changes you'll need to request.

While I've been Paleo vs W30, which is stricter, I have traveled quite a bit - even to Vegas twice - and while I haven't been perfect, I've been able to do very well. Plan ahead and pack along healthy snacks if possible, so you aren't tempted to eat bad convenience foods. I try to avoid chain restaurants and eat at local places becuase they're more likely to prepare fresh food and use less preservatives. Google "farm to table" restaurants in the area, if you have a choice in where you eat. I have never had Chipotle, so I can't say personally how it is. Just don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for changes - it's uncomfortable for some, but your health is worth it. Good luck! :)

Hi all! I am starting the whole30 on July 14th too! I'm excited, but I've only done "gluten free" for about 3 weeks before I failed during the springtime holidays, so I am hoping I can hold out longer since it's summer I hope I can not eat ice cream cones and really stick to it this time! I'm moving into my own place so I feel like this is the right time to start! Good luck fellow 7/14 starters! We got this!

The key is in the planning. Do you know what you're going to eat, along with what you're not going to eat, starting next week? I've been Paleo for awhile, but I'm tuning up my diet with the W30 and trying to improve my overall nutrition, so I've been writing menu plans for next week and I'll shop over the weekend and do some pre-cooking so I don't revert to 'easy' or off limits foods due to lack of preparation.

You're right - we got this! :)

Hi all! I am starting the whole30 on July 14th too! I'm excited, but I've only done "gluten free" for about 3 weeks before I failed during the springtime holidays, so I am hoping I can hold out longer since it's summer I hope I can not eat ice cream cones and really stick to it this time! I'm moving into my own place so I feel like this is the right time to start! Good luck fellow 7/14 starters! We got this!

Made it to day 7! How is everyone doing? Thankfully I was able to dodge a minefield of snacks and booze on Saturday no problem thanks to my sparkling water, carrots and guacamole , phew. When they put cake, pie and babka out for dessert I almost lost it and ran into the forest, lol.

So now here we are, who's with me??

Archived