Whole in OR

WholeinOR

Hello, nice to meet you (curtsey), I'm Jerri and writing for an audience of 1, but if you want to read along, I'll try to crack enough jokes or share some decent recepies.

I'm on day 11 of my Whole30.  2 years ago I made a cross country move and was able to lose 40 lbs with WW.  I landed back in my home state a mere 6 months ago and have packed 1/2 of that back on.  More friends, more parties, more wine, a 40th birthday and well, not thrilled with the results.

I needed something to help reform the habits and maybe (as a bonus) help with my inflammation issues.  I've had several friends who have raved about the Whole30 and here I am.

I've only broken 1 rule, I've weighed myself twice.  I needed motivation to keep going-and it worked.  So I don't really feel guilty about it.

I am not known for self control or discipline, but I will say the most helpful thing that passes through my mind each day is that 'this is not hard'.  It is a choice.  A different choice, a new choice, but it is not hard. I can do things that are easy and choices. 

I'm looking forward to doing a lot of cooking and experimenting this weekend with some new choices-made my own clarfied butter last night.  Cooked my eggs in it this AM.  Heaven.

Day 11:

B-Clarified butter fried eggs over breakfast salad dressed with olive oil and rice wine vinegar

L-Leftover spicy slaw (hot sauce mixed with Olive oil mayo tossed with red & green sliced cabbage) and diced cucumbers in a wasabi vinegarette (wasabi & rice vinegar).

D-Hamburger, sweet potato fries and some undetermined veggies & fat source

I am going to our work summer outing which is a baseball game, so I'm eating at home first so nothing will be tempting!

A tough afternoon yesterday with a tough reaction to the salmon I had for lunch.  And it was the 3rd time in a row, but also the same filet of salmon-so I'll be paying close attention to that.  

Of all the foods I am no longer eating, the one I really want now is potatoes.  This has been going on for a few days now and trying to figure out WHY I so desperately want them (besides the fact that 30 lbs is sitting in the ground waiting for me to harvest).

Today's plan isn't formed, as my goal for today is to have the entire week planned.

B-poached eggs, panchetta & zucchini cakes, all cooked in enough clarified butter to get my fat source and make it extra delicious.

Today was delicious. 

B: zucchini hash (almond meal, shredded zucchini, onion fried in clarified butter), salad, poached egg, ground pork patties

L: two eggs, walnuts, sweet potato, puree of cauliflower (leftovers)

D: Ribs, baked green beans and baby kale chips w/apple sauce and avocado.

I think my fat content is a little low, so tried to step in up tonight.  I've been feeling 'snacky' today, so hopefully that will go away tomorrow with enough fat in my meals.

Your protein at your 2nd meal looks rather low to me so that might be why you are feeling snacky. When eggs are your only source of protein (nuts are fat) you need to eat as many as you can hold whole in your hand without dropping them. I have very small hands and usually eat 4.

Thanks Physibeth! That's a LOT of eggs!  I've never done that test-so I'll have to give it a try.  I chose eggs because I had come back from a bike ride so I wanted easily digestible protein.  I didn't really 'workout', but apparently it wasn't enough.

So, the only food I really miss is potatoes.  And I miss them in all forms-mashed, french fried, hash browns, chips.  So I looked up some recipes for Paleo french fries.  They were made out of jicama and weren't too shabby and I think at least helped for now.  I had a bad spell this afternoon where I spent at least 90 minutes thinking about potato chips and a diet coke.  But I'm very happy with my Whole 30 results so far, planned something that would satisfy me and grabbed an ice tea and was on my merry way.

Breakfast: Salad with cashews, proscuitto, cherries, avocado & topped with eggs

Lunch: Bologense (made with beef & pork) over zucchini 'noodles' topped with nutritional yeast (ate some cherries and nuts for the fat source)

Dinner: chicken wings with jicama fries & paleo 'ranch' (Olive oil mayo w/coconut milk, dill, onion & garlic powder)

Can't believe I just finished day 13!

Halfway.  Struggling with motivation today, mostly because I'm bored with my food and really tired of eating meat (I ate vegetarian/vegan 75% of the time prior to whole 30).  Yesterday I received some bacon from someone who processed the pig themselves, so that was delightful.

So tonight I'm going to plan the rest of the week instead of hanging out in 97 degree weather.

But almost halfway.  And even though I'm struggling with motivation, there isn't really anything I'm craving, so that makes it easier!  Normally after a tough day I'd want pizza and wine which I don't feel compelled to have.  That said, I don't feel compelled for anything, so I'm not sure what that says. 

So, the only food I really miss is potatoes.  And I miss them in all forms-mashed, french fried, hash browns, chips.  So I looked up some recipes for Paleo french fries.  They were made out of jicama and weren't too shabby and I think at least helped for now.  I had a bad spell this afternoon where I spent at least 90 minutes thinking about potato chips and a diet coke.  But I'm very happy with my Whole 30 results so far, planned something that would satisfy me and grabbed an ice tea and was on my merry way.

Good news!  W30 just added potatoes back into the line up of allowable foods! 

Potatoes: Yes!

We changed the official Whole30 rules in August 2014 to include all varieties of potatoes—white, red, Yukon gold, purple, fingerling, baby, sweet potatoes, yams, etc. Feel free to boil, bake, roast, pan-fry, grill, microwave, or steam them, but no commercially prepared or deep-fried potato chips or French fries. (That’s completely against the spirit of the Whole30.)

Tip: White potatoes pack a whole lot of energy into a relatively small package. If you’re overweight, insulin-resistant or otherwise metabolically challenged, and not very active, you don’t need a lot of extra energy on your daily plate. If this is your context, use white potatoes sparingly in your Whole30 meal plan, if at all. Plus, if you eat mashed potatoes with every dinner, you’ll miss out on a world of colorful, nutrient-dense vegetables to explore. Bust out of your potato rut and discover a newfound love of Brussels sprouts, asparagus, or kale!

Doesn't that just make life a little more enjoyable?  :)

• 1 year later...

I only made it through day 15 of my last whole 30 before I lost all interest in food.  After reading the timeline for my 2nd attempt, just realized it hit a week early.

Whole30 #2 (or really #1) is so much easier than Whole 30 #1, primarily because of potatoes.  I don't eat them every day or even very large quantities, but it is just enough of whatever to completely change my experience.

I'm currently on day 9 and I'm beginning to notice my appetite decreasing.  I've been eating pretty hefty portions (no snacking however), and feeling like I could easily cut back 25%.  I don't see any downside to this, anyone have any thoughts?

Day 11: checking in.  Yesterday was my toughest day.  I was in a massive need of a chiropractic adjustment which did the trick, but not without my mind torturing me to quit.  I had a minor slip, I ate about 1/2 ounce of commercially prepared potato chips, the rest sitting on top of my fridge ready to give away.  Since I'm not in this for the testing of inflammation, I still consider that on track.  I also didn't eat enough protein or fat in the morning.  DID NOT HELP.

Made chicken salad for the first time ever last night for today's lunch.  So delicious, I'm going to scoop it up with sugar snap peas.  Can't wait.

The weekend will be a challenge, I'm traveling and involved in activities, but plan to take a cooler with my food.  I have access to a microwave and an induction burner, so once I make the food tonight, I'll be all set.

Archived