Lunches on the go

SimoneB

I have a question; I am just starting my third Whole30 but I struggle with the lunches when I am on the go. I am doing it together with my husband and while our first whole30 was a succes, the second one was a complete failure..

The problem seems to be the lunches. I can manage breakfast but it becomes a different story when I need to create a lunch on the go.

My husband hates taking a salad with him and baking muffins is not an option.. So does anyone have any suggestions for this? I work irregular hours and am a little more flexible for lunch but I've also had the occassional situation where I had to buy something on the road and that meant; virtually nothing, other than an apple.. ;)

Suggestions for take away lunches are very welcome!

I pack my lunch every day and the easiest thing to do is bring left overs from last night's dinner (I'll even make extra to make sure I have left overs!).  If you don't have access to a microwave maybe make up some egg, tuna or chicken salad to bring with you and eat wrapped in lettuce leaves or with carot or jicama sticks.  Hope that helps :)

I have several of these: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-King-16-Ounce-Midnight/dp/B0017IFSIS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1405358971&sr=8-4&keywords=thermos

They are fantastic and keep food hot for 7+ hours (I've tested this). I stuff all kinds of weird things in there that you wouldn't automatically want to put in this shape container.

Like Sara said, I pack my (and my kids, since I have them all day) lunch to go just about every day, even if we wind up just coming home to eat. I am so on-the-fly, that I just have to always assume we're going to be out even if we didn't plan to be. I almost always have leftovers of some sort because I intentionally double recipes for leftovers. Sometimes, I will flat out spend three hours just cooking as much food as I can, then freeze or can stuff. The trick is to try to never run out of at least a jar of chili you can pull out, or leftover dinner. 

But, the last resort is a can of tuna in olive oil or salmon and a can of olives. That's true survival food. I keep these in my purse at all times. Ha, my kids think it is some kind of holiday when mom pulls out the tuna and olives at the park. I just think, "boy I wish I had remembered to pack lunch!"  :)

I'm new to this but I am finding that boiled eggs (preshelled & stored in the fridge) + cut up veggies + olives/coconut/cashews/avocado (fat)and some kind of fruit is pretty quick & portable. When you say 'on-the-go', I assume you mean without access to a microwave. I don't like olives yet but am hoping as my taste buds change (reawaken?), I will. If you've got some kind of compliant lunch meat - that plus sliced raw veggies is quick & easy. I have been making things up a few nights in advance & storing in plastic containers so all I have to do in the morning is literaly grab them and go.

Ah thanks so much for these great suggestions! Love the idea of making lots of extra's and just either freezing them or having them ready to go. Sounds like a perfect plan for us too. And that thermos would be brilliant for something like a soup to take!

And Clabbergirl; I never liked olives but at some point, magically, I did... Never understood how that happened but it did! ;)

Archived