Only day 9...

jnaber27

This is my very first Whole30, I am on day 9, and am already struggling with severe loss of appetite. I am curious as to how normal it is to feel this turned off by the thought of eating this early in the game. The thought of meal times has become nauseating and I don't even have cravings non-compliant foods...absolutely nothing sounds good. I figured I was just getting bored of what I was eating, but I feel like this reaction is a little extreme. This is also overwhelming for me because I have never ever been like this with meals, regardless of how repetitive they are. I have always had a huge appetite and never had a problem eating the same things over and over.

I have been doing crossfit 4 times a week and try to stay fairly active and I want to make sure I am getting enough food as to not cause my body harm. I also wanted to make sure that I am consuming the appropriate things at the appropriate times for my pre and post workouts. For post workouts, the template says 15-30 min post, but a moderator on another post said there is a strict 10-20 min window after and then said 15-20 min on a different post....so maybe a little clarity with that too! I am trying to follow the template but would appreciate some feedback from some seasoned veterans :)

• Moderators

My husband went through the same thing, he was very sugar dependent. Are you eating enough fat? Don't skimp! Your body is trying to switch over and it needs fat for fuel.

If you're crossfitting, make sure you eat starchy veggies like beets, sweet potatoes, winter squash. The sooner you can ingest protein and starchy veggies post-workout, the better they are absorbed so try to consume it within 30 minutes.

Get yourself a new cookbook for inspiration. Well Fed, Well Fed 2 and both NomNomPaleo's ipad app and Food for Humans cookbook are perfect for this. Lots of quick & simple recipes, some great tips, some fancier recipes.

Does cooking fat count as fat for the meal? I use a pretty fair amount of olive oil/coconut oil when I cook. An example of a breakfast for me = 3 eggs, spinach, kale, and sweet potato--all cooked/baked in olive oil. I figured the eggs and the cooking oil would count as the fat.

Honestly, that is probably the only fats I really use in my meals. Sometimes I will have a small handful of either cashews or almonds but generally I just count the cooking oils as fats. I am coming into this with a VERY long history of calorie counting/measuring and the transition has been pretty awkward for me.

I know I am eating enough at meal times because I do not get hungry again until 5 hours after the last meal...this is a brand new thing for me considering I would get hunger 2-3 hours after eating a meal before I started this program. My energy levels are fine, no more tired than I usually am (working college student so being exhausted is the norm for me!), and I don't feel like my athletic performance is suffering at all. I have been eating chicken and sweet potato within 30 minutes post workout, so I am glad to know I am doing the right thing!

I will definitely look into those books and that app! Thank you so much for the response!

• Moderators

Cooking oil/fat tends to be absorbed into eggs when you cook, but very little cooking oil goes into your stomach with other cooking situations. So, your breakfast is probably fine, but you may need more fat at other meals, especially if you are eating a lean protein like chicken breast. However, if you are not getting hungry between meals, I am not too worried about what you are doing.

10-15-20-30.... there is a small window after completing a workout when your body is especially ready to benefit from eating lean protein. Do what you can. 

Loss of appetite is completely foreign to me, so I can't help you with that. :)

Archived