Is a banana carb hit a bad choice in early days of shakey weak feeling?

Hi all,

I'm on day three, felt great first two days, but woke up this morning (after breastfeeding numerous times over night) really shaky and weak feeling. I gobbled a banana (before breakfast later of boiled eggs), and felt better pretty soon. Just wondering if reaching for quick carb fix, such as banana or sweet potato, is prolonging the pain of body readjustment, or a sensible thing to do considering I need a lot of fuel for breastfeeding a one year old? Advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Catie.

I would do a google search "whole30 breast feeding" you will gets tons of tips. I know that most breastfeeding moms eat a minimum of 4 meals a day. Some sip on coconut milk during the day. I think if you need a carb fix go for it. You also might want to increase your portions for your meals. Maybe eat at the top of the meal planning template. Good luck!

• Moderators

The banana was fine. 

Waking up shaky and weak suggests you did not eat enough the day before. Especially while breast feeding, you have to eat plenty and include starchy veggies, protein, and fat. 

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am eating sufficient portions I think, but had dinner unusually early, so that most likely explains the shaking. I just wanted to double check that keeping my (good) carbs up was fine, as I don't want to prolong my body's transition from obtaining energy predominantly from quick carbs to the fats and proteins. Thanks again for the help.

Archived