August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

I hear you AJ! Love this.

I am adding Cross fit into my program next week and I have to share with you while I am excited I am more nervous. I have to put that out there because I am afraid I will not go. I just turned 50 and am a big woman - true, I am very athletic but the extra 50 pounds I carry on my body makes me nervous about the activities. My real struggle is fear - fear of people talking about me in the gym and fear that they are laughing at me behind my back. Seriously, I know if is silly that a grown 50 year old woman would feel this way, but I have to tell you it took me a really long time to even jog on the street with this fear. So I put it out there and am hopeful it will be a good fit for me.

Thank you for all of your ideas and inspiration!

I know the feeling exactly. I almost didn't try for PTA school because of the fear. I have social anxiety, which I can handle most days. Once I have a friend at an activity I feel much better. I still feel like people laugh behind my back constantly. I know this is in my head, but it is there nonetheless. I was running last year (prior to some physical setbacks) and went past a group of teens. One girl started making fun of me immediately. I am a size 14--so not small, yet not really big in reality--but I carry a lot of extra skin from when I was 330+ lbs. I had my headphones in and acted like I couldn't hear her. The boost was a guy in the group said something along the lines of, 'At least she's doing it. I would like to see you run that far.' That was the day I managed 1 mile. It was huge for me. I was scared to give any recognition for fear the same person that spoke up on my behalf--a kid who didn't know me from Adam--would change his tune and laugh. It is something I struggle with daily.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, today started well I got up on time, did what I wanted to do, and even had time to jump on FB. That's when the shoe dropped. A high school classmate lost her 11 year old girl a little after midnight this morning. Erin, the girl, had been sick for some time. Just yesterday her scans looked a little better, and she had not gotten worse. When in a med coma in the ICU, not worse is a good thing. I did what I intended to do today, and was able to keep my mind off her. When I came home, I jumped on FB to see what happened in the world of my friends, and found out my husband's cousin has succumb to her cancer at about the same time as Erin passed. There are two more people pain free today, but so many more feeling loss and grieving. Please pray for both families for me.

Still doing well, on my part, but when I went to hubby's car to get the Le Croix out, I found brownies from Walmart. I wanted to scream! He said he got them before the 1st, but also said he had one yesterday. Well, looks like we are doing a W60 in my house...yeah, could be a W45, but why not go all the way through Sept? I have to figure out something for Sept 8 though. Required pot luck lunch at school. I am thinking babaganoosh and crudites as I suggested for another potluck, and then take a protein with me. I may take a paleo pac (we ordered some for after hockey) and a baby food smoothie (ex Plum Organic that Dallas and Melissa mentioned in a recent newsletter) in case I can't get enough compliant food. I will just have to make it work, I guess.

Hope everyone did well today. I am not too terribly tired all things considered. Wish me luck in my game tonight. I would like to finally win a game.

I am sad -  I broke my Whole30 today.   Really bad dizzy reaction at a workout today and a fellow participant (I think a nurse) thought it was low blood sugar and encouraged glucose tabs-   I took 3 (12 grams of sugar) and did feel better quickly.   Felt even better after a whole 30 compliant dinner.   

I asked for help on better strategy for next time in the whole 30 for athletes forum.   On to day 1 tomorrow.           

Sorry to hear that jump4life but understandable circumstances. Do you think it was low blood sugar? Have you posted a food log somewhere for a mod to look at? I hope you get it sorted. When I came to paleo originally I was getting what sounds like similar episodes once every couple of weeks, so I know how scary they can be

Sorry jump4life... Maybe you weren't eating enough food. Did you eat before your workout? I noticed my blood sugar going up and down since I have started whole30. I remember I was out shopping and thought I would pass out so I had a couple of sips from some carrot juice and felt a little better. Got home and took my blood sugar and it was a high 200. Couldn't understand that one. Please be careful....

Got some great pointers today from a moderator physibeth.  

I have not been doing an extra post work out meal (easy protein and starchy carb)  and so likely depleted my muscle glycogen over the last two weeks.   The result =  low blood sugar and crash during my workout.  So now I am armed with the solution to start over today!!    I am also going to actually do a Whole30 Log of my food this time, so easier to get moderator input if I need correction/advice.   Are any of you doing this?  I actually kind of missed this part too...  more good learning to help with this time!  

Good luck to  all of you as you start your day 15!   I know you can do this and I will stop by every so often to see your progress.  I hope Tiger Blood is just around the corner for you!    

I am adding Cross fit into my program next week and I have to share with you while I am excited I am more nervous. I have to put that out there because I am afraid I will not go. I just turned 50 and am a big woman - true, I am very athletic but the extra 50 pounds I carry on my body makes me nervous about the activities. 

socrkx-  you go for it!!   I am 48 and,  while I am losing weight steadily,  I still carry at least 40 extra pounds.  I have been doing high intensity exercise for about 18 months (not a Crossfit box but similar concept)   You can do this and it will soon be addictive-  you will love the power you feel as you attempt,  and master,  the great ways your body can move.    And I bet you get much more encouragement and positive feedback from the other members of the box than anything negative and that your progress will in turn inspire them! 

Just a word of caution (from my recent experience) -   If you havent already please prepare by reading  the parts of the book about active people and using post work out meals......  no crashes in your future!       

Well, as expected we lost last night. The other team really clicked well and is actually a better team. They had a sub goalie who is better than the normal one. No one knew he was as good as he is for a starting goalie. On my part, I turned onto a sieve with the biggest freaking holes that can be found. I was very frustrated with my performance, especially the last goal as it was all on me. 

I didn't end up eating a meal 3 yesterday. I was still too full from eating a late lunch--which was the result of my pouch not playing nice. I munched a couple pieces of chicken before we left, then took my post hockey--too late to really eat foods (organic baby food pouch--winter squash and fruit--and a meat bar--lamb) which are compliant but not ideal. I was actually hungry, so I ate both even though I didn't expect to while packing them. 

Today, I am moving slowly...too slowly. Going to grab a handful of something before I have to leave the house for an apt. I will likely eat a slightly early lunch before going to another appointment. I don't have a plan today, and I have the feeling that is going to be bad. The good news is I have plenty of food to grab from. Today is a "leftovers" day, all day. 

I best be moving. Have to leave in 30 minutes anyway. 

Have a great day!

I wouldn't mind you adding Rena Jo (Pruitt) ? I will have to get her married last name. She passed away this morning after a lng battle with cancer. She is my husband's cousin. 

You got it. Thank you JennP. I am sorry for your loss.

socrkx-  you go for it!!   I am 48 and,  while I am losing weight steadily,  I still carry at least 40 extra pounds.  I have been doing high intensity exercise for about 18 months (not a Crossfit box but similar concept)   You can do this and it will soon be addictive-  you will love the power you feel as you attempt,  and master,  the great ways your body can move.    And I bet you get much more encouragement and positive feedback from the other members of the box than anything negative and that your progress will in turn inspire them! 

Just a word of caution (from my recent experience) -   If you havent already please prepare by reading  the parts of the book about active people and using post work out meals......  no crashes in your future!       

socrkx,

The concept I appreciate about CrossFit the most is scalability. My edge of intensity is specific to me and that is the baseline I work with in order to know, if I am pushing too hard or too fast. As long as I keep moving moderately I am good. Any good on ramp program and coach will scale to your abilitity which will give you space to recognize when to you need to stop. Starting slowly is the best thing I have done for myself and I encourage you to do the same. I rowed first before I ran to minimize impact on my body. I ran once some of the fat % dropped and my legs got stronger. You can do it! Have fun and enjoy yourself.

A.J.

August 15...Day 19 for me (I started a few days before everyone else, but wanted to join this thread...)

Tue, Wed, and Thu this week I was on the road, business travel.  It went ok.  I was armed with homemade beef jerky, LaraBars, and nuts...and it was a darned good thing!

Tuesday (8/12, day 16) Got up and had breakfast at home then had to head to the airport

Breakfast:  3 eggs

Lunch:  2 Nick's sticks, LaraBar

Dinner:  steak, mixed steamed veggies (room service.  What is so hard to understand about "no fries, no sauce on the steak.  Ok, so they put the sauce on the plate...not on the steak.  Maybe I wasn't specific enough)

Wednesday (8/13, day 17)

Breakfast:  3 eggs, 1/2 cup berries (room service again.  Same question - what is so difficult to understand about "no hash browns, no bread, no sausage or bacon?)  You ask them to leave it off, and there it is on the plate when they deliver.  Oh well.   I guess 3 lonely eggs does not a room service breakfast make...  :huh:  I ate the eggs and fruit.

Lunch:  catered lunch.  sandwiches.  Thank heavens I had my homemade beef jerky.  There was a bowl of sliced melon, so I was able to have some fruit with my homemade beef jerky lunch.   B) )

Snack (when everyone else was eating cookies!):  LaraBar, beef jerky

Dinner:  Of course, they picked an Italian restaurant.  Hahaha!  I had some olives as an appetizer, and ordered grilled salmon with baby potatoes, carrots and artichoke hearts sauteed in olive oil.  And sat and watched everyone eat their tiramisu, molten lava cake, and salted caramel custard desserts.  Curses, you sugar addiction, but you didn't beat me!

Thursday (8/14, day 18)

Another day on airplanes.  Early flight, so no room service breakfast...shucky darns!!!

Breakfast:  beef jerky and black coffee (a surprisingly good cup of coffee, at that!)

Lunch:  the last of the homemade beef jerky!  plus a handful of cashews and an apple

Dinner:  turkey cutlets, paleo/compliant yellow squash casserole

Friday (8/15, day 19)

Breakfast:  3 eggs, handful of grapes

Lunch:  leftover yellow squash casserole with some ground beef mixed in

Dinner:  Not sure yet, but maybe the same thing as lunch.  Not really hungry, so I might not eat.  It's already 7 pm...

I am thankful for several things, but the ones realted to this trip that really stick in my mind are:

1. My feet and ankles usually swell HORRIBLY (and ache like crazy because of it) when I have to fly.  They barely swelled at all this trip
  2. The weather was beautiful, and I got up both mornings (Wed and Thu) to walk the same distance as I usually walk the dogs in the morning.  Dogs didn't get a walk (DH doesn't walk if I"m not there either!) but I did and I'm sure it helped keep me on track.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

I think I am giving up on trying to eat when my hubby eats. Today he didn't get home until 8 and went straight to organizing what he had done that day to file reports. I was dealing with my blasted phone again, and he got to talk to them about his. Hopefully this technician has us sorted. By the time we got done everything we were doing, and had a discussion about equipment I need to replace if I am going to get any better, it was 9:30. He was too tired to eat, and went to bed. I didn't want a full meal, so I munched on some carrots, celery, cucumber, nuts, tahini and raisins. Not the best combo, but better than answering the chuck-it-all call and going for the dark chocolate in the cabinet and drizzling it with local unfiltered organic honey. Maybe I shouldn't have typed that...I am wanting it more now. Oh well, vitamins and bed for me.

Night all--see you in day 16.  

Day 15.

dd  sdwwwwaqVGB

My daughter got on her tippy toes and pressed on the keyboard, right before bath time. Sweetest smile on her face as she did it. The end to a fierce week of working, work being just a mess, and home being just as challenging. The best I can do at the moment is exhale and go to sleep soon.

Food going into the weekend, I work weekends is not prepped nor planned at the moment. I may go to some quick ground beef already defrosted and rock some taco salads, pork chops for breakfast, and work with a whole bunch of raw carrots. Just even writing this to all of you as I check in is incredibly helpful. I can do it. My paleo journal is consistent and my best friend. 

I have eaten out three nights this week all out of late work needs and all nights I have eaten clean. Not ideal for my budget but I really do not want to do this detox again. The ups and downs that I am experiencing are unconscious to me but evident among those I interact with daily. They say things like "you look tired", "get some coffee", and I have been told my tone of voice is not the same. Sometimes my inner voice pokes its head out and I recognize it.

Owning my detox and all of it's ramifications is a real place. All I can do to keep internal balance is to continue to lift barbells, recover properly, sleep, and have fun with my daughter. Before I knew it I worked out all week and I am looking forward to these next days off.

On Sunday I am attending a women's weightlifting clinic and I am grateful to have the opportunity to attend. As a result of eating clean I am however excelling in the workouts I am doing and it feeds my fight to stay strict. Overall I feel good and I know it will get better if I stick it out.

Keep posting so freely. I try to read as many as I can throughout the day but I have only been able to get to a few. Thank you for the encouragement and the authenticity. Half way hump and I can't be more excited to sleep eight hours. Goodnight.

Day 16 Update:

Sleep is the ultimate challenge. Bedtime at 8:30 p.m., but woke up at 12 midnight, then for work at 4:00 a.m.. The time between 12 midnight and 4 a.m. I stayed awake but lateral. Exhale. :o

Physical changes that I noticed this morning:

• work boots fit looser
  • the swelling in my anklesis going down  (due to work boots and long hours on my feet/sitting) 
  • waking up is easier, despite not sleeping through the night
  • consistently craving breakfast by 6:30 a.m. after reducing coffee intake to 1 cup prior to food in the a.m.
  • belt loop moved on notch
  • headaches are not present
  • soreness in joints not present
  • recovery from WOD's are faster
  • sinus drainage in the morning reducing significantly

The ever elusive REM sleep will come when it comes. Listing the progress report midway through the 30 days is key for staying positive and solution seeking. I am eating clean despite not cooking yesterday but definitely need to food WOD after work today. Saturday's creativity.

Have a great day.

A.J.

Sounds like you're coming right along AJ!  Great job.  My sleep has gotten better, but I still have the achey joints.  But, my headaches and sinus drainage are mostly gone also - and I think I'm noticing that my hands and wrists ache more than I used to because the ever-present headaches don't plague me anymore!  It's funny though - now when I suddenly get a sniffly nose, I wonder - what did I eat that may have caused that?   :wacko:   Used to be I'd blame it on pollen.  

Sounds like you're coming right along AJ!  Great job.  My sleep has gotten better, but I still have the achey joints.  But, my headaches and sinus drainage are mostly gone also - and I think I'm noticing that my hands and wrists ache more than I used to because the ever-present headaches don't plague me anymore!  It's funny though - now when I suddenly get a sniffly nose, I wonder - what did I eat that may have caused that?   :wacko:   Used to be I'd blame it on pollen.  

Thanks sister!

Positive effects so far? I'm back to pre whole30 levels of tiredness, still slight digestive issues. I'm fairly sure I've shrunk in certain lady-specific areas, but starting to get the energy, if not the drive, to work out again. And to top it all off, I'm craving cauliflower.

I'm aiming for a whole45, I obviously have a lot of healing to do.

Today started fairly well. I went ahead and slept until 8AM. I got up, got ready and headed out the door to the farmer's market. Picked up the majority of my veggies for the week. I did get some red potatoes to give a try. I tried some before, but felt bloated after. If I feel the same this time, white potatoes aren't for me. I don't miss them actually, but from time to time they would be nice. 

Hubby and I spent ALL DAY cleaning out the garage. We worked pretty much 12 hours straight. His pedometer (health miles for work) registered 7.8 miles walked today. I was actually working before he was, and am fairly certain, despite having to take more breaks as the day wore on, I walked just as much as he did, possibly even more. My feet are killing me, I managed to put too much stress on my right knee (either pushing against a box to keep it from falling, or lifting something I should have let Bruce lift. I was pretty good about getting him to move the totes of books. I know I am not strong enough for those as they are loaded with hardback books. I did manage to have a broken lamp fall over and smack me in the back pretty much first thing. It was an old floor lamp we used while painting, and the bottom had finally given way. I moved some spare drywall an it came down. I have a nice skinned area now. 

On the plus side, we got rid of cabinets I have been wanting to remove since we bought the house 11 years ago. These are still several plastic totes I need to go thought--and probably trash the majority of what is in them--but there was not time tonight. We did put them together and where we can get to them later. We also have a section of yard sale items. Planning to have that in early Oct. If it doesn't sell, it will be trashed or go to a charity shop, depending what it is. Once that area is cleaned out, we will actually be able to get a vehicle into the garage. We will even have a better place for our motorcycle. Things do look much better, and I am exhausted. My body kept trying to shut down on me, but I had to keep pushing. Tomorrow is not a day I can rest either. 

I actually didn't eat much today. I did have 3 meals, and breakfast was the largest. I just couldn't eat much when I stopped to eat. I was hungry, but just a few bites and I was not  feeling well. I just slowed down and took my time, but I know I didn't eat nearly enough in reality.

Sleep tight everyone. Day 17 is just a few short hours away.

Today started fairly well. I went ahead and slept until 8AM. I got up, got ready and headed out the door to the farmer's market. Picked up the majority of my veggies for the week. I did get some red potatoes to give a try. I tried some before, but felt bloated after. If I feel the same this time, white potatoes aren't for me. I don't miss them actually, but from time to time they would be nice. 

Hubby and I spent ALL DAY cleaning out the garage. We worked pretty much 12 hours straight. His pedometer (health miles for work) registered 7.8 miles walked today. I was actually working before he was, and am fairly certain, despite having to take more breaks as the day wore on, I walked just as much as he did, possibly even more. My feet are killing me, I managed to put too much stress on my right knee (either pushing against a box to keep it from falling, or lifting something I should have let Bruce lift. I was pretty good about getting him to move the totes of books. I know I am not strong enough for those as they are loaded with hardback books. I did manage to have a broken lamp fall over and smack me in the back pretty much first thing. It was an old floor lamp we used while painting, and the bottom had finally given way. I moved some spare drywall an it came down. I have a nice skinned area now. 

On the plus side, we got rid of cabinets I have been wanting to remove since we bought the house 11 years ago. These are still several plastic totes I need to go thought--and probably trash the majority of what is in them--but there was not time tonight. We did put them together and where we can get to them later. We also have a section of yard sale items. Planning to have that in early Oct. If it doesn't sell, it will be trashed or go to a charity shop, depending what it is. Once that area is cleaned out, we will actually be able to get a vehicle into the garage. We will even have a better place for our motorcycle. Things do look much better, and I am exhausted. My body kept trying to shut down on me, but I had to keep pushing. Tomorrow is not a day I can rest either. 

I actually didn't eat much today. I did have 3 meals, and breakfast was the largest. I just couldn't eat much when I stopped to eat. I was hungry, but just a few bites and I was not  feeling well. I just slowed down and took my time, but I know I didn't eat nearly enough in reality.

Sleep tight everyone. Day 17 is just a few short hours away.

Keep after Jenn P! Rest.

Hello everyone - beautiful people comforting each other while struggling with their own dragons.

Hello Day17 I am still on the wagon. I feel fine, energy level high (but that is never a problem for me). The only thing what is bothering me it that the last 4 days I have a low back pain. I am not familiar with that. I had it in the older days in combination with my period. Maybe I need to take supplements? I do take some but that is to slay my cramp dragon. Since I can remember even as a child I experienced serious muscle cramp problems (mostly legs but also toes and fingers). When I did low carb/Atkins in the past it always got worse. I tried lots of things including Magnesium, hydrokinine etc. 2 years ago I finally found the solution hydrokinine combined with Magnesium, Zinc and Calcium and that does the trick.

My husband made the carnitas from Well Fed - jammie jammie!

Today I will smoke some salmon and combine that with squash puree and fennel salad on top. For lunch I will make grass feed beef carpaccio with some nice olive oil and rucola.

Enjoy your Whole30 - it will make you stronger!

Hi all,

Day 16...yay!! Past the halfway! :-)

Been feeling really bad for not paying more attention to the forum this last week. I've been really snowed under with uni work and both Peter and I are battling the flu. But feel like I'm handling being sick better through eating right.

Weekly cookup done from The Clothes Make the Girl...week 2...only started doing this last week and loved it. I had so much food for the week, but it was all eaten :-) The 5 spice slow cooker pork ribs and the Cinnamon beef stew smell divine!! Took some more photos this morning and both Peter & I are seeing some differences from Day 1. Bring on the next two weeks!

All the best to everyone for the coming week :-)

August 15...Day 19 for me (I started a few days before everyone else, but wanted to join this thread...)

Tue, Wed, and Thu this week I was on the road, business travel.  It went ok.  I was armed with homemade beef jerky, LaraBars, and nuts...and it was a darned good thing!

Ladybugbutt-   great inspiration for business or any kind of travel planning!    Good for you for sticking to it.   Can you share your recipe for the beef jerky?

Archived