August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7...still going strong.  What i've learned so far...we don't need to look at this as a diet...a diet is something you do for a short time then stop...this is a lifestyle choice, a healthy lifestyle choice.  I'm re-training my brain on what food is good for me and as such this is something I do not intend to stop doing.

went out to eat a restaurant last night for the first time, I found it not very difficult to make good choices on what to eat.  I had grilled sirloin, spaghetti squash and steamed broccoli. [(asked for no butter or any seasoning on my veggies and told the waitress, no bread) One thing I have started doing to slow down eating and savor my food more is put my fork down after each bite.

I've also been grocery shopping and found that I'm not missing any of the foods I used to eat, didn't have any contemplation on buying foods I shouldn't while walking down the aisles.

Keep at it everyone....remember just one meal at a time...it's not that hard to make the right choice every few hours.

Have a great day!

flyahead-   oh me too!!!.......  yesterday i felt like I was walking around looking pregnant b/c I was so bloated.   this is my first Whole30 but I was "practicing" with most of the rules for a few weeks leading up to this so I thought I would have less of these kinds of side effects.   I also am having other digestive issues and having been thinking longingly about my gluten free oats to help move things along..... 

Any compliant suggestions to help with constipation from experienced whole30 veterans?

Hi Jump4life,

Way to go!!!...I like you started playing around with the recipes for a couple of weeks before going full force.  One of the things that I noticed from that was that I was no longer running to candy...which was great...because I could survive off of that stuff at least that is what I thought...but since going full force, I'm really enjoying myself...

I must say that the bloating was a welcome sign...because although I thought I was doing good...this allows me to see a sign that I'm on the right track...yeah!!!...makes me not dread the next day...but instead look forward to what is to come.

Jump, my suggestion would be adding chia seeds to your diet..they may help with the constipation...you are welcome to do the check on whether it is allowed on whole30...I did find this link

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3458-chia-seeds/

In here, Melissa responds saying that they were allowed, however, the post is older...so please do your own research...

T

This is what I've learned this week...not all recipes are for me...I love modifying my eating, but with no processed foods and not being comfortable with eating out, I feel like I'm always cooking...so I will have to reign that in...prepping will be key to that...prob. a couple of hours on a weekend will do the trip and meal planning...plus I'm trying to get my boyfriend on board (struggle) and cook for my family who I'm not putting them on it full strength.  So trying to find meals that will work for all

Well i must say after i did some paddle boarding yesterday i felt fantastic. ive been beefing up my workouts for the past couple weeks, so im not sure if it was the "high" from the exercise or the detox we are doing but i felt great and stronger.

aside from wishing badly i could have a diet pepsi yesterday the food challenge hasnt been unbearable.

i am having a cookout this sunday and will be making everyone eat clean!! lol 

we are going to have hamburgers (i did score some grass-fed hamburger from our farmers market) with avocado and some homemade salsa as toppings, no buns but lettuce wraps! although i did tell my friends i would get them some pepperjack cheese!! 

im also going to do pineapple coleslaw. i did hear there is an olive oil dukes mayo that does not contain sugar. im going to check into locating that. wondering if it will be compliant? anyone know?

im thinking grilled asparagus too.

anyone have any other ideas for sides at my shindig let this girl know!!!

hope everyone is enjoying our first completed week!!!

Day 7...still going strong.  What i've learned so far...we don't need to look at this as a diet...a diet is something you do for a short time then stop...this is a lifestyle choice, a healthy lifestyle choice.  I'm re-training my brain on what food is good for me and as such this is something I do not intend to stop doing.

went out to eat a restaurant last night for the first time, I found it not very difficult to make good choices on what to eat.  I had grilled sirloin, spaghetti squash and steamed broccoli. [(asked for no butter or any seasoning on my veggies and told the waitress, no bread) One thing I have started doing to slow down eating and savor my food more is put my fork down after each bite.

I've also been grocery shopping and found that I'm not missing any of the foods I used to eat, didn't have any contemplation on buying foods I shouldn't while walking down the aisles.

Keep at it everyone....remember just one meal at a time...it's not that hard to make the right choice every few hours.

Have a great day!

everyone i know keeps referring to it as "my diet" i correct them and tell them its a challenge or a detox!

It is great to see people are feeling and doing better. Unfortunately I have not been doing very well. I was very sick yesterday. I could barely eat most of the day with nausea, stomach cramps, and generally feeling like shit. Part of it was that I also haven't been sleeping well. I am doing better today and I have decided to take the day off to rest, drink lots of water and broth. I am very proud of myself for not caving in yesterday. My usual stand-by is white rice and ginger ale. I know I am eating more fruit than I should but it is one of the things I can tolerate. I am balancing it out with protein and coconut. Last night I was able to do parsnips and today I have done celery and cucumber with my turkey morning mix. I am on day 6 and hoping that I will feel better soon.

Oddly enough I was craving raw tuna and salmon all day

Quickly checking in while waiting for my husband to get home, so I can get to Crossfit on time. :/  

I made it through last night, but I was white-knuckling it. I wanted nothing more than a bowl of the Doritos that dh had sitting by his computer. The cheesey nacho-ness was calling....  I resisted, but I ate the rest of the watermelon in my fridge instead. 

I've just about made it though the veggies I purchased for the week, so I need to be sure to get to the farmers market and grocery store tomorrow, or I'll be scrambling. Veggies are still a struggle for me - I'm not big into squash, avocado or sweet potato. I have to take them in smallish quantities or mixed into the recipe. Being able to have white potatoes now is a saving grace - I haven't been going overboard, but having half white/half sweet potato works out much better for me.

Happy Day 7 everybody!

The Whole30 Daily suggested we share on the forum one thing we've learned this week:

I've learned...  when I cut out ALL less healthy foods, I need to eat a lot more Good Food in order to get enough calories

How about everyone else?

For me, it is, when I cut out the junk, even when I am tired I have more energy that when I was eating junk food but didn't think I was tired. I really need to sleep more. I have one week to get this figured out. As of the 18th I am back in school and have to get up about 4:30AM. I have to have time to study, play hockey (my sanity tool), and have some down time. Twice a week I will be getting home about 11PM and getting back up at 4:30. I know it is not ideal, but for the first 6 weeks of school it will only be once a week, and by the time day 2 kicks in, I should be in a good routine. For the first 8 weeks of school I have classes form 8:30-2:30 M, T, W, and F. As of week 9, I am 8 (or earlier) to 4 (or later), M-F as clinicals kick in. I won't have as much homework then, I hope, so it will mean I have to get a nap on my late days (an option I am already considering for a break in studying after class). As of the 18th, my exercise days will also change to W, T, F, Su as the end of Aug also means the start of hockey on most Saturdays. I am going to try to limit my weekend studying so I can have the "me time" then. It is also when I will be cleaning house. One thing I know I hate is how much of a Type A personality I will have to channel to do this. I want the type B+ I had before I started teaching Special Ed and was transformed into an A+++ because that is what the students needed from me. I am not blaming them at all. I would just like to find the happy-go-lucky side of me again.

So yesterday was not a bad day. Today started late--we both slept in because our bodies needed it. I have started having weird dreams, but not about food--about former students and trips we took. I think I miss the fun of the respite I did from time to time. Last W30 I had these types of dreams. I have not dealt with bloat, but I take magnesium every night before going to bed to help my system expel waste. Interestingly enough, Since I had surgery in Dec, I had problems with gas after eating. At one point I was having to take 2 digestive enzyme pills and 1 HCL pill just to keep it away--and keep me from feeling like I was going to explode. If I took it 30 minutes after I ate, I could expect severe stomach pain in about 5 minutes and it would last @20 min. I got so I ate @1/2, took the pills, then finished eating--ended the pain anyway. At some point (April maybe) I stopped the HCL and started just taking the enzymes if the gas started--most meals @30 min after. I dealt with the pain and took the pills--better than killing people with the loud gas. What I realized last night is, I haven't taken one since starting W30. I don't know why. I am pretty much eating the same foods. Breakfasts are something that changed little for me (mainly because I LOVE roasted root veggies). I had connected it to the carbs (liek Sweet potatoes) I ate, but that seems unfounded now. While I don't get it, I am very happy about it. It is nice to be able to get on the ice and know I won't be aided down the ice by my own personal wind gust.  :wacko: 

Lunch will be in a little, and it is slated as leftovers from previous meals....quite possibly a salad with leftover protein. Dinner is left over roast chicken and leftover veggies. Hockey again tonight, but it is later so I will actually eat dinner first. May or may not have something after. It will be 10:00 before I am off the ice and changed, and that is late to eat as I will do my best to get straight home and into bed--sleepytime tea for the way home. I need to get in some study time today. I have my meal plan for next week ready, and will type it in today.  I will make up my shopping list, and after I get my CSA order on Saturday, I will determine if I need to amend that list as needed. I need to remember to buy extra from the CSA as well. 

On Saturday, I plan on spending a good amount of time making my own diced tomatoes after I finish grocery shopping. I have to get some lemons to make the tomatoes--to raise the acid level so they won't go bad after being canned in a water bath. I will be getting tomatoes (seconds) from my CSA. Soon, I will be able to take diced tomatoes off my shopping list, at least for a bit. Gotta love that. 

Have a great day everyone. Week 1 is almost in the bag. I celebrated by having my hubby take 1 week pictures. Yeah, I doubt there will be a noticeable difference, but I can tell my clothes fit better, and my arms look leaner. 

Jump, my suggestion would be adding chia seeds to your diet..they may help with the constipation...you are welcome to do the check on whether it is allowed on whole30...I did find this link

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3458-chia-seeds/

In here, Melissa responds saying that they were allowed, however, the post is older...so please do your own research...

Thanks flyahead-   I love chia  and it is allowed on Whole30 according to the book and the official "can I have list'   http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/    I had  it with coconut milk and cherries on Day 2, yum! 

The caveat is that is supposed to be treated like nuts and seeds, and only included occassionally . I guess I am not sure what occassionally really means but I was taking this a once a week type of treat.   

So despite some ongoing digestive issues my day 7 went really really well

Food choices felt easy and natural- I didnt have to cook anything today b/c of Sunday cook up and leftovers from the week!  

My workout with my trainer (mostly bodyweight circuit and lifting heavy stuff)  was amazing!  I felt a definite surge of energy and my body heated up really quickly-    I am not sure if you can really feel the difference between burning carbs and being fat adapted, or even if it could really happen this early, but it sure felt different and my trainer noticed a difference too.    I was sweating a lot more-  wether from more effort or as a consequence of fat burning I am not sure....   but she  said "sweat is fat crying"   so I'll take it!   

Here is to one week done!   Congratualtions to all!

Hi All, hope you had a food day.  Mine was good.  Staying focus.  For a minute there today I thought "what the hell", but then things settled down and I was able to stay on track.  I notice how fragile this whole journey can be.  Keeping in touch here makes me feel connected to like minded people.  I really want to go all the way, fingers crossed.

Well hello Day 8 and everyone. First week went OK. Occasional cravings (my favorite New York breakfast French toast with fresh fruit, bacon and maple syrup, or French baguette with salty butter and nutella) Oh my, but I did conquer them with a truck load of fresh veggies nibbling the days away.

Today

M1 leftover Pad Thai (Well fed 1)

M2 roasted veggies (beets, eggplant, carrot, onion, pepper) with avocado and meatloaf and a big portion of fresh green leaves

M3 ? depending on arriving or not of my ordered spiral cutter - if yes spaghetti zucchini with broccoli ansjovis and garlic and small meatballs

if not - cauliflower rice baked with green beans, broccoli and meatballs

Tomorrow I will go for a long walk with friend, better take some food on the go. Afternoon will be spend on cooking marathon for the next week.

Good day to you all and keep up the strenght! It's worth it, I can see my waist is changing!

Day 8! Celebrated the end of the first week with a grass-fed steak and chimichurri sauce last night - delicious!

One thing I've learned this week is that this is *not* like Atkins, which was one of my concerns at the beginning. I tried Atkins a couple of times, years ago, and each time I felt really sick, and got very constipated. No nausea this time, and I'm very regular, which I guess must be down to doggedly eating the veggies with every meal, and having some root vegetables (sweet potato, parsnip, potatoes) too, plus all the healthy fats. Feeling pretty good, with no obvious side effects at the moment. I hope everyone else is doing well too!

Hard to believe we are already to Day 8! I have enjoyed the comments--the white-knuckling it to avoid the Doritos, and the one meal at a time comment. I'm doing well but sleep is up and down. Some nights I have slept like a rock and others it is hard to fall asleep or I wake up in the night and am awake for a while. I am hoping that settles down. It's not all due to food choices, though, much is just the anxiety about family issues, etc. It will be okay.

Made Well Fed Pad Thai for supper--I love that stuff and am taking it for lunch today. Breakfast will be the last piece of frittata. I've got to make another one. That has fed me every morning for a few days. I usually plop some mayo on top or this morning it will be half and avocado. Yum!

We will be going out to dinner tomorrow night so I've got to get online and look at the menu and think about choices. Hope everyone's start to our second week will go great!

Day 8 and what have I learned? Well, if you don't eat junk, your skinny jeans fit so much better. ;)

I realize how incredible it feels to pass a full day without nausea, heartburn, bloating, general yuckiness and all the other negative side effects that I have accepted as normal for so long.

I realize just how badly I have been abusing my body and how strongly I feel about not letting that be the legacy that I leave to my girls. I am desperate to show my beautiful little creations what it looks like to respect your body and protect your health. I want to teach them to live by the principle that their food choices are either going to make them more healthy or less healthy - and arm them with healthy bodies that will allow them to tackle any challenges. I want to break the pattern that my own mother and sister are in and show them that they too can feel better by simply making the right choices.

Obviously, I will have wine and chocolate and probably birthday cake again. But I WILL NOT habitually fill myself with badness and harmful foods.

Thank you Melissa and Dallas. You really are changing lives one bite at a time! Thank you Support Forum for being there and sharing so that we all may learn and grow. Thank you husband for eating whatever I put in front of you and telling me what an incredible cook I am (that really is a stretch of the concept) and for eating whatever junk you want far away from me and leaving no evidence. And thank you online organic food store for same-day delivery!

I must say that the bloating was a welcome sign...because although I thought I was doing good...this allows me to see a sign that I'm on the right track...yeah!!!...makes me not dread the next day...but instead look forward to what is to come.

Awesome point of view!!! :)

My first week was great. Surprisingly I did not have the severity of withdrawal symptoms I kept expecting. 

Currently my sleep is out of whack. At the beginning of the challenge it was great, but the past handful of nights I have not been able to fall asleep! My energy level has been decent but mostly I'm really excited for whats to come!

I have been thinking a lot about sleep and some of the points made in ISWF. The idea of going to bed early, waking up early and well rested-ready to slay the day, sleeping soundly, etc. on a regular basis sounds like heaven, and having awesome child-like energy throughout the day! One of the things I want to focus on this week is going to bed earlier and rising with the sun. Despite my horrible sleep last night, I woke up pretty close to sunrise this morning and I'm looking to keep that up and head to bed by 10:30, shutting off all techno-media (eek) by 9:30! 

Another thing I want to focus on is trying new foods. I let my first week be pretty basic semi-purposefully, eating what I knew I liked to get me through the initial struggles, now I'm ready to add some foods I wouldn't normally consider and change things up a bit! :) 

For anyone who is having trouble with constipation, one of the things my nutritionist advised is that 400-800 mg of Magnesium Citrate will help with that problem.  I actually take Magnesium at night to help me sleep (it will naturally help you relax, and some people even use it to treat headaches).  But, unless I am "stopped up", I take Magneisum Glycinate in the evenings because of the effect that the Magnesium Citrate has!  However, when I need it, I know I can switch to Magnesium Citrate, and by the next morning everything will be sorted out.

Archived