August 1st Group Thread

JennyF

Happy day 10 to everyone. I'm going to motivate myself today - and hopefully you too - by listing all the different vegetables I've eaten so far. I was eating pretty badly before I started the Whole30, with maybe one helping of vegetables a day on a good day. Big improvement!

Here's what I've had:

White and red onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, red cabbage, Savoy cabbage, broccoli, salad leaves, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, courgettes (= zucchini), rocket (= arugula), kale, chard, carrots, alfalfa and broccoli sprouts, celery, beetroot, watercress, avocado, mushrooms.

So far I am doing ok, but no radical change to energy levels or minor medical conditions yet - possibly fractionally thinner - looking forward to seeing what the next 10 days brings!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have made it to day 9. Yay. I finished my worksheet today. I should do it again when I am able to see more change. My clothes are fitting better and someone said I looked like I lost some weight. So far my mega cravings have not hit yet. I am waiting though because they always do. The desire to go to fast food with a magazine and read. The old saying...oh just one more day... Or I feel like shit anyway. So I guess still not feeling great has it's advantages. I upped my liver/gallbladder supplements so I am not feeling as good as I did yesterday. I am still not sleeping well and not getting much deep sleep which is frustration. Not to mentions the party outside last night. I had to ask them to keep it down around midnight. I am always up around 4 am no matter what time I sleep. I am looking forward to when I do start to sleep like a baby. I have been taking Magnesium at night and drinking sleepy time tea, plus sleeping with a visor to keep the light out but it doesn't seem to help.

I am getting a lot done during the day and my desires to take naps have lessened. I am getting to bed by 8:30 every night which is good. I am starting to walk and stretch more. I celebrated getting through week one by getting a 30 minute massage. It was awesome!!

Food:

Turkey burger left over sweet potato

Roasted turkey & salad with apple cider vinaigrette

Ground Beef with veggies and fruit

Not sure about dinner yet

Well I slept about 8 hours last night. Not bad overall. Of course, while I was getting the crockpot ready this morning my day fell apart, in a way. See, I have a cat with a disgusting behavior. We don't know why, but at times he will simply pee where-ever he wants. The only thing consistent is he likes to do this on bags. Well, this morning it was in my big old ikea bag. Nope it wasn't empty. Luckily it was only the catalog, but I use that for cutting out ideas for when we work on the house. So that no longer exists. Ikea is only 6 hrs away, so it isn't like I can run and pick up another one. End result, total meltdown on my part. The cat is staying as far from me as he can get, and that is a good thing. 

I postponed my Old Fashioned Beef Stew until today as I had so much protein leftover. I will need to replan this week's menu as a result. I am still cooking Yassa Poulet (chicken) tomorrow, but I am not sure how much more I will need to cook until Friday, other than breakfast ideas. I will cook up some chicken to use for protein in salads, and I have tuna and approved lunch meat for more basic lunches. I am making a pumpkin breakfast 'pudding,' avocado cups, and I forget what else just now for breakfast--I am not near the menu. 

Unlike others, I don't care to do cookups at the start of the week. The reason is, since it is just two of us, and I never know how many servings a recipe will really make, I end up with far too much cooked food, and have had food go bad as a result. A crockpot is easy enough, and I plan harder foods on day I have more time. I am looking into freezer to crockpot meals. I am also starting to chop up and freeze peppers, onions, etc so I can grab and toss together easy dishes.

Well, today I need to work on the tomatoes I never got to yesterday. Have a good day everyone.

My Sunday afternoon cookup just abruptly took a new direction b/c the Citrus Carnitas are finished....  one taste and I knew I had to have them as a meal RIGHT NOW!!!  

I threw together a baby kale, cabbage and carrot salad, with olive oil, lime and cumin dressing to complement the pork  and this is  lunch!  

post-49013-0-44457200-1407695661_thumb.j)

My husband (who is not on Whole30) took one bite of the pork and asked "can I eat this too?"   Selfishly, I considered saying "no its all mine!!"   but managed to smile and say "of course" and now he is roasting potatoes to have with his.    My son is on his way home from work so I am going to claim several portions for my lunches this week before it disappears!    

This  Citrus Carnitas  is from Melissa Jouhlwan's  Well Fed-  and I have to say it is neck and neck with the Pad Thai for my favorite recipes in the book.    If you do not already have it,  I cant recommend it enough.    I am off to order Well Fed 2 now, b/c I think the woman is a genius!  

I'm going to motivate myself today - and hopefully you too - ...........

White and red onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, red cabbage, Savoy cabbage, broccoli, salad leaves, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, courgettes (= zucchini), rocket (= arugula), kale, chard, carrots, alfalfa and broccoli sprouts, celery, beetroot, watercress, avocado, mushrooms.

Thanks Demobhappy!!      Your post this AM motivated me to remember to buy kale and cabbage, which I have been meaning to incorporate into my veggie rotations....    and I was able to use them right away for my delicious lunch!!  

Jenn we have that same cat living in our house! It is SO frustrating. Just this morning we had an issue so I totally understand, we have five cats so it is difficult to narrow it down. Typically it happens when we are not home enough to pay attention to them.

Last night I spent a lot of time packing a beautiful Whole 30 compliant picnic for the outdoor Stan Ridgeway and English Beat concert we attended. I made beautiful cauliflower stir fry rice from Well Fed 1 and Moroccan Chicken and Apricot meatballs from Well Fed 2. All was going well until we made it to the entry and our bag was too big! I panicked because I had not eaten and all they had inside were non compliant food trucks. Fortunately my husband went back to the car and downsized the bag - we were able to enjoy the meatballs without the dipping sauce but they were still fantastic - we also could not enjoy the cauliflower stir fry rice but it was wonderful cold this morning with breakfast. Victory! I did not eat off the food truck and enjoyed an outstanding show. At one point the funnel cake smell came floating through the air and I turned to my husband and said: "You know if I wasn't doing Whole 30 I would be all over that funnel cake right now and feeling totally gross!" Funnel cake always seems like a good idea at the time but after eating just makes me feel like crap - can I say again - SO grateful for Whole 30. Stan Ridgeway just rocked the house and the English Beat provided wonderful dance music and it all took place out doors and for free :)

Went to the farmers market today and picked up grass fed beef, lamb and bacon. It was pricey but doable. Yes I finally found Whole 30 compliant bacon which will be a fantastic addition for our Paleo camping trip this weekend - nothing like bacon and eggs at the campsite. More camp food planning this week - prep on Thursday. We also got farm fresh eggs which taste so much better and lost of veggies.

Today we are having dinner with my parents at the beach, we are hosting - Foil wrapped Salmon and Tropical Chopped Salad - Cucumber Salad. My husband and I are heading down early to play some paddle tennis so we will enjoy tuna Waldorf salad for lunch with the left over cauliflower stir fry rice we could not enjoy at the show last night. Love the beach, so peaceful and healing.

Because we are spending the day at the beach I will be doing my cook up tomorrow morning - going to start getting up at 5:00 am in preparation for the start of the school year.

Oh more good news - wonderful sleep last night! I purchased the Calm Magnesium supplement and have used it two nights in a row and I even slept in until 7:30 - that is rare. What a treat!

Have a great day everyone - it is beautiful here.

My Sunday afternoon cookup just abruptly took a new direction b/c the Citrus Carnitas are finished....  one taste and I knew I had to have them as a meal RIGHT NOW!!!  

I threw together a baby kale, cabbage and carrot salad, with olive oil, lime and cumin dressing to complement the pork  and this is  lunch!  

attachicon.giflunch.JPG)

My husband (who is not on Whole30) took one bite of the pork and asked "can I eat this too?"   Selfishly, I considered saying "no its all mine!!"   but managed to smile and say "of course" and now he is roasting potatoes to have with his.    My son is on his way home from work so I am going to claim several portions for my lunches this week before it disappears!    

This  Citrus Carnitas  is from Melissa Jouhlwan's  Well Fed-  and I have to say it is neck and neck with the Pad Thai for my favorite recipes in the book.    If you do not already have it,  I cant recommend it enough.    I am off to order Well Fed 2 now, b/c I think the woman is a genius!

Oh my gosh - I will be trying that recipe next! LOVE the Well Fed cookbooks - Pad Thai is my favorite. Fortunately my husband joined in with me so he is also enjoying the recipes . You will love the Well Fed 2 cookbook, it is just as good. She is absolutely genius. Should we #wellfed #melissajoulwan in support - love her :)

Today I feel great despite an emotionally challenging week. My food choices have been consistent with my plan and my paleo journal has been my best friend. I have written more in it this time than just using it for a log which is giving me a new/different perspective on the variety of interactions I manage throughout the day. Researched eating out today so I can have a plan going into a birthday late lunch today for my mother. Family day and I feel fresh even with five hours of sleep. Keep going strong. I can't wait to lift barbells on Monday. 

attachicon.giflunch.JPG)

That looks amazingly good!

Really struggling here with digestive issues, I feel going low fodmap is contributing to this, which means it was something I needed to do, but I hope its over soon!!! Hubby is starting to get really confused with what I can and can't eat, I told him not to bother learning about the will and wont eats, just learn the can and can't, when I eventually know what those are. ARRRGGGHHH!!
Those of you with non whole30 significant others, how are they coping?

Really struggling here with digestive issues, I feel going low fodmap is contributing to this, which means it was something I needed to do, but I hope its over soon!!! Hubby is starting to get really confused with what I can and can't eat, I told him not to bother learning about the will and wont eats, just learn the can and can't, when I eventually know what those are. ARRRGGGHHH!!

Leahcarn- my husband is not doing W30, but has tried some of the recipes. Then like meatballs - he gets pasta, I get spaghetti squash. He is eating better than he has in the past & I have purged the house of a lot of non compliant food. He does still bring in the occasional ice cream or other treat. I am slowing trying to convert him. This is my 3rd W30- started in July. Even when we eat out he tries to choose restaurants where I can eat. He has even researched menus for me before going out.

I think it takes time- I know it's hard to keep up with the do's & don'ts. Hang in there

Did a big cook up today so have meals for the next few days. I've also been experimenting with making Cold Brewed tea which I've never done before.

I think I have created a monster with the extra spicy hot peppers I've been cooking with, but I've noticed that every time I have hot peppers and certain spices I am getting dizzy. I am sensitive to nightshades but have occasionally been eating potatoes and hot peppers during this Whole30 so am probably bringing this on myself. I generally don't eat white potatoes and think I will stick with that since they really cause my blood sugar to sky rocket.

Today I feel great despite an emotionally challenging week. My food choices have been consistent with my plan and my paleo journal has been my best friend. I have written more in it this time than just using it for a log which is giving me a new/different perspective on the variety of interactions I manage throughout the day. Researched eating out today so I can have a plan going into a birthday late lunch today for my mother. Family day and I feel fresh even with five hours of sleep. Keep going strong. I can't wait to lift barbells on Monday. 

I ate clean at dinner. I don't love eating out. Sigh. My work schedule is turned around so Monday is my Friday and I still need to prepare food. My eyelids are closing. The snapshot of my challenge... ;)  :blink:

Today ended up being quite productive.

I canned 15 pints of diced tomatoes, got laundry done, and mostly put up (waiting for the last load so I can get it hanging--floor mats and such. I made a open To Do list for this coming week. Studying is one key item, but I am determined to get the house cleaned. By the end of the month I also want to rearrange the master bedroom and destroy then rebuild my third bedroom (sewing/craft/hockey gear rm).

Two things on my list we moping the laundry area and kitchen (because I can cross of weekly things and get to see that item crossed off). Well, I was planning on doing them tomorrow. They are now done thanks to Old Fashioned Beef Stew. The recipe made so much I decided to split it and freeze some. Well, I should have known better. You know those vacuum seal bags. Well, I often use them for leftovers. Heck, you can pull items from the freezer and pop them in boiling water and cook in the bag. Honest, I have done it with no issue. Only, it seems hot beef stew melts the bags. I got 1/2 way to the freezer in the garage, stopped to grab again--it was hot--moved 6 more feet, and it broke at the threshold to the garage. Luckily, it did not burn my legs (my shorts took the hit). I got to clean up the entry to the garage (the step down area), the laundry room I was just about to step out of, and did the kitchen while I was at it. Like my husband said, at least it didn't happen in the freezer. Cleaning that mess up would have been a lit harder than what I had to clean up. 

I am not overly sad at the loss. The broth was fantastic, but the vegetables and beef didn't seem to cook right. We have another night's worth in the kitchen fridge, and I will try it again in the fall. I figure I must have made a mistake somewhere. 

I also made Paleo Pumpkin Pudding for breakfast. It made more than I expected, so I think I have @2-1/2 or 3 days for breakfasts for the two of us. That recipe required 2 C coconut milk. That meant @ 1-1/3 cans needed. Rather than waste the extra, I had some real vanilla beans in the cabinet, so I split 1 and put the seeds into the vitamix with the remainder of the coconut milk (I had whipped the two cans together in it so the mix was consistent). I now have vanilla 'cream'  to try in my coffee in the morning. 

When I started working on the tomatoes I forgot to eat. It was 5PM when I realized I never had lunch. I kept meaning to have something to eat, but was busy. Today's batch was not one I could simply let cook, like applesauce, for hours. I was constantly working in some fashion from the time I cut an x in the first tomato and dropped it in boiling water to pulling the last pint out of the water bath. After I ate, I kept thinking, "I want something else." I finally pulled out a bottle of water and realized I had barely had water all day. I will have a pretty massive headache in the morning, most likely. Despite that, I didn't chuck it all and cave. had the beef stew incident happened after thinking how I just wanted to eat those last few dark chocolate squares in my cabinet, I may not have been able to hold off. At least I was able to say, whether true or not, 'No, you're just frustrated. Now hush and drink a water.'

BTW, I forget who mentioned cold brewing tea. Thought I would share that hubby and I fill up 20oz reusable water bottles and pop a couple (normally 2) tea bags in (whatever flavor we want that is compliant) and put in the fridge overnight. When we take it our in the AM, it is ready to go. I also do the same first thing in the AM to take to school. I sometimes take the bags out before drinking, sometimes I just let them stay until I am done and the bottle gets washed that evening.

Feeling very sick today. Cold sweats and nauseousness. I made some chicken for dinner and then had to go lay down for a couple of hours. Woke up in a sweat. Had some chicken and getting ready to go to bed. These last two days have been difficult but I am pushing through them and staying on plan. I wonder if any other diabetics are experiencing  the same symptoms?

I had lot of cravings on Saturday and had to lean on my Whole30 support person - she fed me herbal tea, fresh blueberries and almonds and let me complain about how much I wanted [a certain prohibited food]. Then I let her complain about her hard week at work. Ah,  friendship! :)

On Sunday, I went on a trip with friends and managed to have a compliant meal in a pub - roast lamb with lots of vegetables. I would have had gravy, but I was sure it had wheat or cornflour in it, so said no, without even asking about it.

The recipe I will try this week is the crispy, spiced chicken livers from Well Fed 2 - I'm also a huge fan of both books. I've never cooked with liver in this way. (Have only put it into chillis, bolognese etc.)

The recipe I will try this week is the crispy, spiced chicken livers from Well Fed 2 - I'm also a huge fan of both books. I've never cooked with liver in this way. (Have only put it into chillis, bolognese etc.)

Ellie_G-   can you tell us more about the chilis, bolognese etc?    Liver (or any organ meat) is something I want to incorporate, but have still not worked up to even buying the ingredient!   I tried a chicken liver pate of sorts at a deli on Sat but that was not something I would do again.   

Thanks!

My husband and almost adult son are not Whole 30.   They both really like the emphasis more and different meats.

Both of "my boys" are mostly carnivores at heart so getting them to eat more  veggies is my hidden agenda for this month.  For my cookups, my husband is acting as my shopping partner, sous chef and clean up crew-   this is a really fun way for us to hang out and for him to get to know some of the rules. Zucchini has made it onto my husbands "OK" list -  maybe because he helped me grate up a huge, 4lb zucchini and needed to taste the results of his efforts (chicken zucchini poppers and silky gingered zucchini soup).  Still working on my son!

It is hard. I am the only one in my family. Luckily I don't have to make a lot of non-compliant food for them because they make their own. I had to tell them for one meal I couldn't eat with them because it was just too hard. It does get easier though. Hats off to the ones who are having to make the non-compliant food for their family.

Feeling very sick today. Cold sweats and nauseousness. I made some chicken for dinner and then had to go lay down for a couple of hours. Woke up in a sweat. Had some chicken and getting ready to go to bed. These last two days have been difficult but I am pushing through them and staying on plan. I wonder if any other diabetics are experiencing  the same symptoms?

I hope you feel better soon. 

Well I got my first good night sleep last night. It was so nice. I had almost forgotten what it feels like not to wake up every 1-2 hours. Still dizzy and light headed but I am not having as much nausea and intestinal issues. I did really well with the cravings yesterday but I know not to get cocky about it. I have a very strong negotiator that has many times caused me to cave in. I need to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I also don’t want to obsess over it and the voices saying to cheat. That is also what I do and then it just drives me crazy.

Unfortunately I don’t have many veggies prepped today so I will have to make most of them. I didn’t eat my salad as I had planned so I have that to have today. I have seen a few posts about eating organ meat. I have not been courageous enough to try them. It has to do with the texture. Also without being able to have chicken I think it would be difficult to find turkey livers and beef might be just too strong. I did read a recipe for the spicy crispy chicken livers that looked interesting. The pumpkin pudding sounds good too but I am nervous that it is too deserty for me and would feed into my sugar dragon although I may try it just mashed.

My issue is not getting bored with my choices because I am so limited with the veggies and protein I can have. Plus organic red meat is so expensive for me I am stuck eating a lot of ground meat. I have very little time as well over the next few weeks to do big prep days which will make it hard. I have a big job until the end of Aug that is demanding a 7 day a week work weeks. It doesn’t leave a lot of time to do much and when I do me time off all I want to do is rest and recoup for the upcoming days not spend the entire time in the kitchen. My mom has offered to help but she is getting too forgetful in the kitchen so I worry about her cooking and setting the house or her on fire, and also she will inevitably put something in it that I can’t eat.

I will let you all know what I end up eating today. I need to figure it out.

It is day 10 for me. Everyone have a great day 

day 11...Things are going pretty well here.  I haven't had many cravings, though I do believe I will sit down and have a cold beer on day 31. (just sayin')

I've been pretty matter of fact with everything so far, haven't felt deprived when out grocery shopping just getting the items I need and taking care of business. 

I haven't experienced any cravings really, maybe it's because I've set a target of doing a sprint tri at the end of September and this is just part of the process of getting ready for that event.

Regardless, day 11 everyone...stay strong we are too far comitted now to fall off the wagon.

It's great seeing how everyone is helping each other out here.

When you're thinking you can't do this...just remember, it's only a couple hours to the next meal...you can make it that far!

Have a great day!

Archived