Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

_c5d0732.jpg

WHAT EXACTLY IS TIGER BLOOD, ANYWAY?

21 April, 2014

A huge thank you to Whole9′s Robin Strathdee, who recognized the need for this update, and crafted our new language.

Recently, there’s been a lot of buzz about the term “Tiger Blood,” as used in our Whole30 Timeline. (For those of you wondering where the phrase originally came from, it was Charlie Sheen, in an interview with Esquire Magazine. However, we just co-opted the phrase for our own use and gave it our own definition—nobody really knows what he was talking about in that write-up.)

Here’s what our original Timeline said:

Days 16-27: Tiger Blood. Goodbye cravings, hello Tiger Blood! This must be what everyone is talking about. You’ve hit the downhill slope of your Whole30 and life is beautiful. Your energy is through the roof, you’ve kicked the cravings, you’re experimenting with new, delicious food, and you’ve finally got the time to notice that your clothes fit better, your workouts are stronger, and you are generally more awesome.

So where did the concept of Tiger Blood come from? The idea of Days 16+ being “magical” started with Dallas and Melissa’s original experience with the Whole30, back in April 2009. Melissa says, “For me, it was like I woke up one morning and a switch had flipped. I was no longer dragging, cranky, or foggy. I had energy! I was strong! I felt unstoppable! And that magical feeling continued as long as I stayed on the Whole30.”

copy-of-amandaodonnell15.jpg

For Melissa (who was already exercising regularly, eating a Paleo-ish diet, and generally feeling really good), omitting the last few “less healthy” items from her diet made a dramatic change in her energy, body composition, and performance in the gym. Many of Melissa’s blog readers and fellow exercise enthusiasts shared this experience during their first Whole30, too—so for this population at this time, we defined Tiger Blood as flipping a switch and going into “Energizer Bunny” mode.

12572546035_9775d0b59e_b.jpg

Today’s Tiger Blood

Since that very first Whole30, however, we’ve come to realize that the program benefits aren’t dramatic, “light switch” moments for most.  Not everyone feels like the Energizer Bunny, grins like the Cheshire Cat, or feels unstoppable during their program, especially if you’re recovering from decades of poor eating habits, a sedentary lifestyle, or chronic health conditions.

This isn’t news to our readers, either. From the feedback we’ve received from our community, it seems like you already knew this. Here’s what you are saying about the Tiger Blood phrase:

“I feel that the ‘Tiger Blood’ expression is a little misleading because if people don’t feel like superheroes after a certain amount of time they think they’re failing or doing something wrong.“– MsPefy13

“I hate that Whole30 has taken that phrase and used it to describe people just feeling better. Forget tiger blood. Go for actually feeling better.” – AmyS

Turns out you guys are right on this one. We should have expanded our definition of Tiger Blood long ago, and we haven’t—which leaves many of you feeling like you’re missing out on something with your Whole30 experience. So, we’d like to apologize. It’s not your fault. You didn’t do anything wrong. We just set the Tiger Blood bar too high, and that’s on us.

What Does Tiger Blood Mean to You?

Knowing we wanted to revise this portion of the timeline, we asked our Facebook community members whether they experienced “Tiger Blood” during their program, and what the phrase meant to them. People shared a diverse list of results, but were pretty consistent in theme.

“Tiger Blood eluded me during my Whole50, but I did have more energy than before and noticed that I was doing tasks instead of putting them off.” – SharynF

“I never felt any Tiger Blood-type magical burst of energy. What I did feel is steady continuous energy throughout the day. I wake up more easily and earlier on a regular basis, sleep through the night more often, and don’t run out of energy or feel like I’m going to crash every afternoon.” –Khhdesign

“I’m on Day 20 and don’t have one drop of Tiger Blood. I was worried about not having the boundless energy described on the timeline, but realized I was starting to feel…. calm and content, just being. This is huge for me! Before the Whole30 I was exhausted & had very low energy… literally, chugging coffee all the time, prying my eyes awake at 3pm to last the rest of the work day, falling asleep on the couch by 7pm. Now I’m slowly becoming ‘me’ again… and ‘me’ means eventually working past equilibrium & having more energy to exercise & move more!” -Skepticallytrying

_c5d0730.jpg

“Tiger Blood means that chunk of brain and emotion that was always worrying about monitoring myself to make sure my blood sugar didn’t bottom out and my pain level didn’t explode is suddenly free to deal with normal day-to-day challenges that used to keep me exhausted. I can DO again!” -Diannah R.

“For me, Tiger Blood means laser-like focus. Decision making became simpler, clearer. And days where I am up at 4 am and still going strong at 8 pm. Amazing.” -Jessica H.

A Newly Defined “Tiger Blood”

What we’re seeing is that Whole30’ers generally experience most (if not all) of the benefits we mentioned, but it’s not always a light-switch experience, and the change might not be as dramatic originally portrayed.  Your “Tiger Blood” may not qualify as heavens-opening-angels-singing-beam-of-light eureka moments—the benefits may show up gradually, or appear in a form you weren’t expecting based on our original description.

So today, we propose a new definition, based on the experiences of the folks in the trenches, slugging it out one day at a time (and sometimes for 45 or 60 days instead of 30).  We hope this new definition accurately reflects the benefits you should see, while offering hope for those who don’t experience “Energizer Bunny” or “light-switch magic” in the typical time-frame:

Days 16-27: Tiger Blood!

You’ve hit the downhill slope of your Whole30 and life is beautiful—which means different things for different people. For some (generally people who came to the program eating well, exercising regularly, and feeling pretty good to begin with), Tiger Blood means someone flipped a switch and turned on the awesome. Energy is through the roof, cravings are under control, clothes are fitting better, workouts are stronger.

rscn0166-001.jpg

For others, this Tiger Blood stage feels more like a real sense of self-efficacy. It doesn’t mean things are perfect (or even easy), but you’re proving to yourself that you can do this, things are getting better, and you’re seeing improvements (small or large) almost daily. Your energy is steadier, you’ve got a firmer handle on the cravings, and you’re experimenting with new, delicious foods.  You may notice that your ability to focus is keener, your body composition is changing, your moods are more stable, you’re stepping up your exercise, or you’re just plain happier these days.

Of course, this may not happen like magic at the halfway point. There are a huge number of factors that influence which benefits you see and when. If you’re one of those folks who has hit the halfway mark and isn’t seeing or feeling the dramatic changes others have reported*, know this: You’re not doing it wrong. If you began the Whole30 with a medical condition, a long and rooted history of unhealthy food habits, or a chronically stressful lifestyle, your “magic” may take longer to appear, and probably won’t be a “light switch” moment. Don’t stress about whether you’re feeling honest-to-goodness “Tiger Blood”—be patient, and be on the lookout for small, gradual improvements to keep you motivated. Slow and steady still wins this race.

hybrid_adrianotavano_zoomaimi_2012.jpg

*There really is no such thing as a “typical” Whole30. Honestly. There are just trends and common occurrences.

How’d We Do?

So there you have it—our new and improved Tiger Blood (also updated on the Whole30 Timeline and Whole30 Glossary). What do you think? Is this new definition more accurate? Can you you’re your own progress in this description? Sound off in comments!

A postscript: no Tiger Blood at all?

Sometimes (albeit rarely), we hear from people who tell us that the Tiger Blood phase—either some or all of the descriptors—never happened for them at all. Sometimes they’re just expecting the magic to happen earlier than is reasonable. But often they’ve done everything they know to do, and still haven’t seen the benefit.

as6w0154_small.jpg

That doesn’t mean their Whole30 was unsuccessful or that they did something wrong. In fact, there are several legitimate reasons why that may be the case: pre-existing medical conditions, lifestyle factors, under-eating, and more. If that’s you, please don’t be discouraged. You may just need a little more time and a little more support on the program, or you may need to take your efforts up a notch and find a good functional medicine doctor to look more specifically into your hormones, gut, and adrenal function.

tenang-1.jpg

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/04/tiger-blood/#sthash.CstFaPgY.dpuf

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anorexia: The Body Neglected

What, exactly, does anorexia nervosa do inside the human body? The heart and bones suffer the most.

Anorexia nervosa takes an enormous toll on the body. But that's not all. It has the highest death rate of any mental illness. Between 5% and 20% of people who develop the disease eventually die from it. The longer you have it, the more likely you will die from it. Even for those who survive, the disorder can damage almost every body system.

What happens exactly? Here's a look at what anorexia does to the human body.

The first victim of anorexia is often the bones. The disease usually develops in adolescence -- right at the time when young people are supposed to be putting down the critical bone mass that will sustain them through adulthood.

"There's a narrow window of time to accrue bone mass to last a lifetime," says Diane Mickley, MD, co-president of the National Eating Disorders Association and the founder and director of the Wilkins Center for Eating Disorders in Greenwich, Conn. "You're supposed to be pouring in bone, and you're losing it instead." Such bone loss can set in as soon as six months after anorexic behavior begins, and is one of the most irreversible complications of the disease.

But the most life-threatening damage is usually the havoc wreaked on the heart. As the body loses muscle mass, it loses heart muscle at a preferential rate -- so the heart gets smaller and weaker. "It gets worse at increasing your circulation in response to exercise, and your pulse and your blood pressure get lower," says Mickley. "The cardiac tolls are acute and significant, and set in quickly." Heart damage, which ultimately killed singer Karen Carpenter, is the most common reason for hospitalization in most people with anorexia.

Although the heart and the bones often take the brunt of the damage, anorexia is a multisystem disease. Virtually no part of the body escapes its effects. About half of all anorexics have low white-blood-cell counts, and about a third are anemic. Both conditions can lower the immune system's resistance to disease, leaving a person vulnerable to infections.

Anorexia Damage Starts Early

Even before a person with anorexia starts to look "too thin," these medical consequences have begun.

Many young women who begin eating a severely restricted diet stop menstruating well before serious weight loss sets in. Since so many people with anorexia are teenage girls and young women, this can have long-term consequences on their ability to bear children.

"In truly, fully recovered anorexics and bulimics, it looks like the rate, frequency and number of pregnancies is normal," says Mickley. "However, if you look at infertility clinics, and those patients in the clinics who have infrequent or absent periods, the majority of them appear to have occult eating disorders. They may think they're fully recovered, but they haven't gotten their weight up high enough."

Many women with anorexia would rather seek fertility treatment than treatment for their eating disorder, Mickley says. And even among women who have fully recovered from their anorexia and bulimia, there may be a slightly higher rate of miscarriages and caesarean sections. "There also may be up to a 30% higher incidence of postpartum depression as compared to other women," she says.

The Risks of Bulimia

Bulimia, which often goes hand in hand with anorexia, does its own unique health damage. Bulimics who purge by vomiting wreak havoc on their digestive tracts by chronically bathing them in stomach acid, which can lead to digestive disorders like reflux esophagitis.

"It feels like I've been drinking Draino," said one woman who posted to a forum on digestive diseases about the consequences of her lifelong anorexia and bulimia. Some reported cases suggest bulimia may have led to a condition called Barrett's esophagus, which may can lead to esophageal cancer.

Written by Gina Shaw

Reviewed by Charlotte. E. Grayson Mathis, MD

photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759 Posted by Tom Denham 

The reason we ask you to eat breakfast within an hour of waking in the morning is that doing so is critically important to getting your hormones into their proper rhythm. Eating an early breakfast helps you to sleep at night because it helps to raise cortisol levels early in the day, so that they are ready to decline late in the day as they should. Getting your hormones on a good rhythm helps enormously with shedding unneeded fat. So whether you feel like eating or not, it is really important that you work on getting your first meal in early and not delay it until later. You may not be able to consume a full meal immediately, but do what you can and work up to it. 

Eating two meals per day works against getting your hormonal rhythms where they need to be. It is important to eat 3 meals per day for at least one year so that your body can establish good rhythms and you can become familiar what it is like to live this way before you experiment with other ways of doing things that are known to be problematic. 

Dark, leafy greens are as close to greatness as any one food gets. I am convinced that no one dislikes eating greens. What they dislike is the crappy tasting stuff many people cook. I try to eat dark, leafy greens at least once per day. In some seasons I eat them twice per day. This is easy for me because I have learned to cook them in ways that I really like. I would not ask you to eat something that you hate, but if you hate greens, you need to learn new ways to prepare them. 

photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759 Posted by Tom Denham 

The success you are achieving with your Whole30 is money in the bank that you need to spend on additional improvements. You know how to use food as a safe haven, but have you learned how to apply other skills to achieve a safe haven? - Walking away from destructive situations. Enlisting appropriate help. Emotional self-soothing. A lot of us need to spend a few years in a counseling or therapy relationship to develop these skills. Our families did not teach us how to manage our lives in a healthy fashion. You can't learn it from a book or develop it from watching functional families on TV. We need face to face relationships with people who can help us develop skills that were missing where we got our start in life. Like a lot of things, it starts with food, but there is more work to do. You really can do it. 

Did you know that many bee companies use supplemental sugar to feed the bee hives to keep them from starving to death?   Yep.   Our local honey company uses peppermint candy canes...all crushed up to feed the hives.   The nutrition from that honey?   What do you think.   There are very few companies that don't supplement the hives because the colonies are dying.

You'll have to do your research and call around.

"Making and feeding sugar syrup

There are differing views about the correct amount of sugar in syrup. Some beekeepers prefer a ratio of one part of sugar to one part of water, measured by weight (known as 1:1). Others prefer a dense syrup of two parts of sugar to one part of water (known as 2:1). Generally, 1:1 syrup is used to supplement honey stores, stimulate colonies to rear brood and encourage drawing of comb foundation particularly in spring. The stronger syrup is used to provide food when honey stores in the hive are low. Measuring the sugar and water by weight or volume is alright because there is no need to be 100% exact about the sugar concentration.

Heat the water in a container large enough to hold both the water and sugar. As soon as the water has begun to boil gently, remove the container from the heat source. Pour in the sugar and stir the mixture until the sugar crystals are dissolved. Never boil the mixture as the sugars may caramelise and may be partially indigestible and toxic to bees.

Always let the syrup cool to room temperature before feeding it to bees. The cooled syrup can be given to hives using one of the following four methods."

How often to feed

It is normal for bees to remove syrup from a feeder, reduce the water content and store it in the combs as if it were honey. Whatever feeder is used, a medium to strong colony will usually empty it in a matter of days.

For colonies with virtually no stored honey and no incoming nectar, the initial feed will be largely determined by the amount of brood, the size of the colony and to some degree, the size of the container used to hold the syrup. It is safer to over-feed a colony than to skimp and possibly cause the death of the colony. Some beginners have tried tablespoons of syrup, but this amount is much too small. An initial feed of around 1-3 litres could be tried. It is then important to frequently check the combs to see how much syrup has been stored. This will give a guide as to how often and how much syrup should be given. Feeding can be stopped when nectar becomes available.

Properly ripened syrup should have a moisture content of around 18%. Syrup that is not ripened adequately will ferment and adversely affect bees. Colonies with insufficient stores for winter should be given enough syrup to boost their stores before the cold weather of autumn sets in. This will enable the bees to fully process the syrup.

Feeding dry sugar

Medium to strong colonies can also be fed dry white table sugar placed on hive mats or in trays under the hive lid. Bees require water for liquefying the sugar crystals. They will obtain supplies from sources outside the hive and sometimes use condensation that may occur inside the hive. Some beekeepers prefer to wet the sugar with water to prevent it from solidifying. In effect, this creates a partial syrup. Weak colonies may be incapable of gathering sufficient water and feeding of dry sugar to them is not recommended. Regardless of colony size, feeding dry sugar works best during autumn and spring when humidity is relatively high. The hot, dry conditions of summer make it hard for bees to dissolve sugar crystals into a liquid.

It may be preferable for a colony at starvation level to be first fed syrup before dry sugar is given. This will give the bees immediate food without the need to liquefy crystals. Bees will generally not use dry sugar when they are able to collect sufficient nectar for the colony's needs. The sugar will remain in the hive and in some cases will be deposited by the bees outside the hive entrance. A small amount of dry sugar may be converted to liquid and stored in the cells.

Important note

Sugar remaining in combs must not be extracted with the next honey crop. The sugar will contaminate the honey and the extracted product will not conform to the legal standards set out in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code - Standard 2.8.2 – Honey. Ideally, the amount of sugar that was given to the hive will be fully eaten by the bees at the time hives are placed on a honey flow. This is not always possible to achieve. Also, during expansion of the brood nest, sugar stored in brood nest combs may be moved by the bees to the honey super.

Bee-With-Pollen-LR.jpg

Reintro for Beginners Who Want to Leave Auto Mode

STEP ONE: SELF-EVALUATION

It’s Day 31—virtual high-five! You’ve officially completed our Whole30 program. You still have a little more work to do with our reintroduction protocol, but before we move on, take a minute to evaluate your progress so far.

Tally Your Whole30 Wins

All too often when we take on a challenge or a dramatic lifestyle change like the Whole30, we focus on what didn’t go well. Maybe you wanted to lose 15 pounds and you only lost 10. Maybe you wanted to get off your insulin, and the doctor says you can’t just yet. Maybe you wanted to become a “morning person,” but you still need an alarm to wake up.

If you focused on the negative, it might look like your Whole30 didn’t work for you at all. But wait! You still lose ten pounds! And your doctor says your blood sugars are far healthier, and you fall asleep easily and no longer wake up at 3 AM. That sounds like a major win to us!

Don’t deny yourself a moment (or longer!) to be proud of what you’ve accomplished, and give yourself the much-deserved credit for all of your hard work. Remember, the Whole30 is just one step in changing your life—and the benefits continue to roll in the longer you embrace the new, healthy habits you’ve learned.

Should You Continue?

Maybe you just need a little more time on the program to experience the maximum benefit. After all, 30 days is a great start, but you can’t expect to completely correct medical conditions, long-standing habits, or decades of slow weight gain in just one month. Many people report benefitting greatly from adding another 15-30 days to their program—and you’ve come so far now, what’s another few weeks?

So how do you know if you should continue? Generally speaking, if you’ve experienced some benefits from the program but still hope to see even more improvement, consider adding a little more time to your Whole30. This applies to things like diseases (like arthritis, Lyme disease, or diabetes), lifestyle conditions (like allergies or acne), and cravings for sugar or junk foods. If you think you’d benefit from some additional time on the Whole30, keep on keeping on, and return to the next step when you’re ready for reintroduction.

What if Whole30 Didn’t Work? 

We’ve received thousands of glowing testimonials from Whole30 participants since 2009, and most report the Whole30 really did change their life. But the program isn’t perfect (no diet is, universally), and it’s not a miracle—despite the miraculous results some people do experience.

When we hear from those who say the Whole30 “didn’t work” for them, we pay attention. We read their stories, ask questions of these participants, and over the years, have gathered some data on why, for these folks, “the magic” just didn’t come. (At least, not in the way they hoped it would.)

In many cases, it’s not your fault if it didn’t work. And the one thing we want you to take away from this experience is that if the Whole30 didn’t work for you, you are not a failure, and there is nothing wrong with you. It just is what it is… but there are reasons for it.

Read more about six reasons why the Whole30 didn’t work for you, see if any of our suggestions make sense in your context, and try to reframe your experience to acknowledge all of the positive changes you’ve made in the last 30 day

- See more at: http://whole30.com/step-one-finished/#sthash.bjYCwmZc.dpuf

Insulin Resistance

30 Days is Not Enough

Experimenting with insulin resistance

After completing a Whole 90, I took the next step with reintroduction.  I left the auto mode of 90 compliant days.  I dove headfirst into adding food groups that I had eliminated....but I took it very slowly.

I added a new food every day for 4 days and I returned to  Auto Mode of the Whole 30  protocol for 4 days.   I did this for 28 days.    I did not binge on sugar or simple carbohydrates.

My lower and steady blood sugar numbers that I had experienced throughout the Whole 90 began to rise.  Like anything that needs further adjustment, I continued on with my reintroduction.

I've concluded that potatoes, rice, wheat and dairy are simply not worth the increase in blood sugar.  If I want my good blood sugar numbers to continue, I'm going to return to the Whole 30 protocol.    I enjoyed the energy levels and overall sense of well-being.  I was comfortable, healthy and happy.

"Insulin resistance is associated with numerous health risks. For one thing, it causes hyperinsulinemia, or high circulating insulin levels, which may be directly damaging to blood vessels. Hyperinsulinemia is also associated with high blood pressure, heart disease and heart failure, obesity (particularly abdominal obesity), osteoporosis (thinning bones), and certain types of cancer, such as colon, breast, and prostate cancer. In contrast, having low circulating insulin levels is associated with greater longevity; most centenarians without diabetes have low circulating insulin levels.

Insulin resistance is a hallmark of Type 2 diabetes, but it can occur in Type 1 diabetes as well. In fact, there is a growing number of people who are said to have “double diabetes” because, in addition to having Type 1 diabetes, they also have the insulin resistance characteristic of Type 2.

The good news is that you can lower your level of insulin resistance — and raise your level of insulin sensitivity — by modifying your lifestyle choices, particularly your exercise and eating choices, regardless of the type of diabetes you have."

How physical activity helps

Physical activity has a significant positive effect on insulin sensitivity. Indeed,

it may have the biggest effect of any measure you could take to improve your insulin sensitivity. Any type of physical activity has the potential to make your insulin work better, and combining aerobic activities — such as brisk walking, swimming, and cycling — with resistance training, or weight training, appears to have the greatest effect. Aerobic activities burn more calories (and glucose) per session, but resistance training builds muscle, which is what burns glucose during exercise, so having more is better.

Numerous studies bear out the value of physical activity and exercise in improving insulin sensitivity. In a study of lean, sedentary, young adult women (ages 18–35), both six months of thrice-weekly aerobic training and six months of resistance training improved glucose use in the body.

In another study, sedentary, insulin-resistant, middle-aged adults who engaged in 30 minutes of moderate walking three to seven days per week for six months succeeded in reversing their insulin resistance — without changing their diets or losing any body weight (although their body proportions of fat and muscle likely changed for the better).

In a study of older adults in their 70’s, low- to moderate-intensity “walking” on a mini-trampoline for 20–40 minutes four days per week over a four-month period enhanced their glucose uptake by cells without any additional insulin release by the pancreas or loss of abdominal fat.

No matter what your age, weight, or current level of physical fitness, studies have shown that exercise training can improve your insulin sensitivity within just one week of training without weight loss.

Protein Powder

Helpful or Harmful

Cons

"Heavy Metals
“In 2010, Consumer Reports magazine sampled 15 protein powders and drinks and found that most of them had low to moderate ranges of the heavy metals arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. When accumulated in the body, these heavy metals are toxic to major organs. The report found that with especially three of the popular brands, consumers who have three servings daily could be exposed to levels that exceed the maximum limits for heavy metal contaminants.” (Source)

A side of heavy metals with my protein shake? I’ll pass, thank you.
-

MSG
Heavy metals aren’t the only impurities to be worried about. During the processing of high protein foods like protein isolates, MSG is created. “Since it’s not an additional ingredient, but a consequence of the manufacturing process, MSG doesn’t need to be labeled on protein powders. Low temperature drying is an attempt to minimize the creation of monosodium glutamate, yet the end result is still a denatured protein and should be regarded with a wary eye.” (Source)
-

Common Allergens & Additives
It’s no secret that whey protein is one of most common varieties available. Whey can cause extreme digestive stress in many people (myself included), not to mention it’s usually coming from factory farmed cow’s milk…which is in no way close to nature! Even whey protein from grass-fed animals can be brutally hard on the digestive system. (I’ve personally tried this brand after hearing good things, but it gave me a steady chronic stomach ache for over 24 hours.)
-

Soy protein is a far cry from a healthful alternative. Most soy protein powders come from genetically modified crops. Along with whey, isolated soy protein is one of the most difficult ingredients to digest and also creates a very acidic response in the body. Some studies have even found traces of hexane—a byproduct of making gasoline—in soy-based products such as bars, powders, and burgers.
-

Other common offenders in protein powders include corn derivatives, sweeteners (including artificial ones which are a HUGE red flag!), synthetic vitamins and minerals (made in a lab as cheaply as possible), and gums like xanthan, guar, and locust bean. All of these additives might make protein powder a little easier on the palate, but they do a number on the digestive system. And what benefits do we get for our health? Zilch.
-

Over Processing
Simply put, powdered protein is denatured protein. I don’t care if it’s from a cow, a soybean, a hemp seed, or a grain of rice. Protein powder is a processed food and does not occur naturally in the plant world. Hexane, MSG, heavy metals, and artificial sweeteners aside, I think this fact alone should give us pause before throwing back the protein shakes.
-

So what about plant-based protein powders that contain a blend of different protein sources like brown rice, hemp seed, cranberry, or pea protein? Please don’t hate me when I say this, but I think we’re better off without them. Even the “healthy” and/or organic vegan protein powders on the market (SunwarriorNutribioticVegaPerfect Fit, etc.) can be a source of digestion disrupters, heavy metals, over-processed ingredients, lab-generated nutrients, and hazardous byproducts that can be seriously damaging when consumed regularly.

-

Be Careful

If you choose to consume protein powder, then please please please please choose the purest form possible. Do your research! Know exactly what you are getting in the product. If you’re unsure about the quality and don’t receive clear, scientifically backed up information from the company, send  your business elsewhere.
-

If you choose to consume protein powder, please be careful. Here are my tips:
-
  • Do not rely on it. In other words, don’t eat it every day or even every other day. I can’t tell you how many blog posts I’ve read by people in the fitness industry that eat several scoops of protein powder per day. That’s way too much, in my opinion. You’re just asking for a heavy metal overload.
  • Enjoy other sources of whole food protein. Yes, this means you’ll probably have to take a few extra steps to prepare your own food. Grabbing a protein bar or shake on the go is much easier, but the health trade-offs are far from worth it.
  • Eat REAL food. If you picture it growing or living in nature, eat it. If not, don’t.

-

Bottom Line

In our dash-and-dine society, the convenience of protein powder has been welcomed with open arms.

But our cultural obsession with and reliance on protein powders, bars, and pre-made shakes is risky business. There are serious downsides to protein powder that, in my opinion, far outweigh the few pros.

When it comes to our food and our health, eating as close to the earth is the most important thing we can do. If we want to live long and live well, we must place more emphasis on purity, quality, and nutrient-density than grab-and-go convenience.

Our health and vitality matter. We need to start acting like it."

-

dailybitesblog

tan·gent

ˈtanjənt/

noun

1. a straight line or plane that touches a curve or curved surface at a point, but if extended does not cross it at that point.

a completely different line of thought or action.

"he quickly went off on a tangent about wrestling"

adjective

1. (of a line or plane) touching, but not intersecting, a curve or curved surface.

Reintroduction

Staying The Course

I stayed the course and followed the reintroduction protocol for 28 days.  I did not go off on a tangent.    I moved through the reintroduction phase as lined out in  "It Starts With Food."

I did not gain a single pound back by moving slow and steady.  I did not binge or jump into the fire.  One item and one day at a time.   You can do it.

ContentImage-3755-102399-keepcalmanddont

PATIENCE
When you go off your Whole 30, you might actually gain a few pounds at first. "Don't freak out. When you start eating healthy carbs, you may gain some water weight, because some of the weight you originally lost was water, especially in the intro stages," says Samantha Heller, M.S., R.D., senior clinical nutritionist at New York University Medical Center in New York City.

How long do you have to give yourself to adjust? "Give it about three to four weeks," suggests Dawn Jackson, R.D., L.D., of Northwestern Memorial Wellness Institute and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

DON'T GO WHITE
One of the biggest mistakes Whole 30 members make is going back to the white stuff. It's very easy to overindulge in empty-calorie foods, such as cookies, cakes, white bread, potatoes and pasta. "And white carbs are also convenient — too convenient! — available at every turn: in the vending machine, the open box in the pantry, as side orders in restaurants," explains nutritionist Molly Kimball, M.S., R.D., of the Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans.

Instead, make sure your starchy carbs come from whole grains. "When you reintroduce carbs, the whole grains give you a more consistent release of energy, whereas eating foods with refined white flour or sugar may make you hungry sooner," says Heller. Whole grains have a high fiber content, which means you should feel full longer and get more food for fewer calories. "Fiber-rich foods are more satisfying and also lower in calories," adds Jackson. That means, in addition to whole grains, eat plenty of vegetables, which are also packed with fiber.

REVOKE YOUR LICENSE TO FILL Up On Carbs
Just because you go off your Whole 30 doesn't mean you should go out and eat as much as you want of a food that's whole grain or considered "healthy." Even fruit can pile on calories if you eat enough of it — so steer clear of the "free food" mentality.

Be cautious — you might have a tendency to overeat all those foods you denied yourself, not to mention that the increase in variety can also lead to overindulgence. And some high-carb foods have a lot of calories in a very small amount, "so even eating a small portion can add up," says Cynthia Sass, M.P.H., M.A., R.D., author of "Your Diet Is Driving Me Crazy" (Marlowe & Co., 2004).

FUHGEDDABOUTIT
The concept of "net carbs" is history.  If you eat the whole bag or package, well, the weight's going to come right back.

PUMP UP THE VOLUME
One of the biggest advantages of your Whole 30 was eating as much protein and fat as you wanted. 

DON'T FALL BACK 
You have your entire life ahead of you— try phasing out your Whole 30  gradually, so you don't jump right back into your old eating habits. Remember, your low-carb foods do not have to go anywere. Many of them are also low in calories, and if you were already using them to replace higher-calorie foods you had been eating — don't go backward.

CHANGE YOUR MIND
Don't worry about carbs being the enemy and leading you away from the holy grail of ketosis. According to Kimball, "Ketosis isn't even necessary to lose body fat. If it were, no one would've lost body fat with a Whole 30. In fact, if you look at the Whole 30 FAQs, it states that it's not necessary to be in ketosis to lose weight.

DO FAT RIGHT

Just because you're off the Whole 30 doesn't mean you should eliminate  fats. Be sure to include healthy fats like nuts, avocado and olive oils, and limit saturated fats,  cheese and whole milk.

STAY LEAN WITH PROTEIN
Protein is still a nutrient that fills you up and keeps you satisfied. In fact, some research has demonstrated that protein can make you feel full longer than other nutrients.. So keep protein in.

BECOME ACTIVE
A Whole 30 can sap some of energy in the beginning. Because carbs boost energy, reducing or eliminating them can make people feel fatigued and less likely to exercise. There's a good chance that some may have more energy now.  With more energy, you need to move more.

858b41e7-9113-4841-8ffe-7b15288e8b31-460Walking in green spaces can reduce your stress levels and boost your mood, say researchers. 

Pilates, yoga and the classic treadmill get all the attention when it comes to popular ways to stay healthy. There is, however, a more unassuming workout that might not get the column inches, but has all the benefits: walking.

Certified fitness professional Jolynn Baca Jaekel explains: “What I love about walking is that anyone can do it at any age and any fitness level. Plus it is good for your heart, your head and your wallet.”

A recent report by the Ramblers and Macmillian Cancer Support entitled Walking Works  (PDF) details the health benefits of the humble walk. The report found that regular walking to fulfill the 150 minutes of moderate physical exercise every week recommended by the UK's chief medical officer could save 37,000 lives each year. It could also lead to nearly 300,000 fewer cases of type 2 diabetes.

In some cases walking can be more effective than running. Scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, found that brisk walking reduces the risk of heart disease.  They observed participants aged between 18 and 80 over a six-year period and found that walking reduced the risk of heart disease by 9.3%, while running reduced it by 4.5%.

And there's even more good news: 30 minutes of brisk walking over five days could help you sleep easy, according to research by Oregon State University. A study by the university showed that walking helped participants sleep better  and feel more alert during the day.

Getting started

The recommended amount of exercise for adults is 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week. That breaks down to 30 minutes of exercise over five days a week.

Even though 30 minutes is the ideal, Dr I-Min Lee, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, suggests starting with three shorter 10-minute walks each and slowly building up to the 30-minute walk  once you feel comfortable.

The sooner you get started the sooner you’ll notice the difference in your mind and body..

The mental health charity Mind found in their report Ecotherapy: The Green Agenda for Mental Health  that country walks can reduce depression and raise self-esteem. So ditch the smoggy congested route for a nearby park or green space when you head out for your 30-minute walk.

Written by Carlene Thomas-Bailey

Leptin Resistance

" I push the button and tell them to start exercising more with intensity and duration first using weights but never using aerobics. The reason for weight lifting first, is that it generates less ROS in the muscle at the mitochondrial level, and more importantly that it stimulates the release of growth hormone to fire up muscle activity via the neuroendocrine system. It also more quickly reestablishes the Leptin sensitivity of the furnaces that our muscles contain to burn the fat we want to get rid of. As they improve, more weight comes off and the exercise plan increases. So far this plan has not failed me because it is not based upon my opinion. It is based upon our biochemistry that is 2 million years old! Most of my neurosurgical patients get this treatment before I will operate on them because outcomes are better when the patient is metabolically fit for recovery. If you are a patient who is Leptin resistant, and work too hard too quickly with exercise as you drop weight, the risk is generating too much ROS and depleting your stem cell supply. (Levee 17) The short term effect will be weight loss and a good result, but the long term effect may be faster aging and decrease longevity!"

Jack Kruse

Why Whole 30 Helps You 

Become Leptin Sensitive

"Become Leptin sensitive by being required to eat 50 grams of protein at breakfast everyday within 30 minutes of rising, eliminating all snacking especially past 7:30 PM, eating three meals a day, and limiting carb intake below 50 grams per day for about 6 to 8 weeks. In my practice, over the last 5 years, that is about the bell curve I have seen that most patients require to regain their Leptin signaling back. I check Leptin sensitivity by asking a few questions, or by ordering a reverse T3 level.  Small amounts of carbohydrates will not knock these processes down.  Their is a range between 50-150 grams a day based upon the season you find yourself in."

Jack Kruse

Neurosurgeon

Archived