Nekter Juice Bar

hellzajoan

Hello all! I live in California where juicing is quite popular. There's this new place that just opened near my work called Nekter Juice Bar (which is also popular down in South Cali -- I live in North Cali) and there's this drink called The Greenie.

The Greenie consists of: Parsley, spinach, kale, celery, cucumber, lemon and apple.

I know all the ingredients contain all of the approved 30 foods, but is it okay to drink it as 'juiced'? Please let me know! Thanks! 

Started 8/11/14 - Day 1 Completed! :D

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice may be technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.RMCGxom5.dpuf

I would agree with Derval. Eating fruit provides health benefits — people who eat more fruits and vegetables as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases. Fruits provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body. Fruits are sources of many essential nutrients that are underconsumed, including potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, and folate (folic acid). Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar.

@hellzajoan

Thank you so much for visiting nekter! We just recently expanded to the Northern California area and are so excited to be juicing for new fans there! 

Nekter uses only whole, natural ingredients. The Greenie is our most nutrient-rich juice as it contains the most greens. We do not add any sugar or other sweeteners to our drink, that is why the Greenie contains apple to give it that natural sweetness. You can order The Greenie without the apple or you can design your own juice with any of the fresh fruits and veggies we have there! 

Juicing is a healthy way to get a nourishing dose of veggies into your diet and also it promotes healthier eating. It provides natural energy and some side effects include glowing skin and sometimes even weight loss. 

It is true that enzymes start to break down once the fruits and veggies are juiced, but that is why it is best to drink it shortly after it is juiced. Nekter Juice Bar is a healthy alternative to coffee, soft drinks and other juice bars who add sugars and powders to their juices. 

Most all of our juices contain very little fruit as we want it to contain the least natural sugar as possible, but still taste good. 

Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again! 

@nekterjuicebar - Yeah, but I don't think the question was as to whether or not there was added sugar or fruit in it - I think the question is really if any type of juice, even freshly juiced veggies are recommended on The Whole 30, and I believe they are not.

I'm am curious about the moderators opinion of fresh vegetable juice. 

Derval's post from the official Can I Have blog post is spot on here. It is compliant but not generally recommended. To the original poster, how would you be using this juice if you drank it? Would it be as a meal replacement or a snack or part of a template meal? Sometimes with these grayer areas context is king.

Archived