Long(ish) run on Sunday and wiped out since

Hi all. New here. This is the second Whole 30 I've done. I typically eat a Paleo diet but added back in GF oats, brown rice and brown rice grits a couple of months ago. I took time off from running to focus on weight lifting and muscle building but have decided it's time to run again. Decided to do another Whole 30 round as we spent a week at the beach where lots of wine, dark chocolate and taffy were consumed. Felt like I needed to get my sugar monster in check again. So, my newest round began last Monday. On Wednesday I ran to my track workout, ran intervals and ran home. Total of around 6 and some change miles. Most I've done in quite a while. Felt fine. On Sunday I ran a hilly trail run with friends. I ate a cashew banana muffin with some almond butter, some grapes and water before my run. Immediately after I had coconut water and some melon. When I got home (maybe 30 minutes later) I had some leftover stuffed butternut squash. I noticed soon after I felt TOTALLY wiped out. I've felt that way since! Tried to upping my fruits/fats/carby veggies but woke up this morning STILL exhausted. I'm also insanely thirsty ALL the time. As soon as I finish my water my mouth goes dry and my lips even feel dry. Any ideas on what I need to tweak? I didn't run on my last Whole 30 but I did lift weights. I don't remember having this kind of tired going on. I have another track workout tomorrow morning so I'd love suggestions. I'm also thinking hard about training for another half though I'm not totally sold yet. In the past anything over 6 miles would mean me consuming a few Stinger chews on the mile for each mile til I was done. HELP! 

• Moderators

Have you read It Starts With Food and/or the Whole30 timeline? You should expect to feel some low energy for the first 7-14 days. Workouts can take up to 3 weeks to feel like you can "nail" them again. It all depends on the person.

The ideal preWO meal is a little protein and/or fat, and the ideal postWO meal is lean protein and high carb veggies. Fruit is not the best choice because it replenishes liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen.

I'm not sure about your thirst. That is a common sign of diabetes so if it continues it might be something you want to get checked out.

Hey GoJo...I salt my food to taste but that's about it. This morning I did 6.85 miles total (3 were track workout) and felt ok. Energy seems not quite there but def better than before.

If you're still feeling a little foggy, try putting a pinch of salt in your water bottle (you shouldn't taste it but it might help balance electrolytes). I find it helps me, anyway.

Archived