Starting Aug 25th

ashe789

Hi Ashley!

I will be starting with my family on August 25th as well.  It would be great to have accountability partners to help us go through this successfully.  Maybe we should start a thread for people starting on that date as well.  What do you guys think?  I am excited and scared at the same time to go on this journey of better health.  Yesterday I made my menu plan for next week and wrote my grocery list for today because failing to plan is planning to fail!  Now, I just have to get rid one way or another of all he crappy food in my fridge and my cabinet, a task that my hubby is more than happy to accomplish :-)  I hope to get to know everyone better and wish you luck in your endeavor!  Cheers!

I am also starting on Monday the 25th.

My sister has been doing Whole30 for at least a year and her health has greatly improved. She inspired me to change my habits. I'm a vegetarian and will introduce meat into my tummy again. :unsure:  I saw a vegetarian route, but I am thinking that I should go all out here with the 30 days.

Today I will go through my cupboards and make a grocery list. I'm also doing a cleanse of my apartment. It feels like a fresh, clean environment will make this Whole30 commitment stronger for me. Tomorrow evening (Sunday the 24th) I will hit the market and prepare food for the first few days of the week to make it easier.

I love coffee with Almond Milk and a bit of sugar so I'm sort of dreading Monday morning when I cut that out. Green Tea for me - I hope!

Good luck to us! I look forward to checking into this thread and sharing ideas, updates, and humor!

-- Chezzie

Hi There,

I am also starting tomorrow (Monday 25th). I have tossed up whether I should convert to a paleo diet for a while, and I think the whole 30 is a good place to start so I can "cleanse".

I am gluten intolerant but don't always stick to a gluten free diet. I also think I am dairy intolerant but have been too scared to give up cheese and yoghurt. So basically, I have just suffered for a long time. I'm sick of the general bloated and uncomfortable gut feeling. I'm sick of not having the will power or confidence to say no to certain foods. The thing about whole 30 that really stuck with me is "it's not hard!" It really isn't. Making the "good" treats and having "cheat meals" is what has held me back in the past. I can be great 75% of the time, but it's the 25% that makes it all not worth it.

My plan after the whole 30 is to move to a less restricted paleo diet but I believe I need the whole 30 to get me to where I want to go. Anything inbetween hasn't worked so far.

I have been struggling with fertility, gut problems, skin problems and weight problems. It's a long list that could easily be corrected if I really try. My relationship with food at the moment is not ideal and I believe the whole 30 is what I need right now. I want to focus 100% on what I am putting in my body. I don't want to focus on calories, the scales etc.

I did a bit of food planning this morning and headed to the markets to grab supplies for the week. This week is going to be a real test because I am going to be busy with 2 work events. The events will involve me needing to be prepared with bringing my own food, and will also be a test to my will power as the events will involve a lot of non compliant foods, some of which I will need to prepare (for over 100 people!)

Good luck everyone :)

Hi all 

I will be starting tomorrow also. I have been wanting to start for months, but have been putting it off for one reason or another.

My goals for the month is to improve energy levels, smooth my mood out and clear my skin up.

Biggest concerns would be the planning and time commitment. I am a solo mum to 2, and also studying, so buying quick fix food on the go is regular for me. I hope that the money I will save not buying food on the go will cover the cost of welfare meat. I always skip breakfast, or rely on toast, so this I think will be the hardest meal. I don't like eggs so if anyone has other breakfast ideas I would love to hear them  :)

Off to make my meal plan, good luck  :D

I was unexpectedly laid off from work July 31 and had planned to start August 1. After trying the first week the stress of 3 kids in college and a mortgage and being unemployed was just too much so  after careful consideration and reading the post about quitting I decided it was putting just too much extra stress on me and I quit. I didn't go crazy but was definitely not strict. 

Fast forward 3 weeks and I have found what I hope will be my dream job starting Sept 2 so I am committing to jump back on August 25th. That gives me a week of being home, relaxed, knowing that I'm employed and will be able to pay my mortgage and a week of whole30 under my belt before starting the new career.

So I'm on board for an August 25th support thread. Good luck everyone we can do this!

I'm in! I'm finishing up an overseas deployment and though I can't cook my own food I'm finding the choices I have work well for this program and I have some downtime to concentrate of my healthy choices. I'm halfway through day 1 :) Good luck everyone!

Hi All,

I've started my second Whole 30 today! I did my first one in April of 2013 and have been generally good...except for the beer and my trip to Vegas solidified my need to do another "reset". I'm looking to build consistent good habits and cut out the bad ones.

I wish you all the best of luck - though you don't need it ...you got this in the bag!

Michael

Although the rules are quite simple....I feel I have to second guess every choice I make! So far so good though :)

Yesterday was easy. I ate a lot less than I usually would and wasn't hungry at all (i'm used to a lot of snacking, good food, but too much obviously)

I had "bircher muesli" for breakfast which was just seeds, nuts, coconut, apple, coconut yoghurt and some berries and black coffee. Lunch was a salad with spinach, snow peas, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, avocado, walnuts, tin tuna.

Dinner was spiced cauliflower and fennel with baked salmon and pine nuts (delicious!!!)

Does anyone have any good recipe links or websites that are whole30 compliant? I am going to download the book "it starts with food" today, looking forward to reading it and learning more.

ps. I just thought I would have a read of the time line that I saw the other day (but didn't actually read) I just got to day 2 and actually laughed out loud. "Remember that pre whole30 bender you went on? Yeah!" hahaha. I ate asian take away for dinner, chocolate for lunch and raisin toast for breakfast the day before whole30....NOT GOOD. Especially for someone who is gluten intolerant. So silly. I'm excited for what the whole30 has to bring :)

• Moderators

Although the rules are quite simple....I feel I have to second guess every choice I make! So far so good though :)

Yesterday was easy. I ate a lot less than I usually would and wasn't hungry at all (i'm used to a lot of snacking, good food, but too much obviously)

I had "bircher muesli" for breakfast which was just seeds, nuts, coconut, apple, coconut yoghurt and some berries and black coffee. Lunch was a salad with spinach, snow peas, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, avocado, walnuts, tin tuna.

Dinner was spiced cauliflower and fennel with baked salmon and pine nuts (delicious!!!)

Does anyone have any good recipe links or websites that are whole30 compliant? I am going to download the book "it starts with food" today, looking forward to reading it and learning more.

Try to make all your meals fit the meal template, with protein, veggies, and fat. It will help keep you full longer.

For recipes, try The Clothes Make The Girl or Nom Nom Paleo -- most of their recipes are W30 compliant. Moderator Tom Denham has a site of nothing but W30 compliant recipes at Whole Life Eating. Or try the Stalkerville Whole30 section -- but do watch on this one, I've found dessert-y, SWYPO recipes on it tagged Whole30 which really aren't. If you're on Pinterest, I've pinned a bunch of recipes on my Whole30 board

I've just started my third W30 today. I'm not looking forward to the first few days. I've gotten really off track the last few weeks, so I'm pretty sure I get to go through the carb flu and kill all the things phases again. (Check out the W30 Timeline for more on that.) But I know that I'll feel better once I get through that, so it will be worth it.

End of the first day. I hope everyone did well today!

Does anyone have any tried and true breakfast ideas?

I started by skipping my morning coffee with sugar and Almond Milk and decided to play it safe with green tea, eggs and a small sirloin patty with zucchini for breakfast, then a chicken breast and salad for a late lunch. I wasn't hungry for dinner at all, however now as I am getting ready for bed I'm feeling quite snacky. I'll just drink a couple glasses of water and hope that staves off the urge to snack.

ShannonM816, thanks for posting the websites with recipes. I have taken a look at two of the sites over the last few days, and look forward to checking out the other two you mentioned.

Good luck fellow Whole30ers and goodnight!

End of the first day. I hope everyone did well today!

Does anyone have any tried and true breakfast ideas?

I started by skipping my morning coffee with sugar and Almond Milk and decided to play it safe with green tea, eggs and a small sirloin patty with zucchini for breakfast, then a chicken breast and salad for a late lunch. I wasn't hungry for dinner at all, however now as I am getting ready for bed I'm feeling quite snacky. I'll just drink a couple glasses of water and hope that staves off the urge to snack.

ShannonM816, thanks for posting the websites with recipes. I have taken a look at two of the sites over the last few days, and look forward to checking out the other two you mentioned.

Good luck fellow Whole30ers and goodnight!

For Recipes - you can also try Nom Nom Paleo, which has an excellent App cookbook as well at:

http://nomnompaleo.com/

Day 3 is over. So far, so good.

I'm wondering if any of you are feeling the "hangover" that is mentioned for days 2 and 3?

I am not feeling anything of the sort and actually feeling rather terrific. (This has me thinking I'm doing something wrong.) Prior to starting this a few days ago, I was a vegetarian for about 8 or 9 years. No dairy in that time, but I did eat eggs quite regularly and some carbs, nothing crazy, but I did eat carbs with at least one meal a day, if not two. So now I am wondering if that's why I'm not feeling this hangover. I've been following the rules of this Whole30 to a T. Even gave up coffee because I just can't enjoy it without the Almond Milk and two tsp of sugar!

Eating all this meat and some chicken is so DELICIOUS! When I became a vegetarian it was to see if that way of eating would reduce inflammation in my joints, spinal cord, and help with twice yearly bouts of pneumonia and the flu. I have Syringomyelia in my spine which is physically debilitating at times, lesions (neuro is calling them "scars" so I don't get all freaky about multiple sclerosis!), and was just diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. That is simply a fancy word for arthritis in the joints of the hands, hips, shoulders, and knees that also causes muscle weakness. So being a veggie would reduce inflammation and make any pain and stiffness go away. It probably works with some people, but that wasn't the case for me.

I'm hoping the Whole30 is the right path. I'm feeling great. So I hope I'm not eating a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese in my sleep!!

If anyone reads this please let me know if you are having symptoms of the carb flu hangover or if you are feeling energetic as well. Here is where I have found the day by day changes we are most likely going to feel: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Thanks and good luck on day 4!

Chezzie

I was hit with the carb flu and hangover pretty hard on day 2 and it's continued though day 3 and the start of day 4.

Achy and Lethargic, it feels fantastic. At least i know I havent lost my sarcasm since starting.

My diet was pretty shocking pre-whole 30 so I fully expect a rough ride.

I've been following the timeline too, i feel sorry for my friends and family when the next phase hits... Kill all things.

Hope you have a good day 4

Day 3 was rough for me, but I woke up feeling better today. I still had a crappy run this morning, but at least I got it in. My Whole 30 eating was pretty bad, too so I knew I'd have a rough first week. I didn't realize quite how moody and just unpleasant to be around, luckily I don't have to deal with many people this week. 

I can't really drink coffee either because I prefer it with flavored creamer and if that's a no-go then I'll just do without. Good luck on Day 4!!!

Hi! I started my first Whole30 on Monday August 25 and I'm looking forward to hearing about the experiences of everyone on this group and sharing my own!  I decided to do a Whole30 because I was generally feeling pretty crappy - too many headaches, too little energy, just not happy with how my body is feeling, aches and pains that I guess come with being in your 40s.   

First three days have been ok (I'm enjoying an iced coffee with coconut milk right now -- whoever said giving up half and half would be hard??).  But I wonder if I'm eating too many starchy carbs.  I've had at least one banana every day... and sweet potatoes two of the three days... I feel like without them I would be *ravenous.* Weight loss isn't my number one goal with this Whole30 (though I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds...), so maybe it doesn't matter?  

Hi! I started my first Whole30 on Monday August 25 and I'm looking forward to hearing about the experiences of everyone on this group and sharing my own!  I decided to do a Whole30 because I was generally feeling pretty crappy - too many headaches, too little energy, just not happy with how my body is feeling, aches and pains that I guess come with being in your 40s.   

First three days have been ok (I'm enjoying an iced coffee with coconut milk right now -- whoever said giving up half and half would be hard??).  But I wonder if I'm eating too many starchy carbs.  I've had at least one banana every day... and sweet potatoes two of the three days... I feel like without them I would be *ravenous.* Weight loss isn't my number one goal with this Whole30 (though I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds...), so maybe it doesn't matter?

I see a lot of people on the forums are eating sweet potatoes daily. I haven't ventured there yet. Or had any bananas. I'm worried the sweetness of either one might throw me over the edge! Ahahahaha

Archived