Day 7, first whole30.

chrissie

Hello to anyone reading this!   I can't believe I'm here, seven days in and ok!   I was anxious about starting this programme - a life-long member diet clubs and still overweight and unfit, and always rebelling against their rules; subconsciously I think I realised there was something wrong with their restrictions on some foods, but it's ok to buy their manufactured fake food!   I don't even know how I came across the whole30, but I am so pleased I did, it makes so much sense.  

I'm 60, live in England and work full time nights, I know my health was sub optimal but I didn't realise how much my food choices were having an impact on me.  and I am a nurse, so really should have known better!  

I started cutting down on wheat and sugar as soon as I got into reading the book 'It starts with food', so perhaps that is why I haven't had any horrendous withdrawal symptoms, yet :)

What I have learned is I can eat vegetables without horrid gut problems - because I am not having the wheat and sugar.   I lived off bread, pasta, crisps and potatoes, because anything else caused pain, bloating and other very undesirable effects.   Whenever I tried to get healthy by adding veg, I soon opted back out because it was too uncomfortable (and a couple of embarrassing moments too).  No fun at all.   Yet, by removing all the processed stuff I can even eat cauliflower.... that used to really gripe me, so it's wonderful!  (OK, I'm having to have it without cheese for a few weeks, but it's worth it!)

I have also learned that I enjoy really simple meals, and at the moment, I don't need any involved recipes... perhaps that will change as the days go on. But to eat roasts or grills with buttered (sorry, ''ghee'd'') veg, without guilt, measuring or pointing.... I feel Normal!  

Sorry if this is a bit of a waffle, but I know my family would be bored by my excitement and rolling their eyes (I've fallen off more dietary wagons than most) so I am posting this to share my enthusiasm!  I've never lasted 7 days at anything before without tweaking it, or cheating a little bit...  I feel well, and I have a list of meals written that I am looking forwards to having.   I love the forum, there is so much to learn, and so much support.  

I've even been able to walk past all the magazines offering instant weight loss, instant health etc.. by following their eating plan, so I'm saving money to spend on simple good food.   I'm happy today!  I hope other readers can be happy too.   X

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9!

Feeling ok, and learning what I can and cannot do..... I'm finding veggies with breakfast hard - other than traditional tomato or mushroom my stomach revolts at the thought of anything else, so it is egg, bacon (no sugars) mushroom tomato in any combo!   That fills me to lunch, so that's ok.   I have found I'm to the timeline with a bit of gastric disturbance (politely put!) I'm glad it's a sign things are working.  I have found I don't like sauerkraut no matter how good it might be for me!  I'm going off coffee and really wanting just tea or water, has that happened to anyone else?     Today is my second night duty, and I am not needing to eat all night, which is brilliant!  I feel a bit smug as my colleagues feed on crisps and donuts and junk all night and at the moment I don't feel like snatching it out of their hands!   I do feel a bit disgusted at some of the things I used to eat pre W30 (pie sandwich anyone?)   And how long it has taken me to see the light.    I'm still not interested by any other healthy eating books, my body tells me this is so right.   Who knows, maybe I'll start exercising next (other than full time nursing, disabled hubby, home with 2 gardens to care for and 3 young grandchildren.....)!!!

So today; 2 large eggs fried off in coconut oil and with tomatoes.   Soon I'm going to have some roast chicken with a little fried chorizo, kale carrots and celariac , dressed in some ghee.    To work I am taking a huge salad, with good mayo, left over chicken, hard boiled egg and an orange and a few nuts for if I get peckish early morning.  I think this is ok?    

Take care all, x

Day 10!   Early this morning at work at there was a tiny resurgence of craving... wanting to eat just because I could; but only for butter, then cheese.... I was otherwise not tempted by sandwiches and biscuits lurking in the staff fridge, I am amazed.   While I was staring in the staff fridge wanting something compliant to materialise (I had eaten my packed meal) I had a sneaky ''I don't have to do this'' thought!  But quickly quashed it, I WANT to do this, so I can say I have actually stuck out something connected with modifying my diet..... and improving my health!!!!     Then after my nap, I checked the time-line and found day 10 can be a quit day.  Well I'm not struggling so there is no need to quit is there. That is just laziness!    I don't feel as bright and shiny happy as I did on day 7, but I have just done two night shifts and I know I am a bit sleep deprived.  No hunger now, and I've just had today's meal 1 - 2 fried eggs, not a whiff of a veg, sorry to me... (got to remember I am only accountable to me myself and I)!.  I'll make up at supper when I am going to make meat patties, and have 3 veg with that.   Perhaps not template perfect, but sooooo much better than my pre W30 food choices!!!!

Congrats on making it this far! And being strong in the break room!! I am also a nurse (nurse practitioner in the States now) and also, none of the other diets made sense to me. When I was working 12 hour shifts on the floor, I definitely made poor snack choices due to the stress I was feeling. I'm on day 4 of whole 30 and it seems easier every day so far.

Day 11, and still here and still happy!    I have been noticeably more energetic today, and calm. Lovely! 

Fried eggs for meal 1, couldn't face any veg.

2 - we were really busy lifting the old tiles off the kitchen floor and cooking up a dust storm..... so lunch was a snack of a scotch egg and a handful of cherry tomatoes with a dollop of good mayo

Meal 3 is in the oven; a sort of meatloaf with minced beef, grated courgette and grated sweet potato all mushed together with some salt and pepper, I'll serve that with stir fried Brussels sprouts. I've some leek and potato soup  for a starter, just to get some more veg in, not because I'm hungry!  

Tomorrow me and hubby are having a day out with friends who's joy in life is finding coffee shops who sell buttered toasted teacakes, then finishing off a walk at an ice-cream parlour.  I'm going to have to have my extra strong head on!

Hi Chrissie,

Just wanted to say Hello! I am on my Day11 as well, although you are a bit ahead with the time difference. Sounds like you are doing a great job. I am loving this as well. My husband is on Day4 and so far so good with him as well. I bet he lost 5 pounds already! He loses so fast, it is not fair. I am not worrying about the weight, just feeling good that I don't have to track and count everything.

Hello Dana,   I'm glad you are loving it too!   It's near my bed-time nearly now, so that's another one over; I have just sat and watched the 'Great British Bake-Off' and haven't felt a twinge of regret to think baked goods are going to be forever off the menu for me, what a test!  You are so right about how our men loose weight at a blink, but I am with you on just feeling good at no tracking or counting, it is so much simpler to just think of good food.    Well done on getting your husband on board too, that must make like easier for meal planning.   Here's hoping the remaining days go as well and bring us the results we are after!  Be strong, C :)

Day 12, and a bit of a calamity!   My day out started well; I filled up on eggs-for-breakfast so  I didn't want to snatch the food from my friends' hands mid morning; I was happy just to have good conversation and sup my coffee black.   We continued our journey but at the next stop my husband (who has a movement disorder) managed to trip himself up, and  crashed to the ground, thank God he didn't hurt himself seriously - a scraped face and torn muscle in his thigh - but it is his strong leg that he has injured.   Last time he fell badly just 12 weeks ago he broke his jaw, so this crash down got a thumbs up from him, but I felt very shook up seeing him bounce off the ground and thinking the nightmare was going to start again.  Anyhow, we got helped up, dusted down, and kind folk made me a cup of tea, which I gratefully drank without noticing it had a splash of milk in....  So,  I've been having the 'do I start again' conversation with myself, but from reading previous things, and because it was a genuine mistake I think psychologically I am better carrying on and perhaps doing a 45, because I think starting over will be kind of demoralising, even though I don't want to ever return to my old way of eating.  

Food plans went a bit awry because of my mini crisis, but thankfully I had some left-overs from yesterday (bless the left-overs) and for speed I fried up tomato and frozen mushrooms for my veg. (bless the freezer too)!   In my old life I would have just grabbed a sandwich, so I feel pretty proud of myself.  

Since getting home and sorting out hubby, I've made scotch eggs, and put some lamb in the pressure cooker so there's about another 3 days of grab and go food ready just to add froz veggies or salad to, because I am back on night - shift tomorrow night.  I deliberately bought 'bone-in' lamb, and added plenty of water so hopefully I'll get a good stock, too!

Hope everyone is having a good day C !

Day 13, left hubby on the sofa and ventured out for coffee with my daughter.   We went to a lovely deli-type coffee shop, and oh, how  very tempting the foods looked ....   BUT!   I had my sensible head on, and ate before I went; home made scotch egg and salad with good mayo, so I was satisfied and I knew the temptation was in my head not my tummy!

Lamb and veggies later, and then at work another scotch egg or two with salad stuff and mayo and some fruit and nuts in a pack in case I get early morning munchies.  I hope I can still be strong in the staff room! 

Day 14.    I never thought I would get this far.... I hoped I would, but I doubted myself....  I read the timeline at the beginning and wondered if I would be able to deal with some of the possible side effects, the cravings.   Hey, I'm still here!   :) :)  This is doing wonders for my self esteem.  

I'm not quite bouncing like a tiger, but I feel looser in my body, not tight and tense, I do think I feel younger than my actual age, if I don't look too hard in the mirror I think my skin is better - less dry and wrinkled (she says hopefully)!

Keeping my meals simple and acknowledging I will never manage a variety of veg for meal 1 works for me.   I think if I was stressing over adding a ton of veg then, it may have made it harder for me to comply the rest of the time.   Perhaps not totally W30 template, but I think it is in the spirit of the thing, self experimentation wise?

Another night duty over and just one meal + one snack overnight; 14 days ago, this would have been a pack of crisps, then my official meal (usually soup and a sandwich).  Later maybe something cake-like brought in by a colleague and eaten so as not to give offence. About 5 a.m. grab something else to give energy before the morning rush - maybe coffee with milk and sweetener, and a few biscuits.  And if there were any tasty treats in the staff fridge, that would be eaten too.   Basically, over a 12 hour shift, I may have found myself shoving  (literally) something into my mouth 4 or 5 times.   And I would arrive home hungry.    This morning I got home and went to bed; no gazing hopelessly in the fridge for something (never quite knew what).   And last night,  watching my two colleagues eating in the same way as I did, hearing them moan about their IBS, aches and pains etc., I couldn't help say ''try to change your food'',  - they know that's what I'm doing, but looked at me as if I had suggested they jump from a plane without a parachute!   I am trying very hard to not go on about it, not to push it at people and to let the results speak for themselves, but goodness, I do want to!!! :)  

Todays food -  2 eggs (XL) fried off in a mix of ghee and coconut oil - totally lovely.    Roast  Chicken, carrots, cabbage, parsnip a little potato - moistened with the roasting juices.   Take to work tonight another scotch egg, loads of salad, good mayo, chicken and avocado, with some pineapple and a tsp nut-butter, and coconut flakes if I can find any because I'm just nipping out to the supermarket for some carrots and spinach.    Very very happy!

Hi Everybody  Sounds like you are all doing great.  I am on day 8 and i haven't really had any cravings. I miss my coffee with almond milk and sweetner. My only problem with this eating plan is the amount of food I need to eat. I have to force myself and then I feel stuffed and half sick. I am not supposed to lose any weight, so I make sure I eat the correct amount and enough starches and fat. I am just tired of feeling stuffed and sick to the point nothing sounds good. In the past when I ate a diet with a lot of protien I would feel that way.  I hope my body will adjust soon.

I am doing this for health and to get rid of inflamation. I had breast and lung cancer a year and a half ago and am hoping to keep it from coming back.I have osteoporosis now which chemo and radiation may have helped along. I also have all year allergies and take cholesterol meds. I think all of these conditions are connected to inflamation and it is a strong motivator.

I am retired, but I work out with weights and do Zumba and walk for cardio.

I am amazed Chrissie and Mac family that you find time and are doing so well with this.  I seem to be planning and cooking all the time. I think I need to make it simpler and quit trying to do the new recipes as much.

I made a mistake in the begining. I did a cook ahead for the week and did not realize that the beef broth had carmel coloring and my salt had sugar in it. I will just do this for 5 weeks instead of four to make up for it. I agree with you Chrissie it is hard to face veggies for breakfast. I think its easier if I make hash or quich. I am going to try  frittata muffins.

I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Thanks, Mac Family! Hello Ginger10, you have been through a lot with your health and should be proud of yourself for trying to improve it even further.   It cannot be helping you to feel stuffed all the time, are you eating the smallest protein size according to the template?   There is a forum dedicated specifically to medical conditions, perhaps the moderators on there would have some advice?   I find simplicity is the key for me to making it work, I eat very similar foods to my usual tastes  - except cutting out the bread, pastry and rubbish and I just eat the wholesome meals - meat and veggies, some fruit.   And the added fats of course.   I've made some expensive mistakes, buying stuff for some of the recipes, and then finding I didn't enjoy it.  

This is my day 15, it is a Bank Holiday day here in the UK, and a time for family get-togethers, with food involved of course - but since I was at work last night and have just crawled out of bed .... nothing got planned.  my daughter did want to do an 'afternoon tea' for us all, but I dissuaded her!   I'm just going to do a grandma visit later for coffee.   I'm not hungry yet, and I'll be going to bed early tonight as I've only had 2 shifts to do, so I may only get two meals in today, but I had 4 my first night shift day (awake for 24 hours) so it works out in a fashion!

I'll just have 2 eggs (these are XL and HUGE, poor hen!) and maybe some mushrooms soon, and later either left-over roast chicken salad or a chicken and veg hot meal.

Today when I got up from my nap, I had 3 thoughts... 1st was I felt quite well, 2nd was a traitorous 'well, I'm mended of my food issues, so  something off-plan won't hurt", and thankfully a rapid response ''NO! you know the book says it's 30 days for a reason''!     Work  was mad busy last night, and all the nurses out there will know that means meals on the hoof usually.  I managed to munch about half my supper box standing in the staff kitchen, and early this morning got back to the remains - and wasn't able to finish them.  I continue to be amazed!

Happy day :D

Congratulations Chrissie you are half way there. Thanks for mentioning there is a site for different health issues. One site led to another and they had several ideas for not losing weight.

I agree with you on keeping it simple and for the most part staying with what you are familiar with.  I was making it to complicated and almost stressful. I also wasted money and time making a lot of the recipes and then I didn't like them.

While reading the new sites I found out my vit d and magnisium have soy in them. If this keeps up I will have to extend this whole 30 to a whole 40.

I eat maybe a little more then min protien sometimes, I just try to eat as much as I can to keep up my energy and not lose the weight.  I am feeling a little better. Before the whole 30 I was eating smaller amounts at a meal and healthy snacking 2 or 3 times a day. My trainer had advised me to do that and I felt good with that, but that was not taking care of inflamation. I have those traitorous thoughts sometimes. I guess its part of the process.

Hi Ginger10, I'm really pleased those other sites were able to help.  I'm probably going to try for a 40, because of the milk-slipup, and - because I am still basically enjoying this. In the UK doctors  don't routinely do bloods, but I was soooo unwell with fatigue, pains etc. earlier in the year mine were checked, and my inflammatory markers were very high.   Take more anti-inflammatory meds was the solution; which led me here - and though I still stiffen up after being inactive for a while, the rest of me feels much, much better. 

Yesterday evening was my hardest of the W30 up to now, with cravings:o (time-line agin!)  But, I had had a fluffy day eating-wise; I was at mandatory training so I did the right thing and packed my compliant lunch - then after trouble parking I rushed off and left it on the seat of the car - in the albeit weak sun, the car got warm and I didn't dare eat it. The hospital coffee shop sells junk .... I never noticed before - everything was sandwiches, pasties, sweeties, sugary soft drinks... apart from some fruit and water.   So, I didn't eat enough.  Perversely I wasn't hungry at tea-time so I had some lamb and veg but forgot to add any fat.. Hence the late evening almost disaster, staring in the fridge (old habit).    However, I fried up an egg and had some avocado and thankfully that settled the brain back into it's peaceful zen-like state over food.  Which I am growing to love.   How in my past life I wasted so much time wondering what I could have to eat every 2-3 hours.   No wonder I am/was overweight and feeling my age!   Still, it's a great lesson learned about eating enough, and adding the fats.   Today I shall be able to dedicate to me, so into the kitchen I go!       :) 

Hi   I am learning a lot Chrissie with you being a week ahead of me. Like realizing you had forgotten to eat a fat and that may be why  you were hungry. Sounds like you are doing great.

Here the Doctors do frequent blood tests, but I have never had one tell me they did one for inflamation.  Is it a special test or in a fairly common one like a lipid profile. I have them every 3 months so I will ask next time. That would be interesting to know, especialy after doing the whole 40.

I made a butternut squash soup today and it is very good  I have never had it before. The site I found on how not to lose weight had a receipe to make it loaded with calories, but its compliant. It's regular butternut soup and add a can of coconut milk and a can of pureed pumkin. I will have it for supper with some chicken and avacado.

Ohhh, that soup sounds lovely, Ginger10 !    Enjoy!   The blood test  is only done here if inflammation is suspected; lab tests cost money of course, and the NHS is a money eating monster.  Here it is called CRP; C-Reactive Protein,  which is a marker for inflammation, unfortunately the test itself doesn't specify what is inflamed.   The GP then decides that on the rest of your symptom presentation.   Because I'm not a private patient (one who pays) I'll not find out if my CRP has gone down as a result of this way of eating, but because I'm feeling pretty well, I'll assume it has!   Chronic Plantar Fasc. is improving too, amazing.

So here I am about to start day 18.  Despite temptations yesterday, I remained true.    Then, we went out to a place we had never been, and I just sat down and had cake with coffee, totally forgot the W30....  I don't believe it!  Then hubby and I got stressed because we couldn't remember where we parked the car, and I ate another, I didn't believe myself, I really rarely eat cake, this was so out of character :wacko: .   We eventually found the car... and I was sooo annoyed I will have to start over, AND I WOKE UP!   It was The Dream!   Oh, man, I am so relieved!   It was as others reported, really vivid (I still feel guilty ha-ha).  I rarely dream, or remember them, which is why this is so funny.  I am stunned it actually happened, I have been having a fairly smooth ride through all this transition, so smugly I thought because it didn't happen a couple of days ago, it probably wouldn't. Ha!   I'm loving the fact I'm still day 18 and not back to day 1!

I've managed to eat tomato with my morning eggs, I'll have home-made tuna fishcakes and salad for lunch, and my dinner will be something with minced pork; I'll decide nearer the time.  NO Cake will pass my lips! :)

I hope everyone is as happy as me!  

C x

Getting ready for another 3 night-duty ride, I've spent the afternoon in the kitchen instead of sitting on my posterior.    There's a pan of soup made with allsorts of veg that were lurking in the back of the fridge, sweated off in ghee and seasoned with compliant bacon and spicy sausage.   A pan of oxtail stew is simmering away and smells delish.   In the oven I have scotch eggs and tuna fishcakes.   There is plenty of salad veg and frozen veg and I don't know what to eat first!  :).   Being able to be prepared is a huge help, like   yesterday I wasn't able to do as I planned due to a minor crisis, (as always!) but I have cans of salmon and tuna that I can just tip out onto a salad until time comes I can gain control again. And my back up is to always have eggs available.  Thankfully no more dreaming!   I still get a little craving for savoury pastries, sandwiches type things, but they are more like little thoughts that I can acknowledge and move on past today.   

Day 20 tomorrow, oh my!   

oh-oh, day 20, and despite all my prepping, I just want to snack;  I think my meals are getting smaller - less fat again, thoughts are sneaking in of the traitor-type... must keep a grip, as the timeline states ''this too will pass''.  I nearly picked up a WW mag today, just out of habit!   :( :(

You are getting so close! Can I ask what are scotch eggs and tuna fish cakes? I think I've made eggs a hundred ways already but I've never heard of scotch eggs. I'm on day 15 and I have been reverting to breakfast of 2 hard boiled eggs with a handful of nuts and blueberries in the morning. I just get tired of cooking all day. I think I might whip up a quiche or something today. Usually Sundays are my prep days, but husband is gone working so it will be a little more challenging with my son who gets into everything

Archived