do i HAVE to always have use coconut oil? i live in Brasil and i have limited options :(

rafaelax

the coconut oil i find here have a very strong smell and taste, there´s no ghee butter around, no avocado oil and i think canola oil and olive oil are forbidden for cooking in high temperatures, right?? i´m also not a masterchef so everything i do comes out tasting like coconut.. it´s been very frustrating! i don´t want a chicken coconut all the time  :wacko:

is it really all that bad to cook with stuff like canola oil? just wondering...

thanks!!

"Refined" coconut oil has less of a coconut smell / flavor, you could try that?

You can also make your own ghee from butter.

No one says to use only coconut oil, it just happens to be good and generally available.  I also cook with bacon fat, and I've heard others use lard / tallow.

i was just checking out some organic shops online and turns out they sell ghee afterall... but now i was wondering since my cholesterol is a little high (and it is butter afterall - even if a better butter, it is butter), do you guys think i should stick to the coconul oil and avoid ghee?

thank you!

Trust the program as its written.. Did you read the book?? if not I suggest you do.. Gives you a much better why and why not picture than piecing it all together off the internet.  And the book is nice cause you can mark pages that you need to refer to ..   But trust the program and follow the meal template and cook with your avaliable fats.. You'll be fine..

I make my own clarified butter from grassfed butter.  I can share the recipe if that interests you.  If you have access to grassfed butter/cows, maybe you can also get/make tallow.  I read about someone reserving the tallow off of the top of bone broth.  Not the worst idea.  So, if you can get some soup bones, you would have two super-healthy ingredients.

I also second the idea of starting with refined coconut oil for a more mild flavor.

If it comes to olive oil or canola, choose canola.  Avocado is a better choice is you can get it.

Archived