Starting Monday 25th August

ssohappy

Happy Day 15 to you all!

Alissamb, I can so sympathize with wanting to get on the scale. I didn't hide mine, but I did put it on the stairs, where there's no way I could actually get on and weigh myself. That way, I can stop myself if I ever to try reach for it. So far, I've managed to stay away.

I'll continue on like the posts from above and think about my non-scale progress: better skin, amazing sleep, high energy and just the knowledge that I'm giving my body what it needs to do good things.

Best to you all, we're halfway there!

Megan

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea comomegs!! Hide the scale!! Lol ;)

On another note, I'm going to go an extra 15 days! Along with the French fry mess up I also going some hydrolyzed soy protein in a spice I had been using off and on. So I'll just extend it an extra couple of weeks rather than "starting over".

Oh well! It's definitely only going to be good for me!

Today is day 13 for me!!

Happy to report that I was compliant on my birthday, TWO birthday dinners, and at a music festival!!  Whole 30 is quickly becoming a lifestyle choice guys!    I also hit two PRs at crossfit today... I can't believe how amazing I feel and I'm not even halfway done.

Also, added probiotics on friday and my bowel issues (horrible gas, constipation, and bloating) are clearing up.  The timeline whole 30 posted is so dead on its scary.  Out of the bloat phase and i'm feeling like i'm high on something haha

Day 16! Proud of myself for making it this far. I have decided to extend mine to a W60. Yo-yo dieting, obsessive calorie counting and frequent bingeing and then purging because of overwhelming food guilt doesn't go away in 30 days. I have been counting my calories, but that ends TODAY. I'm now just writing what I ate in a notebook. I also haven't purged since starting, hooray! 

Have any of y'all had food dreams yet? I dreamt of mashed potatoes with heavy whipping cream and butter last night. Old school mash that my mom makes. I woke up smelling it! Glad it was just a dream! 

Have a great day! 

Hi everybody! Day 16 for me, and I need some encouragement. I am just starting to get bogged down by how much work this all is. It's not helped by the fact that I barely see any difference in the tightness of my clothes, the fact that my period has been insane this month (and it's not normally) and I feel like I do nothing but cook and wash dishes. I'm also just having a bad morning in general (missed 2 busses, about an hour late for work, didn't have time to make my lunch so I'm making do with something crappy. I've also been making a point to get a lot more sleep, and yet I'm still exhausted and having a hard time getting out of bed. What gives?!?!

I'm following the meal template, definitely getting enough fats and protein, probably need to up by veggies. Not overconsuming fruit. Drinking a ton of water. Occasionally have a snack, but not everyday, and its usually a mini-meal. 

Typical Day Meal

2-3 eggs with about a half a large tomato thrown in topped with half an avocado, 2-3 slices complaint bacon, plain orange spice black tea

chicken salad - canned chicken, homemade mayo, complaint mustard, carrot sticks, cucumber, an apple or a banana, water 

zuppa toscana soup - compliant italian sausage, kale, red potatoes, onion,  chicken broth, coconut cream = about 2 cups worth, water

exercise: 1 hour vinyasa yoga class 2-3x week

I'm not giving up but I am definitely discouraged. 

Hey Elise! First, please come make me that soup! Sounds awesome. You may not be eating enough. Are you having pre-workout/post-workout mini meals? I have found that if I don't follow the workout mini meal part of the template I get really exhausted, physically and emotionally.

Hey Elise,

You could just be different and not following the timeline like me and it just taking longer for the "side effects" to hit you. I'm just now feeling the tiredness and bloating that people talked about happening last week. Don't worry about it and stay on track. It will pass and you will feel better soon. I'm doing a whole60 instead of just 30. I think it will really help me.

Dawn

Day 14!

I've realized that I am definitely eating too much fruit lately.  It's just easier than all the eggs I was hardboiling in the beginning... I need to buckle down a little bit and try to cut my servings in half.

Yesterday I had a banana with breakfast, an apple with lunch, and a banana with dinner again.  I do workout a lot and it helps keep my energy up but I feel that I might be overdoing it a little bit.

Hope you guys are well!  

Hey Elise! First, please come make me that soup! Sounds awesome. You may not be eating enough. Are you having pre-workout/post-workout mini meals? I have found that if I don't follow the workout mini meal part of the template I get really exhausted, physically and emotionally.

Hi Aecuncw, I'll include the link to the soup, I think the only real substitution was to use coconut cream instead of heavy cream and obviously compliant chicken broth instead of boullion.  http://www.food.com/recipe/better-than-olive-gardens-zuppa-toscana-493203  It was super good and lasted several meals for me and my boyfriend.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody! I had a feeling I was going to have to elongate my Whole30. I'm feeling much better post-lunch today, and already planning the lettuce wraps I plan on having for dinner tonight. 

Sorry RE: pre and post workout meals: I typically work out immediately after work so I usually try to have a mini-meal right at the end of my work day on days that I am working out. Then I go home and cook dinner and eat that. So I don't usually do the post-workout but I also find that I am not usually super hungry immediately after working out. It definitely does make a difference in my workouts to have that fuel right before. 

Again thanks everybody! 

Greetings from day 16!

How is everyone's week three going? I'm still sleeping like a rock and the newly found energy I've been experiencing is still keeping me going all day!

I have to rave about tonight's dinner. I made the BBQ sauce from Well Fed 2. Y'all have to make this sauce! I put it on some slow cooker pulled pork and sweet potato. So delicious.

Hope you all are having beautiful days. Love hearing about all your progress!

Megan

Good Morning Day 17 :)

I'm a little sleepy as I went to a major league baseball game last night, didn't get to bed til about one. But I can feel the W30, because while I know I'll be tired today, I'm in a great mood and feeling good.

This is really where I see one of my favorite non-scale/clothes/weight victories: my mood is just smoother and I'm more resilient. I don't have any pre-existing depression or anxiety but I'm just generally happier and less irritable when I eat this way. The weight of the world seems much lighter.

I tried one new recipe this week, for a chicken enchilada -type bake. Not sure I liked it. But now I have to eat it. I'm hoping my husband went through a lot of it last night when he was home alone.

I'm hoping it cools off for the weekend here, I'm ready to make a pork loin or roast beef. I don't have air conditioning, so there's no turning the oven on for hours at a time until it cools a bit....

Day 15

Non-scale victories:

• I do not bloat up to the size of a pregnant woman!!  
  • My size 6 pants fit again and two of my size 4 pants fit (i think they are made big but I do love that)
  • My face is clear
  • My eyes are bright
  • My morning energy levels are unreal
  • I sleep really well
  • I don't crave sugar 
  • I have PRed every movement in crossfit the past week.  
  • My BMs are normal

I'm super curious about weight loss but since my pants all fit again I'm not too worried if it is a small number.  I only have 10 lbs to lose to get to my 'happy weight' and then another 8 lbs to lose to get to my 'wedding goal' weight.  I have until August to lose a total of 18 lbs.  However, with all the lifting I do, I'm learning that I look really good at a heavier weight compared to what I looked like when I was running 40 miles a week (that's the number I chose for my wedding goal weight).  I love being strong!

Hello there. Kinda fell off the forum, but I didn't fall off the w30!

Day 17 and truckin' right along. Nice thing, coworker who've I've discussed w30/w9 with, she's currently doing Wheat Belly, commented/complimented me that my face is noticeably slimmer. :)  Wore a dress on Monday that I have worn over the summer but have not been happy with (but it fit just enough and was work appropriate so... :( ) and it fit So much better! Didn't get caught on my chest, I wasn't pudging over in back, and I got a few compliments! I don't have a scale at home so not weighing hasn't been an issue. But when you're just used to not liking the way you're looking, it's easy to not notice for yourself these little changes.  And it struck me that I've worn a dress/skirt 3 days in a row and don't have rub burn on my inner thigh! So yes, Definitely enjoying some non-scale victories.

Last night was a little tough. It was so lovely out, and knowing we were in for a storm today followed by cooler weather (which I don't mind) I really just wanted to go sit on a patio downtown with a last hurrah to summer adult beverage.

Happy day 17, folks!

So glad to see that so many of you are celebrating non-scale victories. For me, the amazing sleep and great energy have been priceless. I'm also feeling my clothes fitting a bit better and my skin is much less cranky :)

Food is becoming easier to throw together and prep is still key. I found my mind drifting to old sugary treats a couple of times today, but that's normal I'm sure and I never came even close to giving in.

I have a little sheet up on my desk at work where I check off each day of the Whole30. I can't believe how many check marks there are! I'm also feeling much less anxiety about reaching day 30 and know that I'm building the skills I need to keep going beyond.

Hope everyone has had a sensational day.

Megan

Day (18) holy mess! I can't believe I made it this far! 

I'm struggling a little bit with not counting calories. It's so hard not to obsess! 

Because of the gator game last week, I wasn't able to do much food prep, so my dinners have been pretty sub par.  I'll have the same problem next week. Im hoping to be able to do some food prep Friday night/Saturday morning. 

Those are my negatives for the week. 

Positives much outweigh the negatives: I have much clearer skin, Smaller pants fit, I feel more alert, and I hit top 10 on 4 segments of a local bike trail on Strava (and they were CLIMBS!). 

I'm joining my local YMCA next week, I'm hoping to be able to swim some laps and get more work outs in. My apartment gym just isn't cutting it. 

Happy day 18 everyone!

Last night I did a mini cook up. My plan was to roast some sweet potatoes, make chicken curry clafouti from Mark's Daily Apple, cook some sausage (for breakfast & to freeze) and prep up some country ribs for my slow cooker. My apartment kitchen is pretty tiny with minimal counter top space, so keeping on top of dishes and stuff is key. I was doing pretty good. Until my jar of coconut milk (I always pour into a glass jar for storage) slipped as I was putting it back into the fridge and met my tiled floor. I like my apartment floors, they're quite pretty and fit the old building, but maybe marble tiles (with grout) weren't the best choice for a kitchen :( . Let me tell you, if you haven't spilled a large quantity of coconut milk yet, Don't! Even without glass shards it's a pain in the tookus. It's so....Viscous. It defies absorption.   :wacko:

Add on top of the frustration the simple sadness of the waste.

But, I cleaned it up and managed to get the potatoes, clafouti and sausage taken care of.

Happy day...18! Glad to see everyone's progress. We're Doing it!

Hi Everyone

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. Was busy all day yesterday cooking and watering the orchard. I made the Italian sausage eggplant strata and the velvety butternut squash in WellFed for dinner. It was all really good. Just took awhile to cook it. Going to make some meatballs and cabbage for dinner tomorrow. Still need to make the BBQ sauce for the pulled pork. Kinda bummed today. Just not feeling very energized at all like I have been in the last few days. It is gloomy outside today, so maybe that's it. Plus I have a lot of yard work to do. All this rain we've been getting this last month has really got the weeds growing.

So is anyone one here going to do a repeat of the W30? I'm doing it at least 60 days. Not looking forward to reintroducing new foods just yet. I know something is causing me to bloat real bad so I'm not looking forward to eating that again and blowing up like a balloon. Although I do need to find out what it is so I know not to eat it anymore. Just scared it's bread. Not worried about the dairy cause I know I already have a intolerance to that. We eat a lot of pasta and tortillas though. Being in New Mexico that's a big thing. Oh well, If that's it I will adjust!!

Anyway got to go move the water to the next tree so I will get off of here. Check back in later. Everyone have a great day and stay on track.

We can do this and will

Dawn

I've been thinking about just continuing my W30. I've done the W30 before with a really informative re-intro of foods. I know dairy is a problem and should be a limited presence in my life. I know that grains cause me some issues (heartburn and constipation) and are really just foods without brakes for me. Beans just upset my stomach, it's a quick thing and passes (ha!) but I really don't miss them so why eat them?

I have a sugar dragon so I just feel better when I'm eating like this. I do miss cocktails, but those were less than weekly anyhow.

I guess I'm unsure, but certainly pondering just going on with my W30 until presented with something...

I'm feeling pretty great. Skin is lovelier, though it was generally pretty good except for monthly hormonal breakouts on my chinline. I am now able to wear 4 pairs of jeans I could not wear since last winter. I've got about 6 pairs I'm working towards yet :)  I just feel better, through and through.

Good Morning! Happy it's Friday, and enjoying this cooler weather. Though it made it harder for me to get out of cozy bed, the cat was all prepared to snuggle in :) Sleep continues to improve. I've gone 3 nights in a row without waking up at all!

A little crankers because I ended my day yesterday with a dentist appointment and I'm still sore/off feeling. Sweet potatoes/coconut milk (brekkie) and Clafouti (dinner last night & lunch today) to the rescue. Left out the sausage this morning, too much chew. Super thirsty feeling, but after drinking a lot of water I have a bit of heart burn. Ok, that's my poor-me-pity-party.

In the past I've done the reintro schedule and know what bothers me. I don't really miss bread, and know that if I eat too much I get gassy and cravings for other stuff kick in. I don't have a typical sugar dragon, more of Snack dragon. I plan on keeping to the template to avoid snacking. Beans/legumes aren't greatly missed, besides peas :) and occasionally peanut butter. My first w30 got me off my JIF only and I found a just peanuts one that I use with the odd baking and apples/bananas (it's cheaper than almond butter). Dairy is something I don't use much of so not really missed.

While not planning on officially extending my w30 I do plan on staying on it until something arises. We're already planning our Halloween party to be Paleo (not just paleofied treats though) with more protein/veg options. Halloween is my "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" so there will be some exceptions made.

Hi Everyone,

Doing pretty good today. Had good energy today, but tired tonight. I made BBQ pork chops, cucumber salad and spaghetti squash for dinner. The BBQ sauce was ok but I miss my Baby Rays. Of course its full of sugar though.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Dawn

Hi all!

Can't believe day 21 is here already. I'm all prepped and ready for a busy week and have the fridge stocked.

I'm so happy to report that my reintro anxiety has pretty much disappeared. I know I won't be 100% compliant forever. I know that there are times when I'll have a piece of toast or an ice cream cone. What I also know is that I'm much more prepared to make those decisions thoughtfully instead of mindlessly. It's comforting and quite awesome.

Hope you have all had beautiful weekends and head into the homestretch feeling motivated. You all are amazing!

Megan

Day 22! I will not be reintroducing on day 30. I plan on staying whole 30 until my friend's wedding on Oct 25. 

I somehow survived another football weekend in Gainesville (Go Gators!). While the beer and chips were plenty, I enjoyed my own bunless tailgate burger with a cucumber salad  and water with lemon. I suppose I enjoyed the burger and cukes more than the water. I have always been a social drinker, so it was pretty difficult to not have a beer or whiskey. 

I tried for someone to give me an exception. My friend is primal is does whole 30s off and on. I asked if it would really be really that terrible if I had red wine. She reminded me how close I was to my 30 days and to focus on my NEEDS and not my WANTS. I'm happy I had her guidance, because I know none of my friends at the tailgate would've stopped me. 

At the end of the long football day the gators were victorious, I had lost my voice, my hands hurt from gator chomps, and I was still w30! 

Day 22!!

Day 22. Had a lovely weekend, managed to go out to lunch with a friend and then had a delicious Sunday dinner at my sister's. She's also doing a w30 :) Fall cooking is easier (for me) to do, especially since potatoes are now allowed  :D. Roast with carrots, potatoes, onions and leeks, salad, & green beans with dill, mustard and scallions. Yummy!

For those on your first and 'worried' about reintroductions....it's good to see some of you are getting more comfortable with the idea. And remember, if you truly haven't missed something you don't Have to reintroduce it. (I remember on my first there were quite a few people saying things like, I didn't eat bread before, do I Have to include it in reintro?) And it can be tempting to speed up the process but really, follow the timeline for reintro. That way you'll have a much better idea if those cravings/mood swings/break outs/gas/bloating are triggered by gluten grains, dairy or non-gluten grains. I don't consume much dairy in regular eating, but made sure I did a full day of reintro. And then ate on plan the next day to know that the break out I got on day 3 was from the dairy.

And if you find yourself falling face first into ____ you can always do another w30. I have periodically done a w14 here and there to "reset" myself. Remind myself how easy it really can be to say No to doughnut and Yes to tasty sweet potato hash.

And as the Hartwigs say it's ok to extend beyond 30 days. But remember their idea isn't Whole365 or WholeForever :ph34r:

Just my 2cents. Everyone have a fantastic Monday. B)

Archived