Starting Monday 25th August

ssohappy

Day 20!

Feels so good to be home after travelling for 7 out of the past ten days.  

I am going to run errands and reload the fridge today!  Speaking of re introductions, I'm very nervous to reintroduce whey because I have a sneaking suspision that it was causing some problems.  That and gluten.  I have weird food allergies (all tree nuts, peanuts, sugar snap peas) so I won't be surprised if I don't react well to those foods.  I keep telling my fiance that I can't wait to reintro stuff and he goes 'Really?  You seem so happy on this that I just thought you'd do it forever."  Great compliment!!  I am going to continue eating as close to whole 30 as possible but with some Swypo :)  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, people are funny. Today at work we're having a Hispanic Heritage celebration, with food of course. I just went and fixed my plate of shredded chicken, tomatoes, peppers and lettuce. I brought my own salsa and guac. As I was leaving the food room one of the gals stopped me and said I'd missed half the table. As if I couldn't see all of the tortillas, chips, rice, beans and various desserts. I was just like "thanks but I can't eat most of that. I'm quite happy with what I have". Not to be deterred another chimed in with "my tortillas and tortilla chips are Home Made..." I just said "that's quite a skill and I'm sure they're delicious but I can't eat them. Thanks though". Smiled and walked out.

I slept in my Aunt-in-law (is that the word>) house this week and she cooked us so much food.  I told her I couldn't eat the breaded items because of health reasons.  It's true, i'm trying to figure out what I'm intolerant to and what is causing me to bloat up like a hot air balloon.  I found that the 'Its for health reasons and not permanent' really helped.  To me, Whole 30 isn't a diet, it's a way i'm trying to heal my body.

NinjaSarah I went through the "what do you mean your not...." this weekend. I actually got some pretty rude remarks because I wasn't drinking. You handled the situation very well!

Thanks aecuncw.  I'm sorry you got some rude remarks. I'm always amazed how people react, how often they take it as an attack on their choices.

Hello all, realize I haven't checked in, in a while. It's Day 22 :)  Sort of just cruising along, feeling well. Had time to make a pot of chili this morning, so I'm looking forward to dinner being tasty and already to go. I'll be taking a road trip to Virginia this weekend with my husband. I'll be sticking to my W30. I made a plan last week, for packing a cooler and staying compliant while eating out. My guy's being very supportive. Of course, when I thanked him for this last night, he thought I was being sarcastic (as he'd just had a McDonald's milkshake and cookies while sitting on the couch with me). I told him no, he can eat what he wants but I appreciated his not keeping junk food in our house. He went out for his treat. And I really appreciate that.

Hi everyone! Happy day 22!

22 has always been a lucky number of mine and I'm enjoying the last full week of Whole30. Meal prep yesterday went so smoothly I felt like I was forgetting stuff!

Just wanted to check in quickly and wish you all an incredible day 22. You all are amazing.

Megan

Happy Day 23. Busy week with a trip out of town with my husband this weekend. Meals for the week are already made chili and leftovers from Sunday dinner (grass fed beef roast, roast veg (potatos, carrots, leeks, elephant garlic), green beans). Got to empty the fridge before we head out to Virginia on Thursday evening.

Wednesday night I'll be making some breakfast meatballs for the trip and hardboiled eggs. I'll pack a cooler full of W30 goodness (sparkling waters, iced tea, eggs, meatballs, raw veggies, apples, maybe some nuts). I've got a plan for eating out.

In no time at all, it will be day 31!

Day 21!

I can't believe i'm at the final stretch!  I'm having some pretty bad cravings though.  I spent almost an hour on Pinterest last night finding paleo desserts to make once this thing is all over.  Of course I reference the timeline (http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/) and see that i'm doing just fine.  A girl at my gym is doing a 10 week paleo competition and has 9 more weeks to go.  She wants me to do it with her so I'm thinking of trying it out.  That would push the reintros back some but I'm in no rush.

How are you guys planning to eat once this is all over?

Edit to add:  I have bananas in the oven... trying to make the banana chips that Whole Foods sells!

Hi Folks! 

Day 23 and feeling pretty good. I am struggling to get my veggies in, but I've dropped a size in pants so I am pretty excited about that! One other thing that's interesting is that I am back to eating the amount of food I was when I was first dating my boyfriend (aka, pretty small amounts) not because I am restricting in any way but because I am just eating until I am full. This is also pretty exciting! I am taking this to mean that I have the appropriate amount of nutrients in addition to calories. Going to focus on getting more veggies into my life but I'm also pretty excited to ease off of this a bit next week. 

Hope everybody is feeling good! 

Day 24 and I'm exhausted. I start my day around 4 am so not being able to sleep until about 1 AM because of stomach cramp is really just not acceptable. I haven't had any problems up until now. I didn't have any stomach issues thus far until about 30 min after dinner last night. I am apart of a women's volunteer org. and we had a social at a local tavern and tap. I had a lamb burger with no cheese, no bun with a side of plain steamed broccoli ( was probably half a head).  I did notice that the broccoli was not completely steamed, it was fairly raw. I know I have not been drinking enough water the past few days. 

what do y'all do to ease stomach pains? I took Immodium last night, but I believe that was a mistake. It seemed to make the problem worse. 

I'm a little afraid to eat any veggies today; I can't imagine getting hit with that pain again at work. 

Day 24 and I'm exhausted. I start my day around 4 am so not being able to sleep until about 1 AM because of stomach cramp is really just not acceptable. I haven't had any problems up until now. I didn't have any stomach issues thus far until about 30 min after dinner last night. I am apart of a women's volunteer org. and we had a social at a local tavern and tap. I had a lamb burger with no cheese, no bun with a side of plain steamed broccoli ( was probably half a head).  I did notice that the broccoli was not completely steamed, it was fairly raw. I know I have not been drinking enough water the past few days. 

what do y'all do to ease stomach pains? I took Immodium last night, but I believe that was a mistake. It seemed to make the problem worse. 

I'm a little afraid to eat any veggies today; I can't imagine getting hit with that pain again at work. 

That's a bummer. You definitely need some more sleep!

You could drink some carbonated water, sometimes the fizz will help settle things or help to expel the gas you may have from broccoli. Do you normally have a problem with cruciferous veggies?

You said you took Imodium, so I'm guessing you have some diarrhea as well. It's possible you got "dosed" with something (dairy, soy, wheat) that doesn't agree with you at the restaurant. Or, given that the broccoli wasn't steamed well, it could have gotten contaminated in the kitchen and you could have some food poisoning.

I'd recommend some easy to digest veggies today, like soft well-cooked carrots or squash or sweet potato. Those are so easy on the digestive tract. I'd say some chicken soup might be just the thing, but your schedule sounds a little busy to whip that up at home.

You can try a heating pad or heated corn bag on the stomach, that can be a great thing for cramping. Make sure you get enough fluids today, and might find some mint chamomile tea soothing overall.

Hope you feel better soon.

Good morning lovely Day 24 :D

Seems a natural point to think "what next". If you're doing your first W30 (or it's been a while), be sure you follow the reintroduction schedule. They've even added a "slow roll" re-intro and I really like that. It spaces out the groups more, with like 10 days to 2 weeks in between back on the W30 before doing the next group. I think it sounds like a really great way to pinpoint any food issues. I also love the idea of keeping a journal for the whole re-intro, I think that would be especially helpful for those small problems that can creep up on you and for the psychological food issues.

Dairy for me (when my Crohns Disease is under control) is not really a big deal in small doses. So I'll start eating and enjoying more and more of it. Until I suddenly am just "blerg", I'm getting minor annoying breakouts, I'm sort of allergy-sniffly all the time with what I call the "puppy dog" wet nose, and the under-eye circles really make a strong showing. But these things creep on so slowly, that I am inclined to dismiss dairy as the problem (because so much of it tastes so good). So I can really see the value in the "slow roll" re-intro.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to keep with the W30 after day 30, maybe for a few more weeks. And then: ?? I'm thinking basically paleo with occasional cocktails. I'll probably go back to ketchup and worcestershire sauce. Other than that, not thinking about changing much in the food department. And NO pop (soda pop and I have an unhealthy relationship)

What do you see for your post W30 eating?

Day 22!

As for post whole 30, I see myself eating close to whole 30 but with some Paleo swypo.  I miss my protein shakes and smoothies after crossfitting too.  I mentioned in my other post that my gym is doing a mystery food challenge that starts soon so I'm sure i'll do whatever that is.  It will be nice to eat healthy with a group of people.

I am cutting seeds out for this last week.  I have been relying on sunflower butter to get me through parts of the day and wanted to post this here so I can at least keep myself accountable.

I'm happy with my results but I know the whole seed thing is holding me back.. I am also excited to report that I wore my first pair of booty shorts to crossfit last night.  It's funny, the gym is divided between booty shorts, running shorts, and yoga pants.  I've been wanting to wear the booty shorts because they are easier to squat in but I didn't have the confidence... whole 30 gave me what i've been missing!  They looked good too!

Good Morning Day 25! Not much to say really but just checking in. Seems like we've all been quiet lately :) Hope everyone is still doing well, we're in the home stretch!

I will put a plug in for the emails. If you haven't done the daily emails yet and you do another w30 I strongly recommend them. They have great daily tips, explain why you're feeling what you're feeling and are eerily accurate on the time line. Plus the little "I did it!" link at the bottom of each is a nice fun boost for everyday. I actually kept my batch and revisist them occasionally. They're chock full of recipe ideas and links to help with boredom, exercise and Fun ideas, and a nice bit of sass. :D

I just started the free Wholesome emails, I believe they're weekly. Nicely packed with "Dear Melissa" links to articles & blogs, various bits of this and that.

Day 23!

Since cutting seeds, my appetite is through the roof!  I've been trying to follow the template and get enough food but I feel like there is a pit in my stomach.  I've also had a week of really hard work outs but still, i didn't think that cutting out sunflower butter would be this bad!

Found out my gym is trying to do a whole 30 challenge in october.   I suppose i could do another one lol

Also, signed up for my first half marathon today!  It is March 15th!  I'm going to try to continue crossfitting 4 times a week and try to fit in 3-4 runs a week.  

Still chugging along. Looking forward to the weekend, I start my Halloween decorating tonight :)

Looking forward, (and in way looking backward ;) ) I am going to use the next 30 days to work on saying No. I've gotten quite adept at saying 'no thank you' to offers of food. Now I need to start working on asserting myself elsewhere and protecting my space. At work we are Constantly having events. And today someone came up and asked if I could help with yet another luncheon. I promptly said yes and started kicking myself. I just suck at saying no to that kind of thing and then get annoyed.

Hi everyone-

Ready to head into the final Whole30 weekend! This means one more football Saturday remaining completely compliant.

Elise, I know how you feel about reintro. I know I won't be able to do a full two week reintro, but I'm going to try dairy first. Then I'll be traveling for about two weeks, so I'm just going to try to keep myself under control.

I am feeling more confident in being able to make better choices now. I've only had a few cravings in the past week, and most of the time when I think of something I would normally dive into, it doesn't sound as appealing. This is a huge and welcome change.

Have incredible weekends and let's finish strong!

What day are we on? I've kinda lost count... haha! But, I suppose, that's a good thing. Good habits are sticking and feel more like life than a challenge. Such a great weekend that included ikea and a new membership to my local YMCA. 

Thankfully the awful night I had of stomach problems last week has long passed. It only lasted for about 5-6 hours. I think it was either I ate something I shouldn't have without knowing or food poisoning. It left as quickly as it came. Smooth sailing since then. 

I don't think I am technically going to do a whole60, but I won't be straying too far from the path. I don't miss grains or dairy. I think they'll be more like "special occasion" food like my mom's cheese ball at thanksgiving dinner and homemade pasta on our anniversary. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

It's Day 29!!!!

How awesome for everyone that you kept at it. I really encourage everyone to focus on how you feel and how far you've come. It can be easy to dive right back in to old habits, but then you'll be right back to feeling not so great (or flat out bad). Really keep to the re-intro plan. It helps going forward, to make good informed choices about what you're putting into your body.

Hope that everyone has a great Monday and first day of fall.

Great blog post today by W30 about non-food rewards.

What non-food ways can each of us treat ourselves to celebrate our accomplisment?

I'm definitely going for a food processor. Which is sort of a gift to me and my sister as I'm always asking her to rice my cauliflower in her food processor (and she makes me mayo, but I'll keep asking her for that I think... :ph34r: )

And I think i'm going to arrange a spa day for my sister and girlfriends this Friday. I'm thinking massage and facial..

Day 29 Woohoo! I hope everyone is going to post their results here in addition to the results board. 

Ginsinnot: I am honestly not sure I could have done Whole30 without a food processor. I LOVE mine. And seriously, the mayo is not tricky at all. On the cylindrical pusher thingy there is a tiny hole in the bottom of it that is the perfect drizzle. When you are ready to drizzle the oil, just fill that thing up and let it do its own thing. I make mayo once a week now. 

The last week or so I have been having some terrible heartburn! Not sure what that is from, but I've never had it before and hope to never have it again. 

Positives though: I've definitely dropped at least one clothing size. A dress I bought right before as a reward for completing whole 30 that was too tight is now the perfect amount of form fitting (not even tight, just skims the body). So I am THRILLED with that. My skin has cleared up almost completely. Energy level is generally good as long as I get enough sleep. 

Hi everyone!

It's so great to hear about all your successes as we wrap up the Whole30! The fact that we've made it to Day 29 is fantastic and I'm proud of all of us.

I'm in that part of the timeline where I start to think 'what am I supposed to do when this is over!' and then I remember that I have plenty of food for the week, some dairy to reintro and plenty of plans for staying on track for while I'm away for two weeks. Then my brain calms down and tells me I've got this.

I will say I'm excited to sit down tomorrow night and make a list of my victories. I'm a devout list maker and being able to tally up successes is going to keep me on track past the 30 days. Can't wait to hear about all of your successes too!

Megan

Archived