Trader joes coconut cream and kumbucha?

alissamb

The tj'e coconut cream ingredients are coconut extracted, sodium carboxy methyl cellulose (what the flip is that!!!???) xiathan gum and water. Allowed or not allowed? I would have thought no, but I remember some whole 30 person somewhere recommending it!

Also what about kombucha? Any sugar in the ingredients obviously is eaten up by the "mother" (or the symbiotic fungus bacteria) soooo... It should be fine, right???... I hope! ;)

Found an answer on the kombucha! ;)

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that’s a no-go. Some varieties, like GT Dave’s Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.SChpKbUI.dpuf

...still wondering about the coconut cream!

• Moderators

I prefer my coconut cream without additives, but that sciencey sounding stuff is acceptable. Try Wikipedia for an explanation of what it is.

Kombucha can be tricky. When the macro break down of kombucha lists 2-4 grams of sugar, you are probably okay. If it lists a lot more, sugar was probably added after the fermentation process to make it sweeter. You should not drink the sweet stuff. Whole Foods often has 15-20 different kombuchas on offer when I visit. Between 1/3 to 1/2 are too sweet - probably have added sugar. 

Archived