Food Reinvention

What kind of foods have you reinvented?

Last night I bought some organic sweet italian chicken sausage links.  I typically don't like sausage in the link form so I removed the casing, made it into a patty, added some seasonings and fried it with a misto of EVOO.  It turned out amazing.  I'm so glad I thought of doing that rather than eat it and not really enjoy it in it's original form.

Please share your stories.

Had a breakthrough this week with my not entirely on the bus wife.  For years, we've made sausage, green peppers, onions, potatoes, garlic, EVOO/OO and typical italian herbs.  Before I punted spuds, we were using chicken sausage.  Now, I found that not only can I totally tolerate cauliflower as Mr. Potato Dead, but both of us agree it improves the dish.

Layer it in a shallow 13x9 dish: onions, peppers, cauli, sausage (so they burn on the edges a bit and gravity brings their goodness into the veggies) then carpet bomb it with minced garlic and give it a good soaking of oil.  375 degree oven, hour and 20 minutes, poke it around every 30 minutes but leave the sausage on top to crust up.  Stir it all up before serving and every bite is magic.  I fill up on two serving spoonfuls.

Exact amounts of what and what?  Nah, it's all up to your taste and what you love.  Like burnt onions? Put 'em on top, but know they taste amazing at the bottom too when they soak up all the other flavors.

Archived