Dried Fruit

mandykath

I know right off the bat it's not a great option.

On my first Whole30, I only had some on a weekend I went winter camping/hiking, where we were instructed to eat twice our usual amount of calories in order to stay warm. We snacked on a nut & apricot trail mix throughout the weekend trip and it actually really screwed me up for a few days afterwards - not recommended. I learned my sugar=sugar=sugar lesson that week.

However, some recipes - I have my eye on this lamb stew - ask for a quarter or half cup of raisins or dates or prunes or what have you. Do you think in small quantities it's a legitimate addition to a meal?

Akemdin,

I think would be a great opportunity to check out your reaction to the dried fruit in a different context. I know that I have more trouble with dried fruit when I eat it alone or in combination with nuts. I say go for it and pay close attention to your body's reaction.

When it's not the main focus of a meal during the Whole30, I don't see it as a big deal. However, as Robin points out, fructose malabsorption may be an issue (especially if nuts are already irritating the gut). You will have to see how you react, but it is not uncommon for dried fruit to create excess flatulence and loose stool.

There's a difference between eating them straight-up vs. part of a larger meal. A quarter or a half cup of dried fruit spread across a meal with (I'm assuming) at least four servings isn't going to be a big deal...just don't over-do it on that one meal! Plus, if adding to a stew or something, you'll have some protien to help balance out the immediate carbs of the fruit.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived