Sodium Lactate (From Beets) in Sausage?

lydibug

Greetings!  It's my Day 3 and now that the sugar withdrawal headache is gone I feel fantastic!

I know a lot of people on here like Aidell's Apple Chicken Sausage, so now that I've verified a store where I can find them I wanted to check out Aidell's other sausage flavors.  Many of them are clearly out because they have ingredients with added sugar.  But one or two varieties have all compliant ingredients except the one in question: Sodium Lactate (From Beets).  From what I've found Sodium Lactate is a salt of lactic acid made from fermenting a sugar source.  So I'm wondering is this out because 1) This fermentation doesn't necessarily sound natural? and/or 2) Because the fermentation uses sugar?

The specific sausage in question is ORGANIC Sweet Basil & Roasted Garlic.  Sounds delicious!  But how can something USDA certified organic contain something that doesn't sound very natural.

Thanks for any help!  I'm more curious than anything :)

Joel Salatin and his Polyface Farms are featured with others impacted by corporate farming in a documentary named Farmageddon:  http://farmageddonmovie.com/. He is also the author of "Folks, This Ain't Normal" which looks at how food regulation is slanted toward the mega-producer and massively complicates operation of what should be simple local farming and neighbors sharing great food they grow.

Archived