Quite confused..

Just30DaysOk

So i was reading this thread here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19367-just-found-out-my-multi-vitamin-is-non-compliant/

And for taking multivitamins (like 1g per day?) the suggestions were that it pretty much invalidated the program so far.

This to me seems insane, and totally over the top? Surely what tiny dairy and gluten are in those 1g tablets won't affect much?

So i was reading this thread here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19367-just-found-out-my-multi-vitamin-is-non-compliant/

And for taking multivitamins (like 1g per day?) the suggestions were that it pretty much invalidated the program so far.

This to me seems insane, and totally over the top? Surely what tiny dairy and gluten are in those 1g tablets won't affect much?

The rules are the rules. No dairy and no gluten. Multivitamins are not really all that necessary when you are eating food that is nutrient rich like a Whole30 recommends. It is just 30 days. Giving up a multivitamin for 30 days is very unlikely to harm someone. 

So what about for people like me, who have issues with veg?

What do you mean by issues with vegetables? Is your body physically incapable of eating vegetables for a medical reason or do you just not like them? If it is the former than consult with a doctor to find some good solutions, if it is the latter this is the time to be a grown up and learn new things. I wasn't much of a vegetable eater in my pre-Whole30 life but as my taste buds have adjusted to what real food tastes like and I've learned more cooking skills I've been opened up to a whole wonderful world of delicious and nutritious vegetables. I'm still working on it, but it just keeps getting better.

Guest WholeStanley

Have you noticed a certain type of veg gives your more problems? For example I have an issue with FODMAPS so too much aubergine or brocolli is a big no no for me 

Have you started with a whole 30?  Are you thinking starting one?

The thing with pills is that some people can breakdown and get the minerals from the pills, and some can't.  Actually a good percentage of the population can't.  So basically a multivitamin may help, but you're probably better off with sticking to the vegetables that you can handle.

Okay from a personal standpoint - I love most veg.  But that being said not all veg love me.

I have been whole 30/paleo for 2 years now.  The way my digestive tract works now is NOT how it used to work in the begining.  Cabbage, broccoli and the like were infamous for causing bloating an discomfort.  Or so I thought.

I have tweaked and played and found out some things.

Cauliflower and I - not friends.

Broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, cabbage (bascially all cruciferous veggies) I have to be careful that I don't over consume these.  Bascially I can't eat them for every meal.  One time I wanted to go really low carb in order to lose some more weight.  Bad idea.  Because I leaned on cruciferous veggies.  I ate too many of them to the point where I was so bloated and uncomfortable all the time. Hormones went wonky.  I actually gained weight then instead of losing.  But in order to temper them because I really love oven roasted broccoli I had to eat them along with some squash or sweet potato.  Then I could diggest better.

I don't do raw veg.  Except for salad. Why? - my body doesn't break it down.  So things like raw carrots - nope.  Unless it's for emergencies.

Tomato and cucumber - there is something with the acid in tomatoes that cause problems. Basically they give me mouth sores. Cooked - no problems. Cucumber - I eat one small piece it repeats on me all day long.  So I am tasting cucumber all day.  Not a fan.

Eggplant - nope. I have some nightshade issues.  so tomatoes, eggplants and peppers bother me.  I will still eat them maybe once a week. And I can handle it with no  But unless I want my knee to start paining me again - I stay away from eggplant.  And that actually makes me kind of sad.  Because I really like grilled eggplant.

mushrooms - bloat me and give me a semi food baby.  Despite this I will still eat them on ocassion.

Nuts - nope.  They bloat me, cause digestive distress, and they disrupt my sleep.

Avocadoes - They severely bloat me.  I get a food baby from these.

Dispite all of these issues I eat a really varied diet full of vegetables.  Yes I have tendency to rely on squash and zucchini a lot, but I do mix in green beans, spinach, onions, cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus.......

Archived