Early morning half marathon training runs

elenaSG

I am starting a new year of half marathon training and the long group runs are starting up this week.  Since I live in a very warm climate, these runs are very early- too early to get in a full breakfast beforehand.  I have never been on a Whole 30 during training, so my usual early-morning fuel was a Clif bar (followed by actual breakfast after the run).  This obviously won't work, but based on past experiences I know I can't run on empty, either.  Also, with the heat warm meals pre-run have not generated very pleasant results...

Does anyone have any good ideas for a quick, compliant morning "snack" that will give me enough energy for the run?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Until your body becomes fat-adapted, running and training is much harder. Many people can adapt in about 2 weeks, but some take 4 weeks. When you are fat-adapted, eating one or two hard boiled eggs makes a good pre-workout meal. Before you are fat-adapted, nothing will stop the workout from sucking and you may find that you are both slower and unable to run as far. This does pass and then you will be fine. During the ramp up process, you might find sipping coconut water on your run useful instead of plain water. :)

Oh, I am already the slowest of the slow!   :D  I'm not concerned about my times but rather with getting through the runs.  I will definitely try the coconut water as the runs get longer.  And thanks for the ideas.  Avocado chicken salad might do the trick.

Archived