Starting Monday, Sept 15, 2014

ThisDogNNT

It's nice to read that everyone's managing the program so well. The messages appear to contain honest questions and answers and I love the advice you give each other. I started on the 15th, but with my work schedule I have been unable to follow the forum until today. Reading the comments has put a smile on my face. Thank-you. Unfortunately, after 6 and a half wonderful days of following the program, I fell hard on Sunday evening. Does anyone else have a terrible habit of stress eating? My 23 yr old son stressed me out to the point of hysterical crying, self depreciation, and binge eating. With my husband out of town that day, I just fell into my old habits. I started the next day with the program but my heart doesn't seem totally in. That is until I read some of the comments. Once again, thanks for lifting my spirits.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to read that everyone's managing the program so well. The messages appear to contain honest questions and answers and I love the advice you give each other. I started on the 15th, but with my work schedule I have been unable to follow the forum until today. Reading the comments has put a smile on my face. Thank-you. Unfortunately, after 6 and a half wonderful days of following the program, I fell hard on Sunday evening. Does anyone else have a terrible habit of stress eating? My 23 yr old son stressed me out to the point of hysterical crying, self depreciation, and binge eating. With my husband out of town that day, I just fell into my old habits. I started the next day with the program but my heart doesn't seem totally in. That is until I read some of the comments. Once again, thanks for lifting my spirits.

LindaJean- hang in there. Just calculate where you started then put a dash to where you started over, that's what I did and it has allowed me to acknowledge the success I had and then where I am/was starting over. Like today is my day 9-2 (I cheated Sunday). Stress is definitely a trigger and what I can say is you should find some other distraction or another coping skill, maybe take space outside the home, do some exercise, read a book, just anything to help you be strong.

That said, welcome to our team!

Now then, someone asked what's a pickle shot. Simply pickles and it's juice with vodka. But I don't recommend this at this time!

Where I'm at today... Hellacious day at work and didn't get to eat lunch, only an apple, then another apple a couple hours later. I just put down 2 hot dogs (applegate baby! Although someone may wanna take a 2nd set of eyes to the package bc clearly my mind doesn't read the word sugar in the ingredients list). Headed to play ball. Am I hungry? Yes. But I don't wanna puke on folks. So I will eat a meal when I get home.

I've got a slight headache, no doubt due to lack of food, but I'm also carrying some stress in my shoulders and I'm sure my cheat didn't help.

I have to say despite the day I've had, I'm in decent spirits. Work has been a real struggle lately and prior to this diet (I have a stressful job already and now they're restructuring) but I'm just trying to be positive. I'm generally that type of person, if you couldn't tell.

So one thing I wanna share, non- food related. I read an article about how one word can change your mood and everything around you. The word is thanks. And apparently the more you say it, the easier it is to cope with what's going on with you, whatever that may be. I've practiced it a few times, and it seems to work. Not sure I got fed some hokey stuff, but whatever the case may be, I do have thanks. Thanks to our team, our ability to be able to purchase the good food we eat, the attitudes we've adopted, the changes we are trying to make and the new skillset and knowledge we are learning. Thankful for being alive and able-bodied. Thankful to laugh at our shortcomings and feel empathy for the pains we are feeling.

So team, continue kicking ass!

Oh ya, should we have a name? I mean, I'm all into the spirit of this and you can call me a nerd or whatever, but I'm just oriented that way lol.

10-6

I slept like a Baby last night.

Only to wake up with diarrhea and stomach upset.  So for the first time I decided I was going to make my breakfast first thing this morning. 

Pork Belly from local farmer and butcher two fried eggs in the pork belly fat and steamed spinach.  Black coffee.  I feel so healthy!!!!

My stomach is still extended and some times bloated but I can wear my wedding ring with out it chocking  my finger.

Day off today so house cleaning, gardening and farmers market.  

My daily exercise has been walking my puppy Lucca.  We have some very steep hills that we tackle some times more than once.  I also will try to jog a little bit and hoping to increase the amount of jogging as I get healthier and stronger.

The last 4 or 5 hours yesterday I felt like a zombie.  But again that is when I would be drinking the entire bottle of wine.  I can't believe I don't miss the alcohol, strange and almost unbelievable my Guardian Angel most be working triple time and called in some favors.  Did have a very small baked potato with dinner and still shooting darts at my husband across the table while he sips his cocktail.

Happy Day 10 everyone.  Eat healthy and be strong it is all worth it.

LindaJean- hang in there. Just calculate where you started then put a dash to where you started over, that's what I did and it has allowed me to acknowledge the success I had and then where I am/was starting over. Like today is my day 9-2 (I cheated Sunday). Stress is definitely a trigger and what I can say is you should find some other distraction or another coping skill, maybe take space outside the home, do some exercise, read a book, just anything to help you be strong.

That said, welcome to our team!

Now then, someone asked what's a pickle shot. Simply pickles and it's juice with vodka. But I don't recommend this at this time!

Where I'm at today... Hellacious day at work and didn't get to eat lunch, only an apple, then another apple a couple hours later. I just put down 2 hot dogs (applegate baby! Although someone may wanna take a 2nd set of eyes to the package bc clearly my mind doesn't read the word sugar in the ingredients list). Headed to play ball. Am I hungry? Yes. But I don't wanna puke on folks. So I will eat a meal when I get home.

I've got a slight headache, no doubt due to lack of food, but I'm also carrying some stress in my shoulders and I'm sure my cheat didn't help.

I have to say despite the day I've had, I'm in decent spirits. Work has been a real struggle lately and prior to this diet (I have a stressful job already and now they're restructuring) but I'm just trying to be positive. I'm generally that type of person, if you couldn't tell.

So one thing I wanna share, non- food related. I read an article about how one word can change your mood and everything around you. The word is thanks. And apparently the more you say it, the easier it is to cope with what's going on with you, whatever that may be. I've practiced it a few times, and it seems to work. Not sure I got fed some hokey stuff, but whatever the case may be, I do have thanks. Thanks to our team, our ability to be able to purchase the good food we eat, the attitudes we've adopted, the changes we are trying to make and the new skillset and knowledge we are learning. Thankful for being alive and able-bodied. Thankful to laugh at our shortcomings and feel empathy for the pains we are feeling.

So team, continue kicking ass!

Oh ya, should we have a name? I mean, I'm all into the spirit of this and you can call me a nerd or whatever, but I'm just oriented that way lol.

I was just reminding myself and my husband about looking at what we have to be thankful for.  My husband lost his job in January and is still out of work except he did start working at Home Depo last Month and I am out of work as well working part time at a small organic garden and dirt store.  We are both 58 and at this stage in our life this is hard to swallow since we both have worked all our lives.  The kids are out on their own so at first it was kinda fun Bob and I getting to know each other again in a different setting and time in our life journey.  But now with the holidays getting closer we are a bit worried that the job opportunities are going to be less abundant for Bob.  Bob told me the other day that his whole life has been defined by his work.  Maybe he needs to redefine life.  I think I felt the same way when our kids got older.  

Bob and I need to look at what we have to be thankful for and less on what we don't have.  So glad we decided on getting the puppy. :)

Day 10: I have a lot to be thankful for. Effective three-plus weeks ago, I have chosen not to work...for awhile...or maybe even....forever (in this life). That said I'm interviewing this afternoon for poops and giggles at a fairly well known company. Something to tell the grand kids about.

Also, I'm trying not to think about pepperoni pizza. Pepperoni pizza. Pepperoni pizza.

Happy Wednesday!

Day 10-3!

My job, which me and all my coworkers effectively call the Plantation, is super-sucking today. I should be working and not on here, but whatever. A big thanks for still being employed today. LOL.

Anyway, I effectively ate out last night after softball, at a brewery, ya I said it, a brewery. I got a salad and made sure to not add any meat, since they couldn't tell me if it was cured/processed w/ sugar. No cheese on the salad and asked for EVOO and balsamic vinegar. And I didn't even have the urge to drink beer (and let me tell you, not having this urge at 2 of my trigger locations (brewery,ballfield) is awesome! I don't always drink at ball but I always drink at the breweries we hit after. So proud of that! The meals my teammates got were calling my name but I did a great job of acknowledging those meals looked and smelled divine (esp. the pizza, oooooohhhh pizza) but then said not for me, and urge was over immediately.

I've made breakfast every single morning, LOL. It's always eggs, but I'm an egg lover, although it's getting quite boring to just eat those. I'm a traditionalist so it's hard for me to wrap my head around eating chicken or other meats w/ veggies in the morning. I think I'm going to have to rethink this idea.

I've also managed to make lunch every day and deny those offering me non-compliant snacks... work has been so busy I'm running thin and losing time to eat this week but I'm staying the course! I'll be darned if I'm going to cheat over a stupid Kashi bar, but thanks for that lady being so nice anyway :)

So, I have to tell you, this sleep thing is killing me. I cannot get through a whole night. Not sure if it's the stress at work, but I can't get to bed early, if I do I'm waking up all hours of the night, and I'm always up earlier than need to be. I haven't killed anything or anyone yet, so that's a good sign. I will say, week 1, I was completely foggy. This week feels better in terms of actually feeling like I have a brain and also being able to articulate myself without losing my train of thought, going blank, and/or not making sentences make sense. Thank God.

I'm finding as the days go on, it's getting easier although I'm getting bored with my meals and I know it's b/c I haven't made the time to prepare better meals for myself. When I do, I love them. But when I do, I also have more time. So tonight I'm going to try and get some squash on the menu.

Alright, back to the grind... :wacko:

1/3 of the way through, all! Go us!

I feel like I need to keep myself adhering to the rules I set out initially:

--no nuts/nut butters

--no larabars

sadly, if I know I'm going to be 8 hrs between meals, these are often the easiest to grab. But they're definitely food-without-brakes for me. Also, have leaned on veggie chips sometimes when there's nothing else compliant. 

I'm also in the "am I gaining weight?" freakout moments. I'm hoping its just bloating that will pass, and recognize that in the long run, I am putting good food in which will yield good results. Though, I've been showing my trainer my food log, and she expressed concern over having half an avocado at one meal and a wholly guacamole pack at another meal, because it was a lot of "healthy fat" in one day. I know that not everyone is convinced by the high-fat diet, but still, I believe her training and expertise too. 

But, on a positive note, this week shall be called Temptation Week, and thus far I've succeeded at the following events:

1. Happy hour where people also ordered food and practically forced people to eat things that were left over (no, I don't want your fried spring roll, yes, waiter, I'm only having water, not "still deciding" on a drink)

2. snacks and wine at a book club meeting (know what was most tempting there? the gross iced sugar cookies in halloween colors. WHY AM I SUCH A SUCKER FOR THOSE?!)

3. Birthday lunch out at work, complete with bread basket and buckets of fries for the table (I had a lamb burger sans bun and asked for balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil for the salad).

But the week is not over! I have dinner out Thurs-Sat, and likely lunch out two days as well (birthdays, people visiting, etc.). Hoping I'll be able to grocery shop at some point!

We're a third of the way there, campers! 

That sounds like a very tempting week! Great job resisting! There's a half gallon of Apple Cider in the fridge and I really really want it... Also trying to limit my fruit intake this week because I just love fruit too much but it's just so hard! I need to make a grocery run this week to get some more veggies, I'm running low! And I know I need new meat, I am so tired of chicken!

Nina. I get the weekly emails and a couple days ago it mentioned Taking Natural Calm in there regular formula (the flavored ones are not compliant) it's a relaxing magnesium supplement and anti-STRESS drink. You want to start slow with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up because it can give you watery stools if you start with 2 teaspoons. It's also helps with leg cramps at night. I used to have a very very stressed out job and the Calm product really helped me. I've been taking it now off and on for a couple years. It's also suggested by Whole30.

Left over squash is get with eggs in the morning.

Happy Day 11! My coworker who's also doing Whole30 made a delicious curry and is going to share the recipe. I'll post it here!

A goal of mine through Monday:

--no dried fruit (TJ's sells delicious dried cherries! argh!)

--no nuts 

I'm using these things as a crutch and ain't nobody got time for that. 

I've gotten back into classes at my gym (I was training for a half marathon that was Sept. 15, so the previous two months were all running all the time). Took a weights class yesterday and, while it kicked my butt, I felt like I was doing so much good for my body. Perhaps the tiger blood starting to show up? Anyone have a favorite workout class or yoga routine?

Happy Day 11! My coworker who's also doing Whole30 made a delicious curry and is going to share the recipe. I'll post it here!

A goal of mine through Monday:

--no dried fruit (TJ's sells delicious dried cherries! argh!)

--no nuts 

I'm using these things as a crutch and ain't nobody got time for that. 

I've gotten back into classes at my gym (I was training for a half marathon that was Sept. 15, so the previous two months were all running all the time). Took a weights class yesterday and, while it kicked my butt, I felt like I was doing so much good for my body. Perhaps the tiger blood starting to show up? Anyone have a favorite workout class or yoga routine?

I'm like you, I haven't done much exercise at the gym recently and it's time to get my butt back in gear! I'm so happy with how the Whole30 is turning out and there's no reason for me to not go... though I'm struggling figuring out post-workout and pre-workout snacks. Any ideas?

Day 11: Looking forward to seeing that curry recipe!

I'm going through highs and lows -- most of the lows are in the PM to late PM. But I'm committed to see this thing through. Haven't varied my exercise schedule at all, but I follow more of an easy going Mark's Daily Apple kind of routine with three hours or so per week of fairly slow moving. 

I was thinking that today is as good a day as any to share why we all decided to start the Whole30. I'd love to hear from everyone!

I'm personally struggling with the motivation factor and being reminded of what a good thing I'm doing and why I started to begin with certainly helps with overcoming some of the struggles. 

I started for a number of reasons, but primarily because I've struggled with sleep issues for a long time. Not so much falling asleep or staying asleep, more like, waking up and staying awake! It can really be an obstacle sometimes and I've tried almost everything except for getting a sleep study done. I'm already on meds that are supposed to partially help me with these problems but I'm don't like the idea of being on meds and when I heard about the boundless energy people experience from the Whole30 I couldn't wait to give it a try. I'm just sick of feeling so lethargic all the time! Being groggy has also made it much easier for me to avoid any physical activity which has attributed to weight gain so the weight loss side effects of the Whole30 certainly don't hurt. 

Now it's your turn, what motivated you to start the Whole30?

11-7

I think I am eating to much I am always so full can I really be losing weight.  

Just got my book It Starts With Food today.  I have been going off the website for information and a $2.99 Ibook that I downloaded, it is a condensed version of the book.  Also bought a couple of Cookbooks today.  Nom Nom Paleo and Well Fed 2.  I love cook books.  

Had lunch today with my two boys and they took me to this great Vegan restaurant on 1st street in South Austin Boulden Creek and the kids picked up the tab. :lol:  Had a three egg omelet with veggies, sliced tomatoes and fruit.  Dinner was hamburger with roasted veggies.  Breakfast was some nuts and bone soup.

Over all a good day.  Hope you all had a good day as well. :wub:

It's day 12 and I have NO meat in my house, was running late for work this morning and felt sick until I finally got home and got some food... I still haven't had protein, I tried to eat eggs and work and I think that's what caused my upset stomach. I'm craving grilled cheese really badly and I don't know what to do right now. :( Nothing seems like a fast fix which is exactly what I need. I feel like crap today I just want to feel better! :(((

Day 12! I just looked through the thread and I will optimistically conclude that posting every day is not for everyone!

estrock: My reasons were:  1) Lose a few pounds, 2) press the reset button on my inner body chemistry, and 3) prove to myself that I can follow what is ultimately a not very difficult challenge for 30 freakin' days.

Those are the exact words I used in my first post in this thread. I feel like #1 and #2 are in progress. I'll spare you the gory details on #2, pardon the pun. Yeah that's right.

As for #3, I underestimated the difficulty of this challenge. And...I've used my cast iron skillet more in the last 11 days than I have in the last six months.

Salud!

It's day 12 and I have NO meat in my house, was running late for work this morning and felt sick until I finally got home and got some food... I still haven't had protein, I tried to eat eggs and work and I think that's what caused my upset stomach. I'm craving grilled cheese really badly and I don't know what to do right now. :( Nothing seems like a fast fix which is exactly what I need. I feel like crap today I just want to feel better! :(((

Our brains are sort of like heat seeking missiles (speaking for myself of course). When I get fixated on something, it's hard to get it out of my mind. As it relates to alcohol and obsessing too much about it, here's what I've been doing. Every time I think about booze, I start muttering "daisies and roses." I know that sounds absurd and obtuse. My rationale: daisies were our marriage flower, and roses are among my wife's favorite flowers and is the middle name of someone very close to me. So it actually gets my mind totally off my obsession. You may want to try something similar in relation to the grilled cheese thing.

Also, while I know these folks call for us to eat protein with every meal, the world will not end if you skip one meal. From a nutritional perspective, I am 100% certain that on this plan we're getting all -- or more -- than we need.

Stay strong.

I got up at 7:30 this morning and had to be at work which is close at 8:00.  So I made a coffe togo and a small amount of nuts in a container.  Work was busy and by 11:30 I started to get hungry so at my nuts.  Nuts for me are definitely a food with out brakes so I made sure I only brought just a few with me to get me by.  At home now so late lunch with hamburger and a salad.

Hang in there Stargazer.  I quite somking about 7 months ago with a little help from Chantex.  I can't tell how many times I have an urge for one and now no booze thank God we can still drink coffee.  When I have my cravings I just turn into a big zombie and some times it will be hours before I even realize whats going on and that I have control over my thoughts.

Day 12 we are almost half way there.  :ph34r:  :blink:     :rolleyes:   :o   :angry:  :(   :D  these kind of look like my mood swings. lol

So what, we are on day 13? So that makes me 13-6! Hallelujah!

I'm on the way to go fishing and I must say, I have byes for both my teams so I'm thinking I won't be cheating anytime soon. I packed my lunch for the boat (ok snacks, but dammit if I don't want a sandwich!)

Anyway, I bought a used mountain bike last night so hoping to get out on that tomorrow after some golf.

Folks, we are going to slay this weekend! Be strong my friends!

My dad made some roast beef last night and cut it with his meat slicer.... YUM!!! I think I'm going to survive this after all! The best part of someone having a meat slicer in my family is not having to rely on store-bought lunch meat. I think I'm going to see if I can get some turkey ready to slice, between those two I'm going to be set till the end of this! Plus, I splurged last night and bought some Whole 30 compliant wraps and a bbq sauce they recommended in the back of the "It Starts with Food" book. My boyfriend and I have finally got the hang of this I think! I can't wait to put that bbq sauce over some pulled pork... I tried to make some  Whole 30 compliant bbq sauce on my own but I'm no master chef.

Archived