Tummy troubles... coconut milk

anyone else have 1/4 c of coconut milk and feel all bloaty and icky? today's the first day i've felt like this. i've had it in my food before, but today for my breakfast fat i put 1/4c in my coffee... too much fat? that's the recommended amt in the mealsimple template.

Problems with fat digestion are usually indicative of a leaky gut, which can be due to inflammation or damage of the tight junctions in your gut from your pre-paleo lifestyle. While removing those irritating foods will go a long way toward your recovery, you may need to take a more active approach by increasing probiotic foods, drinking daily bone broth, and supplementing with Vit D, L-glutamine or digestive enzymes.

If you normally have digestive issues with coffee/caffeine, then the coconut milk will only exacerbate that. I know for myself, coffee definitely makes my gut more permeable.

It could also be a factor of an underactive gallbladder, in which case, digestive enzymes will help.

i have been on polyethylene glycol daily since 2004. At one point I was taking colace, fiber, twice daily PEG and a prescription drug called Amitiza. I've been able to get down to once daily PEG and none of the others and now my whole life doesn't stop if I skip a dose, but haven't been able to get lower than that.

It happened again! Just with coconut milk in quantities greater than a tablespoon or so. I can tolerate plenty of animal fats, avocado, olive oil, so I don't get it. If I overdo it on the coconut flakes it hurts my stomach, too, but not as markedly.

Then no more coconut milk for you. It doesn't really matter if you don't understand why - it could be the guar gum, it could be a leaky gut, it's likely not a fat malabsorption thing if it's happening with as little as a tablespoon or two - but if you know coconut milk affects you like this, don't eat/drink any more. Perhaps with time and the healing of your GI tract, you'll be able to reintroduce it.

I've had this problem too, and I'm actually starting to suspect I have fructose malabsorption - which coconut milk aggravates. That's another possibility to consider, especially if you notice fruits and sweet potatoes cause the same problem. I'm going to get tested by my doctor to find out if that's what is going on. Either way, I think I'm going to have to give up some food items that just keep messing with me and coconut milk is one of those.

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue! Too much coconut milk/ flakes/ butter makes my belly very unhappy, especially the area between ribs and belly button. I get bloated, my belly feels stressed and sometimes even a little nauseous (if i really indulge in a full coconut extravaganza). I have also been toying twith the idea of fructose malabsorbtion as fruit gives me a very similar reaction. Sweet potatoes i am fine with though. I never had this reaction before but maybe thats because i never consumed coconut so frequently whilst on a non. Paleo diet. I have just taken the test with my doctor and am waiting for the results. If you think you might have FI its worth getting tested- FI causes malapsorption of many minerals and vitamins in the gut so you could end up with deficiencies even though you are eating healthily... Which is what I noticed was happening (change in nails/ toenail health, hair was lifeless, bruises took longer to heal etc etc). My doctor looked at my mineral levels and told me straight forwardly "Girl, you be needing some big time nutrients!"

Try going coconut free ( I am giving it up for a week) and see how you feel!

Archived