Exercise-induced heartburn

Guest sareemaree

Guest sareemaree

I've been having terrible heartburn while running ever since I started following the Whole30 pre-workout guidelines. Before I started trying to change my eating habits, I used to have a bowl of oatmeal 30-60 minutes before my run, and then if I was going long (12+ miles) I would bring a gel or two with me for fuel on the go. I never had any digestive issues and I never bonked.

Now I am having a pre-workout snack of a hardboiled egg and fueling long runs with raisins, compliant Larabars, or sweet potato baby food pouches. The first few long runs I struggled with some muscular fatigue but I seem to have moved beyond that now. However, the acid reflux/belching I've been experiencing is really terrible.

I poked around the Internet and the conventional wisdom is mostly - take an antacid pre-run and bring some Tums with you. Obviously not the kind of advice I'm looking for.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you found anything that helps?

What day of your Whole30 are you on and how long are your long runs? Generally I've found I don't need to fuel during runs in the 2 hour range. I tend to cut my water with coconut water (about 50/50) but that is it. I ran 3 half marathons last summer this way. I'm guessing the heartburn could be from the sugar in the things you are intaking but I'm not entirely sure. It is normal to feel weaker the first couple of weeks of Whole30 while your body adapts to being a fat burner. If you are still bonking you might want to look at your food intake the day before. If you are not getting enough carbs the day before your run you could be low on glycogen.

Guest sareemaree

Thanks, Physibeth. I didn't think it was a good idea but I'm going to try to move towards not fueling at all as you suggest. My long runs are 12-15 miles and a total of about 30 weekly miles. I'll start building mileage more towards the end of the year to get ready for a full in February but right now I'm just in a maintenance phase. I didn't have heartburn when I was using super-sugary gels so I'm not sure that's it - I actually think it may be that I'm not eating enough for a pre-run snack. Maybe 2 eggs instead of one? I'll try that next time.

And no, I'm no longer bonking. I'm actually only on day 4 right now but have been trying to do a Whole30 since early June and keep having to start over (I introduced myself in a different thread if you're interested in my context but I won't repeat it here). However I think the constant attempts have helped me become somewhat more fat adapted than I was before although my continued reliance on sugary fuels surely isn't helping!

Thanks again.

Archived