need encouragement today / feeling like I'm out in no-man's land...

OK, so I jumped into this whole thing without knowing all the ins and outs and surprisingly have been going along rather swimmingly though there have been a few learning curves to be sure... for once I'm actually ok with the whole, it doesn't have to be perfect, just learn from your mistakes thing...

and then today I started looking at the details... I realize I've been making some serious errors... I kinda knew about the bacon thing but tried to keep it to sugar being at least 3rd on the list of ingredients... and then I read the bacon manifesto... ouch.

then I wandered into the "can I eat this" forum and see that the unsweetened coconut milk I've been using isn't good either because of a whole host of reasons...

and lately (in the last week) I know I've been using nutbutters & apple slices to stave off the sugar demon (which I really do know doesn't work, but I get so desperate)...

on the good side, with the exception of the bacon (and the raw honey incident a few weeks ago), I haven't had any sugar since July 17... and that is nothing short of a miracle...

So if I'm not doing the Whole 30, then I feel like I'm in no-man's land. I mean, I'm eating better AND FEELING BETTER.. though still have the afternoon slump & have to fight sugar cravings now & again... and now the little screaming addict in the back of my head keeps trying to get me to do the whole last supper thing, you know, scrap it all & then make a fresh start...

did I mention though ==> I'm feeling so much better that I really don't want to listen to that crazy fiend in my head!!!

so I feel neither in nor out. and this feels like dangerous territory, like I'm on a slippery slope about to fall off the mountain, hanging on to the ledge by my fingertips...

someone toss me a rope, please!!! (though I'm not really sure I can let go with one hand to grab it, so you may have to actually come get me!)

Maggie

off to read more in the book & on this site...

Definitely do not Stop>Pig out>Start "perfectly" just Pause>asses& research>Continue on trying even harder.

You have made too many positive changes to stop now & chuck out the baby with the bathwater.

Maybe sign up to the daily newsletter or something to give you an extra boost?

It sounds like you've made great progress so far, so congrats! I think you're still in - you didn't "slip up" on purpose and, as I said, it sounds like you've made a LOT of progress, I mean no sugar since July 17th (other than what you mentioned above).

Maybe you could extend your Whole30 by another week or two to give yourself motivation to keep going? (And you could look more closely at things from here on to make sure tiny little noncomplaint things don't slip in.)

Either way, you're still in..and keep going!

So here's the crazy part though... I'm already getting the daily newsletter, & it has been really quite helpful... though the past few days I've felt like since I haven't really been doing anything in the exercise department, I'm not doing this thing right..,. ugh... so it feels heavier & heavier each day, like... crap, I'm not doing this right, why can't I ever finish anything I start... blah blah self-depreciation BS blah blah blah...

I've been sober for over 9 years so I've learned not to listen to that garbage in my head, but WOW who thought it's be this intense?! sheesh. I didn't get unhealthy overnight and I'm not gonna get well overnight either!

like getting sober though, I do know that when I start feeling like this it is super important to reach out and talk about it (even though it feels so whiny!)... if I keep this stuff to myself, I'll eventually fall under its weight...

thank you so much for the support!

Maggie

I have cut myself some slack the first week by only taking a couple of walks,not any rigorous exercise. I am really trying to focus on the food side of it, AND a healthy sleep. I normally would get up really early to work out,seriously dragging myself out of bed. I am now trying to wake up naturally. I start week 2 tomorrow and am going to set a walking goal for the week-may not be first thing in the am, but I will get moving. Gradually.

Hang in there and just keep at it !

Archived