Exhausted and trouble sleeping

I've been Paleo (with some dairy) since May and started a While 30 on Aug 1st. I've had the great energy boost months ago, and was looking forward to maybe some more, but I've been exhausted. I try to get 8-9 hours at least a night, stop using electronics a few hours before bed, and try to keep up with all the recommended "sleep hygiene" tips. Nothing seems to work. I wake up a bunch during the night and feel exhausted when I wake up.

I've always been a bad sleeper...but this is getting even worse. I'm not having any issues with sticking to the strict eating of the Whole 30, it's just the sleep (or lack of) that's getting to me.

Anyone have any tips? I'm getting desperate, and discouraged.

Are you taking magnesium? (I'm sure someone else can explain its use better than I would be able to, but last time I read about a sleep issue, magnesium was recommended.)

I've used melatonin in the past with great success, but I'm not sure if there are any Whole30 approved versions out there.

Heathski I am right there with you!!!!

I have been fairly strict paleo since June, with some dairy as well. I started my Whole30 August 1st also. I felt great (and I mean fabulous) in July and during the first 10 days of my Whole30. I have also followed the sleep guidelines, sleeping as much as possible, avoiding electronics before bed, etc. I'm sleeping more soundly to be sure but I still wake up 3-6 times at night and I have been absolutely EXHAUSTED these last few days. I've only been able to workout 2-3 times per week (a combination of swimming, crossfit and kayaking) becuase each of those activities leaves me exhausted for 24-48 hours. I am mindful to eat sweet potatoes and some protein shortly after my work outs and all it does is make me feel bloated. I'm on day 16 and I feel more exhausted than I have in months and my clothes are feeling tighter instead of the other way around. I keep hearing if you're tired to add more starchy vegetables and fat, both of which I'm doing (in moderation of course - palm size serving of starchys and tablespoon or so of fat).

I am so dicouraged at this point. I feel terrible. :(

I'm in a similar boat, only I use Natural Calm every night too. It's like, I am wired with great energy all day and then it just never stops. I wake up over and over all night long, it takes me a long time to fall asleep, and now I'm waking up early as well.

I've had insomnia issues for a while, and I had addressed all the sleep hygiene things (room dark, stress reduction, etc..) and was actually sleeping better. Then, two weeks into this Whole30, my sleep went from great to this. This happened last time I did a Whole30 as well. I was sleeping great and then it stopped and got horrible for the rest of the Whole30.

I wonder if anyone has had this happen and then seen it improved while sticking the course, even beyond just 30 days. I really feel like it is diet related, as that is the only thing that has changed recently. For the record, I've not had any deviations from the Whole30 rules and I don't drink caffeine at all now.

I hope someone can give us some pointers!

I'm not sure what it could be guys, there are a lot of factors that play into sleep. how often before bed is your last meal? Is it particularly carb heavy? Casey, you have a little one that makes things harder, don't you? "Lights Out" is a good book that talks about sugar and its role in sleep that could help out, but I don't know how applicable the info would be to somebody that's already cut out 100% of their sugar intake

I am right there with you... I've never had trouble sleeping (even when my diet was terrible) and now all of a sudden the last 14 nights since starting my Whole 30 have been so frustrating. I fall asleep no problem - the issue is staying asleep. Any tips?

I'm not sure what it could be guys, there are a lot of factors that play into sleep. how often before bed is your last meal? Is it particularly carb heavy? Casey, you have a little one that makes things harder, don't you? "Lights Out" is a good book that talks about sugar and its role in sleep that could help out, but I don't know how applicable the info would be to somebody that's already cut out 100% of their sugar intake

I'm reading "Lights Out" right now. Pretty much following all the guidelines.

I've played with various things regarding last meal, longer time before bed, trying a snack just before, adding more carbs, having less carbs, etc. Nothing seems to be making a difference.

Renee - I can't blame this one on my daughter, luckily. She's a great sleeper at night.

Here's something interesting I ran across yesterday shortly after posting and immediately applied it - too much salt in your diet could interfere with sleep. I was looking up something totally unrelated in Dr. Cordain's Paleo Answer and just happened to glimpse he says if you're having trouble sleeping, stop alcohol and reduce salt as these can impact sleep. Alcohol is obviously not it, but I do use salt without any concern. So I ate the rest of my meals yesterday with zero salt (since I had salt with breakfast) and, weird coincidence, I slept like a baby last night. I don't know if it turned out to be pure luck, but I literally went to bed with exactly 8 hours to sleep (since I just feel fed up with this insomnia anymore) and I went to sleep immediately instead of staying awake for 1-2 hours. I woke up briefly twice in the night, but fell right back to sleep. Could this really be it? I guess tonight we'll see if it happens again.

• 3 weeks later...

So Casey did that help you?

I am on day 5.......well, its the middle of the night after day 4...

I slept about 1.5 hours then woke up from a vivid dream and couldn't sleep..

It reminded me of when I juice fasted and had the same trouble after several days.

I felt crappy and tired for the past 2 days, then last evening it went away, and the energy came.

If it is salt, I will cut that back... Have you still been doing well?

I can't stand not sleeping, and I need to sleep...this is the first night its happened this time, but It feels familiar, and I had been sleeping well for a long time before this..

I have a big date next week, visiting someone at a distance, and I want to feel good..

should I add some brown rice or something and start whole 30 again when I get home?

I don't want to have my vacation screwed up...

what do you all think?

Archived