Supplements for Kids

alisonwonderland

I was just wondering what supplements people are doing for there kids. I have an 18 month old and an almost 4 year old. They do play outside pretty often but my pediatrician recommends vitamin D (especially since they are not drinking fortified cows milk) which seems to be a good idea. They are both pretty good at eating there veggies and love meat so I am not too worried. I was giving my older daughter a Animal Parade chewable vitamin that had vitamin D, probiotics and calcium and was sweetened with xylitol but I'm not so sure about that now... Thanks for any input.

• 3 weeks later...

There are definitely risks with lack of Vit D: http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency. I am in Colorado, so we supplement with Vit D in the winter, when we are inside a lot. And if we are outside in winter, the days are short, the sun is weak, and our skin is almost entirely covered. If you have very dark skin and live in a northern climate, Vit D supplementation makes sense, especially in the winter. But if you have lighter skin and live where it's sunny (and you go outside in it), I wouldn't worry about Vit D supplementation. Mark Sisson has some great info about sun exposure that has totally changed my thinking about it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/sun-exposure/?submit=view#axzz25hvQCogQ.

HIgh quality fish oil is great for everyone. Liquid is best. If you must take a capsule, freeze one before taking. If it freezes, it has more water than oil and is not a good quality.

Standard Process is a manufacturer of whole-foods based supplements and has a multi vitamin called Catalyn Chewables for kids. You can only purchase SP from a doctor's office, but you will be surprised at the low cost! Check with your local chiropractor or go online to the Standard Process website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived