Struggling to get protein down

Opsdiva

Today is Day 9 of my Whole 30 Journey - but only day 5 of my Whole 30.  I made some bad choices on Day 4 that resulted in a restart - but I think the overall number of days may be of important here since a transgression might not totally take you back to Day 1 of the timeline.  I also recognize that as I learn and evolve - it might take me quite a few more than 30 days to get the W30 completed!

I'm really having a hard time fighting down the protein.  I've never been a big meat eater, and historically have felt my best on a plant-based diet.  I am sitting here with my lunch and every day it's the same story:  spinach/kale and sweet potatoes go down great.  Some coconut butter on the sweet potato - awesome.  Getting the chicken down - not so much.  I am struggling with a general lack of appetite but I know I need to get the protein in.  Maybe it's just because my body is detoxing from sugar and thus just wants the high carb veggies?  Should I just "force it" down, or listen to my body?

I tried to visit the Forum area for Whole 30 for Vegetarians - but Google Chrome keeps telling me not to go there because the site is infected with malware.  I haven't ever seen that particular message on Google Chrome, so I'm heeding the warning.

Thanks for any help!

Christy

• Moderators

There are two possibilities. One is that your body lacks the gut bacteria it needs to fully digest meat, so when you eat meat, it is taking a long time to process through your stomach. The quick route to dealing with this issue is taking digestive enzymes to help until your body grows the bacteria it needs. Read through this article and see if it fits your situation: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

The other possibility is that you are having an emotional reaction to eating meat, so your system is telling you, "Don't do it!" Or maybe it is a little of both. I am not enthusiastic about trying to convince someone to eat meat and I probably would not try to do it by talking anyway. My preferred route of changing someone's mind would be to have them go to the farm I get lots of my food from with me. Seeing chickens, sheep, and rabbits on the farm and seeing how the whole ecosystem works together is the most powerful message I know. 

Thanks, Tom.  I'm going to check into the gut bacteria angle.  I won't fully discount the second possibility - but I really don't think it's an emotional issue with eating meat.  I was never plant-based for ethical reasons - I just often feel "turned off" by meat.  I've noticed I feel that way less with red meat and pork - more with chicken.

• Moderators

Ahh. Nutritionally beef is superior to chicken. Maybe your body recognizes value when it bites it! :) Pork does not measure up to beef when it comes to nutrition, but pigs are the most efficient of animals at turning scraps into protein. You gotta love that!

Archived