WMTB: Whole Living Log

widget

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all!! I feel so guilty for not writing, but you are in my thoughts daily! I know you're there.

Update: Like Tina, I just finished my second Whole 30 with only one (well, two) missteps. Last weekend we cared for our 4- and 6- year old grandchildren. I drove up to Austin ( a 90 minute drive) to pick them up from daycare and it took 135 minutes. Leaving their school at 3:15 fortified with water and juice-and-water packs and little bags of goldfish crackers it took us 3 hours to drive home in the Austin traffic. The kids were tired, strapped in their booster seats (they are tall children), and the moving they were watching on their ipad was finished. About 20 minutes from home Jack (4) started throwing up in the back seat. Since I was on the interstate I handed the package of wipes to his sister and asked her to hand them to him one at a time. He was a little upset but when we got home my hubbie was ready to clean out the car, I stripped Jack in the laundry room (right off the garage) and bundled him into the tub. He was fine. Ready to rock and roll.

After dinner - compliant meatballs and sauce with the end of my closet's spaghetti (spagetti squash for the grown ups). Kiddos had some of pop pop's vanilla ice cream before we started building the Haunted Gingerbread House kits from Trader Joe's. great fun and mess!

Saturday we spent the morning at the garden center where the kids painted pumpkins, picked mums for great grandma and their mom, went through a straw bale maze for kids, rode a "Terror Train" through the trees and plants. Then we ate lunch at McDonalds - I had a Southwest salad, gave the cheese and taco chips to my husband and used a lime for the dressing. Kids had chicken nuggets and apple slices. They did have small sodas, which was a mistake!  Then we went to the Botanical Garden where they joined a costume parade through the gardens, then we looked at the amazing lego exhibits situated all through the garden and then played with legos for a while (while nana and poppop rested!). Then we stopped by great gma's extended care facility to give her the mums. She was fortunately sitting outside enjoying the lovely weather, so we didn't have to bring high decibel children into the facility. WHEW!

Sunday we went to church with the car all packed with their stuff and ours for the evening. Jack went to the 4 year old room and Addie came with me to the choir loft..great view! After service I had to count collection (a vestry duty) and then we went out to the Fall Festival. Addie won a cake at the cake walk, they both decorated yet another pumpkin, and they ate fried chicken (I didn't..found some raw veggies and fruit) and water and popsicles. Then we went to the Symphony's program for children, an instrument petting zoo and storytelling while the symphony played Halloween related music. Then we headed back to Austin - just the expected 90 minutes this time. It was close to 6 and they were hungry, so I found turkey hotdogs that they would eat and some oranges. They also had a piece of Addie's cake. Oh well. We had some frozen chicken strips and frozen broccoli. I later took my son to task for only having processed food in his house...and he a Whole30 follower. But, they both work and he travels most of each month. He just eats steak. Boring!

After successfully getting the kids to school on time on Monday morning (even though Jack let the two big dogs out in the neighborhood ) we went to eat breakfast at Whole Foods (remember, no good food in the house) and picked up the makings for a compliant Waldorf salad. I made the mayo and the salad for our daughter and us to have for lunch. We visited with the now 8 month old baby girls - bottles, nap time, lunch time for them and for us and then we came home.

Girls, it took me two solid days to catch up! On Tuesday I went to bed at 7:30. I was soooo tired. Oh, On Friday night I had a scotch and on Saturday I had a glass of wine. I didn't feel well on Sunday or Monday. Darn!

Yesterday I weighed my self and I lost another 6 pounds for a total of 14.  and another 2 inches. Not earth shattering, but encouraging. My size 10s are loose and most of the 8s in my closet are fitting. But I still have room to go, I still feel extra strengthening is needed in my stomach and mid-section. So I will continue following the plan in general and trying to increase my exercise...adding more situps and I have to stretch! Why do I hate stretching so much?  I have to run to get ready for church, but I'll check in tomorrow...I pinkyswearpromise!!

Mary

So glad you stopped in Mary - you've been on my mind - hoping that all was going well.   You have been busy !!   I had some alcohol on Saturday - glass of wine and 2 shots of apple pie - and woke w/ a big headache - and it didn't entirely go away.  So I think alcohol will be very limited.

I've lost another 1" and will weigh myself tomorrow.  I have gone down a size - and it feels good !  but I now need new pants ... and have bought some - but don't want to buy more - just to buy the next size, cuz I'm in between the 2 sizes.

Winter is almost here - and it makes me lazy and non-motivated.  I think I should start walking on the treadmill at work - I usually get there 1/2 hr before I need to be there, so I guess I should really do something.

Sara - hope you are well.

Made mayo w/ avocado oil and raw apple cinder vinegar - and I think I like it better than the traditional.  now I can make the jicama/carrot slaw and regular coleslaw.  Been wanting hotdogs and I like the slaw with them.

Will check in again

Hey friends,

Just a quick check in. Did I drop off the map? Yes. I've been learning to paddle my own canoe. 

I've adapted many Whole30 principles into my eating. Have mostly eliminated wheat, gluten and processed foods. Every now and then I have a treat but it has to be an exceptional treat: like one and only one slice of really good pizza or a glass of red wine. I've reintroduced dairy back into my diet but only my homemade organic yogurt (made with 3% fat content). Also legumes have found there way back. Not often, but I will add a can of black beans to my chicken chili. But mostly, I try to adhere to the rules. 

Weight loss has slowed down but not stopped! That said, this experience has brought me more energy, better sleep and a renewed commitment to at least 30 minutes (and often closer to an hour) of combined exercise a day.

I've accomplished what I intended when I joined this in September. That being to set up an intentional lifestyle that will carry me well into the next 30 years. Considering that in 14 months, I turn 60, I think that's more than fair. 

I wish you both really well. We're on the way, girls. Well on the way. 

cheers,

widget (aka Judy)

• 1 month later...

You have all been in the back of my Ming the last 2 months. Like widget I have continued to follow many of the Whole 30 guidelines, but I need to get back to following the strict guidelines...next week. I'm sure I am not the only one.

I was disappointed with the results of a November physical that reported my bad cholesterol as high. My good cholesterol was high, too, and the ratio was ok. Still.....

This month I has a sewing marathon finishing a size 10 smocked dress for my tall 6yr. Old granddaughter, 2 cross stitched first Christmas ornaments for twin girls, and two smocked dresses for the 10 month old babies. All were completed at 3:00 on Christmas eve

And wrapped before rushing off to sing two services. House guests this week and next, et cetera.... It will be nice to slow down and pay attention to exercise and menus.

Last week I made a "lasagna" made with ground turkey and butternut squash "planks" instead of noodles. Also made cashew "cheese" instead if ricotta or mozerella. Ok, it wasn't really lasagna, but it was very good...even my husband wanted to eat it a second night in a row...eagerly!

Ohh, I made pesto sauce with walnuts (I had lots and didn't have pine nuts), later that week I used some of the pesto in scrambled eggs. What a great idea!

Best wishes to all! Please let us know if you start a new thread so we can join you.

Mary

Well Hello Mary !!

I would be interested more in your "lasagna"  squash planks ?  how did you make those ?  I was going to try and make a cashew 'sauce"  but cashews here are so expensive - I couldn't justify using them.  :unsure:

So I have been checking every now and then to see if any one posts... and you are the first.

I've done well have lost 23lbs since end of Aug (according to my doc scale)  my labs say that my chol is down 20pts  (my good is till bad and my bad is ok) but with exercise (or so the doc says) that might change it up.

I've been actually doing the w30 continuously  - ok  - with a meal here or there that is slightly not compliant.  but on 1/1/15 I am again doing a STRICT w30 and have convinced 2 people here at work to join me.

So glad to hear that you have been well. 

Hope to chat again

Tina, I'm starting a strict Whole30 on Jan. 1, too. It need to get back on track!

The planks were surprisingly easy . I peeled the butternut squash, cut both ends off and cut off the round, seeded end of the squash. I stood the squash up and with a large , sharp knife cut long, thin strips. The recipe called foe 1/2 inch planks, but mine were much thinner..well, most of them were. I cleaned out the seeds and cut up the round end the same way, but since I was using a 9 by 9 inch pan, I didn't need them. Like lasagna I put some tomato sauce in the pan, then planks (not overlapping),then meat, and did this for three layers. The cashew cheese only went on the top. I bought bulk raw cashews and they weren't too expensive. The recipe I used was from Plaid and Paleo.com "Paleo Butternut Squash Lasagna". I have to remember to take pictures!

Glad we're back in touch!

Mary

Hey Tina and Mary,

I've been receiving notifications that this thread has been active and here you are! Tina, I'm so impressed. Well done with your weight loss! Brava to you for sticking with it. Mary, it sounds like you've been enjoying your family and that Whole30 has become a way of life for you as well. 

I've been doing pretty well up until about a week ago when I just decided to enjoy the holiday season. I put no rules on my celebrating and I took a break from exercise. I can definitely feel a tightness in my clothes but that's okay. 

If you don't mind, I think I'll join you for Whole30 January. Count me in!

widget

Yay! Widget is onboard! Yes, I have enjoyed preparing for holidays and now need to tune up my act. For Christmas my husband and I bought each other a grill, so I'm hoping there will be some simple dinners in the future. I may need some grilling tips, it's been a while since I've grilled. So far we cooked marinated steaks (oil, lemon, garlic, oregano, Apple cider vinegar), boneless pork chops, and turkey sausage.

Have either of you looked into the Facebook groups? I'm peeking, they are so large that they feel impersonal, but might be good to peruse for ideas.

Just a couple more days to get back into the mindset. I was just gifted with a banana chocolate chip cake. I think I'll freeze it for the next time I need to bring snack to church coffee hour. See, progress!

Mary

mary - I think the same about the FB groups - but also agree would be a great resource.  I see too another BIG group starting Jan 1 too, but I like our little group right here.  there are other forums that I participate with and they both are small little groups too.

I love grilling and was going to get myself a grill for xmas but more important things were needed.  (maybe would be a good buy if I get a bonus this year!)

It makes me think of summer - during these long cold days.

Will check in later

Tina - Belated Happy Birthday!! I wish we all lived closer. We could go drink decaf tea or something.

Widget and Tina - I need a quick suggestion...I'd like to make a "cake" for my son's birthday. He's going to jump on Whole30 on Jan. 1, too. HIs b'day is Jan. 2. I'll start searching, but if you have any ideas please let me know!

Thanks a bunch!

Mary

I don't think there is a cake any where that would be compliant.   <_<  because you can't modify - paleofy-  anything - so he may have to suck it up ... (sorry that sounds harsh) and save it for when he completes his 30 !!     or give him his cake tomorrow !   His present is a better him !!

I hope that didn't come off horrible !

Happy New Year!

I didn't make the cake, but may make it for baby granddaughters first b'day in February. So, we're at my son's house and there's a sandwich tray from Costco, a packaged tortilla soup (corn, beans, tortilla chips, sugar, etc.) Caesar salad with croutons, parmesean cheese, and packaged dressing, chips, and strawberries. Wine, beer, soda to drink. So far I've had strawberries and my decaf tea that I brought.

I did have some leftover pork chop and sweet potato for breakfast. I may have to forage.

Happy New Year !!

Today was not a day that was exactly perfect... but I was compliant -  last night I ate whatever I wanted.. chips/dip, chips /salsa, choc chip cookies, pistascio fluff (spelled wrong) and pizza.  and last night - my stomach was protesting greatly !

M1 was eggs and potato hash and an orange

M2  was not hungry   went to see Into the Woods with brooke and her friend
M3   was munching on all the stuff I was making..

Made another batch of chicken stock, and then made a sw potato soup (from well fed2)  and made the Asian meatballs from Nom Nom Paleo with some slight modifications  I didn't have fish sauce so used Coconut Aminos and also used gr pork instead of beef.   The meatballs are delish ! and even got a thumbs up from my daughter.   Will DEFINITELY make those again, and will make a double batch to freeze.

I am going to weigh myself tomorrow and Monday (scale is at work) and take some measurements.

I am looking forward to this journey again with you ladies

Today was a slow start. I had gorged last night on the last of the homemade poppycock. It's a very good thing that I only do this once a year. Today I cleaned out the fridge, dumped out all the Christmas festing leftovers.

I also dumped out the last of my homemade yogurt. I've been breakfasting on plain yogurt, berries and protein powder for the past two months. I guess it's back to eggs! I have to remember my non egg brekkies. Post suggestions please.

It's a good thing to do on New Year's Day. Then my daughter and I drove to the mountains for lunch. She had a flatbread pizza with spinach, feta and roasted tomatoes and the soup of the day. I also had the soup: a delectable yam. I forgot to tell them to not float goat cheese in mine. So suddenly I'm non compliant. We drove home and I picked up Thai food for dinner. My other non compliance was the coconut rice.

I'll do better tomorrow. I can say that today I was sugar free, alcohol free and wheat free. My belly is still pretty bloated from yesterday.

widget

I guess the full compliance begins tomorrow. Looking forward to the month with you.

Sounds like we're off and running! We spent NYD at my son's house (3 children w/spouses, sig.others and 4 grands). Paul's lovely wife is not a cook nor does she support Whole30. All food was non-compliant,,,except for strawberries and some turkey Ipulled out of a sandwich. By 4:30 I needed to eat so I asked Paul if he had some frozen chicken. I cooked 3 boneless chicken breasts sliced up and dusted with almond flour in avocado flour. Paul cooked cauliflower to mash and roasted 2 small sweet potatoes (4 halves). Yay! Real food.

B: 1/2 grilled naked pork chop, l/o mashed sweet potato, 2 clementines, black decaf ( I'll always have black decad tea or coffee...so I'll stop adding it)

L: strawberries, piece of turkey

D: 1/3 chicken Brest, mashed cauliflower, 1/2 roasted sweet potato

Compliant. No exercise.

My goal is also to increase exercise. Here's to good intentions! Good luck today!

Mary

Hello Mary and Tina,

Bravo for making it through New Year's Day. 

today is better. I had two scrambled eggs, a slice of turkey and half a grapefruit for breakfast. 

Then off to visit a girlfriend. We played violin.viola duets for a couple hours. Lunch of salad and chicken thigh and wing. Cup of tea.

Dinner: I chopped up a small onion and a large sweet potato. Then sautéed the lot. Added two tbs of finely chopped fresh ginger. When the mess was soft, I added 5 cups of turkey broth (leftover from Christmas). It's all simmering nicely now. 

If you're interested in a fun read, I just finished Garlic and Sapphires: the secret life of a food critic by Ruth Reichl. A great romp through the restaurants of New York in the 90s. 

http://www.amazon.com/Garlic-Sapphires-Secret-Critic-Disguise/dp/0143036610

Have a great evening all,

widget

Thanks, widget! That sounds like fun. Did you salivate as you read? I bet you dinner smells good! I bought a whole chicken today and will crock pot it on Monday for bone broth and chicken to be frozen in 4-6 oz. pis for quick meals.

Violin/viola duets....lovely! Music to de-stress by. I wish we could hear you play. And see you play! Make a Utube video for us☺️.

Weird thing are happening with this post, so I'll keep it short.

B: scrambled eggs with almond milk, steamed brussel sprouts, 1 clementine.

L: Baked turkey breast slices, raw spinach for wraps

D: Almost 5 Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie from PaleoOMG . Yum! I made a double batch earlier in December and froze this 9x9 pan. I moved it from the freezer to the fridge yesterday morning before leaving for Austin. Sooo nice to only have to zap dinner tonight when we came home!

Here's hoping the post saves.

Mary

Mary, 

I looked up the pizza spaghetti pie. I'm so going to make that tomorrow. I think that will make a wonderful breakfast if I freeze the batch in squares. it kind of looks like a spaghetti squash fritatta with pizza stuffs. Does it freeze well? 

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

I don't think we have any of our orchestra stuff on YouTube. i play for fun. It's all part of my alzheimer's prevention plan. 

Widget

The end of January 3,

It's a bitterly cold brain-freeze of a day in Calgary. I had a late start with a small bowl of leftover beef stew for breakfast. Coleslaw with half a tin of salmon for lunch and then I made the Spaghetti Pizza Paleo Pie for dinner served with romaine leaves dressed with olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

Mary, that's a great recipe. I love it. I invited a new friend over for dinner and we made it together. I started the meal with a small bowl of yam soup.

So a successful compliant day with comforting yummy food to stay warm.

goodnight now,

widget

hi ladies - I have trouble with my posts all the time..  if you write some - then post - you can go back   and hit the edit button and resume your post - then at least it will save it and you won't have to start all over  

The pizza pie sounds good - lately I have been not really liking spaghetti squash - but I will give it another whirl.

yesterday was a little difficult because I found myself longing for a nice ice cold coke - and then a starbucks white chocolate mocha.

I think this time around is proving harder for me than the first !

Today - making more Asian meatballs, a stew and then shephards pie and tater tot casserole for my daughter.  I will be working until 7 pm starting Monday and will have to eat lunch and dinner at work - so I have to get some cooking done so I don't find myself in a pickle

M1 yesterday was out for breakfast - omelet w/ limited veggies and has browns

M3  was a big salad w/ chicken, cukes, avocados, cukes, pecans tomatoes w/ a vinegar mustard dressing

was running errand yesterday so M3 was a very late lunch... but then didn't eat anything else for the evening.

M1 today was sw potatoes and 3 fried eggs

No clue what the rest of the day will bring - !

It is snowing again and I have sw potato soup in the fridge that will probably be just the right thing

Tina - you are a cooking goddess! And working such late hours! your salad sounds good, but cold. The potato soup sounds MUCH  more the thing. Understand that I am cold here when the weather guys are going crazy that San Antonio will hit freezing for 5 hours. Sorry. It's still cold.

Yesterday/Sunday

B: Leftover dinner - turkey, sweet potato, onion, celery, broccoli hash.

L: tuna salad with Well Fed mayo, half an avocado, closed handful of raw almonds

Choir open house - nothing I could eat, drank iced water . But I knew the offerings and was ok since I had eaten lunch. My husband and mother enjoyed the food, I enjoyed my friends.

D: 2 egg omelet made with water and sliced tomato, fresh spinach. (Husband and Mother had cheese omelets made with milk! and ice cream)

Saturday I woke up filled with energy. I did early errands and packed up all the Christmas decorations. By the afternoon I was taking a 1.5 hour nap and all day yesterday I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold. Just starting. Right on time according to the W30 daily that I am rereading from the first time.

Today I didn't do too much, stayed in, stayed warm, drank lots of decaf tea all days. Sore throat is gone, will go to bed early tonight.

Today/Monday

B: L/o spagetti pizza - It had been frozen twice and was still good! Probably because of the sauce in it and the moisture content of the squash! I think I'll always make 2. Could we do just as well with a 9x11 pan (99 sq in) as 2-8x8 pans (128 sq in). It'd just be a little deeper.

L:1 organic Applegate chicken sausage and frozen broccoli, carrot, water chestnut combo. small handful of almonds and a few dates.

D: Chocolate chili from Well Fed and organic ground beef from Costco. I used more beef than the recipe called for but still only got 6 servings of about 1.5 cups each.

Also: Have a chicken simmering on the stove for chicken bone broth. I think I'll use some of the meat for tomorrow's dinner. I can use cauliflower as rice and maybe some broccoli. (I like broccoli and fortunately my husband does, too). OR if I'm feeling up to it I'll make some zoodles. That would be great! Maybe throw in some mushrooms.  I'll let you know.

Sugar - mid day I've been hit pretty hard. Today I ate some dates with my lunch and had a lot of hot tea. Last night I almost made a hot toddy to go with my aspirin, but stuck with the tea. 

Maybe Tina we just know what's in store for us. I hope it's not harder. I know that in order to continue this I can't cook myself to death. So in my meal planning I'm scheduling leftovers and easy meals along with recipes. Fish, a skillet "hash" using leftover meat or ground meat.  We'll see.

I'm glad you both liked the Spaghetti Pizza! I think I have a few new experiments planned for next week. 

Stay warm!

Mary

Hi Ladies - I am feeling much better today - no gurgly stomach this morning after eating M1.  which was sw potota soup and some meatballs.

Last Sunday i had a terrible stomach issue, and I think it was my mayo that was the problem,  I tossed the whole lot, I also ate it prior to that day and also got sick then too.. but it took me eating it again and getting sick again before I put 2 and 2 together

So I have been battling a gurgly stomach since.  So last night I cleaned out the fridge of all mayo.  someone suggested buying an individual egg from the organic store to make my mayo - which I think they sell them that way.   I used to get farm fresh eggs and always checked them for freshness... and never gave it a 2nd thought to check store bought eggs

yesterday

M1 was sw potato soup
M2   stew
M3  was left over chicken stew (had to cook more carrots to add to it - I ate them when I had it the other day !) 

Today
m1 was sw potato soup and Asian meatballs

M2 will be stew

I weighed myself on Monday  - 181 !   Can't wait to see the 170's again !    (doc scale said 180 - but have been going by the scale at work) I will be so happy if I can get under my post baby weight of 175. which was 13 yrs ago !   

I bought spaghetti squash to make the spaghetti pizza.  But I think I will tackle that on the weekend.

I keep hearing about Applegate sausages - finally found some at my store but they are $6 for a little pkg - I didn't notice them at Costco - and not sure if they are cheaper any where else.  It would be nice to have something new in the freezer.

widget - how are you doing ?   Mary you sound like you are on top of it !!

Archived